transistor amp not working after shorting output

its a big old comunist amp from 70s or 80s i am not sure xdd btw i want to restore it in function at least i dont have all electronics from it as i mentioned before other half of the amp is long gone someone removed it for parts i think. also i only managed to make volume pot to work rest of them are not working also board thats for the potentiometers is in unknown condition because voltage that i can tap on to on psu board is low like 9v, so thats why i said someone replaced it with japanese one xd 16v and to amp board gets like 24v i guess psu board is raising voltage somehow. its sad how people who do not know electronics ruin such a device, its really sad, also heatsink from other board thats missing had one randomtransistor that was burned so someone put a random transistor some time xd. i will fix eq board and i will do a paintjob so it will look nice i forgot to mention i got it for 20$ with shipping xd it is a good project for me to restore :D i like doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240330_170330.jpg
    IMG_20240330_170330.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 30
tone board is really in bad shape, i measured all resistors they are ok for caps i cant really measure them but visualy they look ok. there are a lot of small components transistors or regulators i am not sure but i dont have any idea whats wrong, when i put all pots back there is some clues that it works i was able to adjust eq a bit but it seems like its not grounded. really strange i am not sure how to fix this if anyone is having a idea i am here to listen. here is a picture of the tone board. btw pads for potentiometers are damaged i can fix it later but thats not a problem. if you guys can give me a suggestion what can be wrong here i will appreciate it i am scratching my head for days because of this xd

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 16
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I did not do anything with it I only removed old pots that did not work. Also when I removed that purple wire it did not work at all. Strange I am not sure what's wrong here. When I said it's not grounded I mean when I power it and attach it to the amp it makes buzz sound like it it's not grounded I did it with few amps so I can be sure it's not the amp issue. I have no clue here

also i forgot to mention if i brige these two resistors i get a sound from input but a ton of buzz its almost unlistenable.
i really want to fix this board i can get those 3 band eq boards from aliexpes and add a eq and volume but i will loose all the other functions of this amp. so i have to fix that toneboard but i dont know how xdddd 😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• brigde.jpg
    brigde.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 11
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi sg97,
Without a schematic, or a huge amount of experience, you will not get anywhere. You must either replace or repair the circuit (replace the pots with similar values). Replacing the circuit with something else may be the start of a pile of trouble.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, you said they are bad. Okay. Tone controls are normally part of a feedback network. If the pots aren't there, it will not work properly. You could tack in fixed resistors to mimic the centre position of the pots and test from there. Don't expect it to work without the controls (or sub) present.

Reactions: 1 user