• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPS7A4700 low noise LDO regulator PCB

Hi Aleš, its time to make use of the white dual supply board I bought from you a while ago...

Both will be set to 5V, one delivering 200mA and the other 400mA and each will be fed from its own 6V AC transformer winding. Space is a bit tight and I'm wondering if the supplied aluminium block will provide adequate heatsinking on its own? - the supply will be bolted to the chassis but it is made of steel so not so good at heat dissipation.

What do you think?

Thanks

Ray

Space is a bit tight and I'm wondering if the supplied aluminium block will provide adequate heatsinking on its own?

Should be more than OK. I am using one of Ales' regulators to supply 3.3V to the DIYINK USB converter
and the isolator in my R2R DAC. I am using just the aluminum block that gets barely warm to the touch.

On another DAC I am using the same style reg to supply 5V at 500mA to power the WaveIO... this one is
mounted on a small piece of aluminium the size of the board... again no issues.
Voltage drop across the TPS is minimal ;)

Thanks for your answer :)
I was thinking about testing DC psu for my dam1021 r-2r dac. (I think 180ma for the positive rail and approx 50ma for the negative). Runnng AC for the time being.

Power input 7-8V AC or +-7-15V DC max 5W

Sincerely

It will work without a problem, but you must know that big capacitance at the supply rails of dam1021 r-2r dac may cause that you'll be listening to the capacitors rather than TPS7A4700 regulator. Still you can try with and without capacitors.

Hi Aleš, its time to make use of the white dual supply board I bought from you a while ago...

Both will be set to 5V, one delivering 200mA and the other 400mA and each will be fed from its own 6V AC transformer winding. Space is a bit tight and I'm wondering if the supplied aluminium block will provide adequate heatsinking on its own? - the supply will be bolted to the chassis but it is made of steel so not so good at heat dissipation.

What do you think?

Thanks

Ray

As Oliver already mentioned it will be OK. Just don't forget to put some thermal paste between aluminum block and chasis.

Should be more than OK. I am using one of Ales' regulators to supply 3.3V to the DIYINK USB converter
and the isolator in my R2R DAC. I am using just the aluminum block that gets barely warm to the touch.

On another DAC I am using the same style reg to supply 5V at 500mA to power the WaveIO... this one is
mounted on a small piece of aluminium the size of the board... again no issues.
Voltage drop across the TPS is minimal ;)

Oliver can you post a pictures of regulators in use, or are the projects still in development phase?

Best Regards,
Aleš

pix

Attachments

• breadboard.jpg
    breadboard.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 822
  • tps_reg 1.jpg
    tps_reg 1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 810
Aleš, just finished hooking up one of your dual boards to power the two sections of my JLSounds USB board;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nice and steady at 5.02V. I plan to use the sensing but the solder pads under the PCB were already bridged so I'll remove the board and fix that later. Also, I had some small self-adhesive heatsinks that I was going to use on a RPi so I've used them on the regulator devices to complement the heat bridge block.

I just need to do something with the output of the USB board now!

Cheers

Ray

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi folks,
....so after a Month ago I trayed the tps7a4700 from mravlca and was more than happy with the results.I have try this in the Marantz cd17MKIII player for supply the dac section.So a last few days I have put some mini regs with tps7a4700 from mravlca in some Creek cd player from my friend,and I have play a litle bit with the output capacitors and must say that I have become the best results if I have put Panasonic FC-47uF capacitor directly on the mini reg and than some 220uH (15ohm resistance)choke after the mini reg and than on the dac pin another 47uf capacitor Sanyo Oscon Sepc.With this configuration I become the perfect balance from top to botom of the sound and the high section never become agresiv but there is planty of micro and macro details.The bass is verry fast and deep and the mids are verry natural and neutral sounding.I have use this mini reg for the analog dac supply in this Creek cd player.I have try a few capacitors brands like Elna Crerafine,SilmicII,than Panasonic FC,FM,some Blackgate NX and some Nichicon muse KZ in output position,but like I say before the best posibile sound was with the Panasonic FC-choke-Sanyo Sepc that I describe on the top of thes message.So maybe for someone that will have some oscilation problems with this regs or just to try some output capacitors like me this is good starting point to try this solution.
In a next few days I will try this litle mini regs in some old Rotel RCD855 with TDA1541a dac to supply the analog supply section and for the power the Flea low jitter clock.Till now I must say that the big reg and mini reg from Ales working verry verry good and for this price this are among the best regs out there and some realy good competition to some realy expensive regs like from tenlabs,dexa,burson or beleson.I will report back what the results will be in this Rotel cd player.;)

@Stixx & @nautiboy Guys thank you for posting pics of your projects.

@audiorado Thank you also for the review. At this occasion I must say that latest verison of 3pin regulator doesn't have electrolythic cap at the output but smd ceramics, 2x22uF + 1x10uF.

Best Regards,
Aleš

Hi guys,

3pin regulator are now available. They can replace LM78xx regulator up to 15V output voltage. This is because two output capacitors are 22uF 16V. Maximum input voltage is 25V.
Price for one is 17€.

Best Regards,
Aleš

Attachments

• IMG_20150605_104359.jpg
    IMG_20150605_104359.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 889
Hello Ales,

does the 3pin have sensing possibility? And how about the heatsink?

Ronny

Hello Ronny,

this version of 3pin regs do not support sensing. Heatsink isn't included, but there is adhesive doubleside thermal tape on the back side of the PCB so you can attach your own heatsink.

Hi Alex,

Quick question...I just purchased a few of your single TPS7A4700 kits off eBay and was curious how to set a single board to negative voltage (I plan to use two singles for +15v/-15v).

Thank you,
Todd

Todd,

I attached picture how to connect two single PCBs together to get symmetrical voltage output. Please note that you do need transformer with dual output and not center tapped one.

Best Regards,
Aleš

Attachments

• TPS7A4700_2x_single_PCB.JPG
    TPS7A4700_2x_single_PCB.JPG
    673.7 KB · Views: 842
I have one of your TPS7A4700 boards.Now i need use +15V/-15V and +5.5V,so i need two boards more.
I have a 2x9AC 30VA transformer.Is it suitable for a +5.25 DC?There is maybe a little resource to raise the voltage to 7V.The power consumption is max 500 mA DC.2x15AC transformer should be ok?for a +15/-15.

I have one of your TPS7A4700 boards.Now i need use +15V/-15V and +5.5V,so i need two boards more.
I have a 2x9AC 30VA transformer.Is it suitable for a +5.25 DC?There is maybe a little resource to raise the voltage to 7V.The power consumption is max 500 mA DC.2x15AC transformer should be ok?for a +15/-15.

I am using 10V AC for 5V out of regulator and its a bit high. Heatsink gets pretty hot but it still works (~ 200mA load).

Thank you for the diagram Aleš. One more quick question....Is this how I would setup sense on two PCBs configured for symmetrical voltage output? Thanks for your help :)

Todd,

yes, this is the right connection when using sensing.

press57: As zoidbergslo said it is a bit high difference between input and output voltage. If you have chance try to get transformer with lower AC output voltage. Also one option is that you attach heatbridge to larger colling surface eg. aluminum chassis.
2x15V AC is ok for 2x15V DC output, but again it depends on the current of the load. Basically the point is to have low temperature of the PCB to ensure longest lifetime of the regulator.

Best Regards,
Aleš

Todd,

press57: As zoidbergslo said it is a bit high difference between input and output voltage. If you have chance try to get transformer with lower AC output voltage. Also one option is that you attach heatbridge to larger colling surface eg. aluminum chassis.
2x15V AC is ok for 2x15V DC output, but again it depends on the current of the load. Basically the point is to have low temperature of the PCB to ensure longest lifetime of the regulator.

Best Regards,
Aleš

Ok,I have now used 7.8V output with that 9AC transformer.Temp is about 30°C with the default heatsink.Don´t know how much is the current,but it´s this dac http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-async-xmos-384k-32bit-pcm5102-dac-ebay.html.

Maybe i could try,how it goes with exp.6.8V output instead 5.5V.

Current is 100 mA for both +15/-15 outputs.