transistor amp not working after shorting output

btw i remember this amp working few years ago quality was not good it had harsh sound really on high volume, but now it works great transistors do not warm up even playing on almost max volume for a hour that i tested, nothing was warming up. so only issue is with grounding, btw connectors that i added are not the problem i tested it, so i should ground it but where thats a question. also for music is very loud but for guitar i cant use it more then 10 percent of volume it becomes very loud so it is good :D

btw amp is now working i will start finishing the box for it and front plate that i will mount jacks pot and power sw, btw how can i make simple 3 band eq for this amp ? i need simple solution that i can make myself, so i can have eq control, btw i had one eq board before that was from aliexpress it used too much of input signal so amp did not have same output as before adding that board,(not this amp) so i need solution for eq that will not do same thing as that cheap aliexpress board :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Your problem is in circuit grounding, or it could be in shielding. It's hard for us to tell without being right there with you.

Is it a hum, or more of a buzz? Hum is more shielding, a buzz is probably your circuit power supply.

Get the hum fixed first.

Reactions: 1 user
it sounds like if you have one wire from cable detached that kind of sound i call it hum, when i had bad cable on mixer i hear similar sounds so thats it, btw on biger volume its not noticable it does not increase with volume but is present, when i touch input ground or transistor heatsink it goes away.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You have oscillation most likely. Here you need a scope to confirm.

Try putting a 0.22 uF ceramic capacitor from each heat sink to your closest circuit ground. Short leads. The cap should be rated for 100 VDC minimum, higher gets you a better capacitor. 500VDC is common. You need to solder the one end of the capacitor to a ground lug, and screw that to the heat sink. The other end of each goes to your PCB ground near the power supply common if possible.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You need to provide a low RF impedance to ground. Since you can't just hook the heat sinks up to ground as is normal, you are forced to use a capacitor.

Normally output transistors are isolated from a grounded heat sink (good practice) by a mica insulator, bushings and thermal compound. That is how this should have been build. It also eliminates a shock or short hazard.

I don't care how you do it, I would mount the transistors properly and ground the heat sinks. Up to you. However it may be easier for you to use capacitors. You need a ceramic capacitor because it has low inductance (better performance at high frequencies). You are installing what is known as RF bypass capacitors.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just take the larger ones and use them. The 0.22 uF was just something out of a hat to make sure you had a good high frequency ground.

From each heat sink surface, a good electrical connection to a place on the PCB close to your power supply common (ground). The eaasiest way is to use lugs and screw them to the heat sink. You can loop the wire temporarily and try it under a screw head. Whatever works.