TPA3251d2

Specially for the TPA3251D2 I would go for a transformer with secondary center tap.

or you take 2 of these cheap xformers per power amp.
The primary windings in series to increase allowable level.
Each sedondary drvives one half bridge.
And the winding orientation antiphase to compensate external magnetic flux pickup. (humbucker!)

Voltage distribution using series primaries is at the mercy of secondary loading when using two separate transformers.

Separate transformers with series primaries (or even parallel primaries) is not the solution to balancing the secondary side drive.

Testing the 3251 outdoors together with 2x 3132. 3251 is hooked up to the 15" bass, while 1x 3132 is powering the 2 fullrange drivers + 1x PBTL for the 12" "bassfill".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444650184.211868.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444650211.811223.jpg

I thought I read somewhere that a heat sink was mandatory on this chip but I went back to the data sheet and could not find the reference to that.

However.

At 150deg C max and 24.4deg C/W (junction to board) and 25 C ambient.

That results in a maximum of about 7W of power dissipation.

Based somewhat loosely on Figure 7, it would be best to watch your output power when running without a heat sink.

:)

Attachments

• TPA3251d2-power-loss.JPG
    TPA3251d2-power-loss.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 561

Attachments

• TDA7297  PIC 1.jpg
    TDA7297 PIC 1.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 827
  • TPA3251-8.jpg
    TPA3251-8.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 837
  • TPA3251-9.jpg
    TPA3251-9.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 795
A Couple different PCB Layouts for your consideration..

A layout using the TDK ERU 25 Inductor.

http://en.tdk.eu/inf/30/db/ind_2008/b82559_a025.pdf

Too bad TDK doesn't put a L vs I graph in the data sheet.

I would add it to my list if the line looked good.

A Couple different PCB Layouts for your consideration..

A layout using the Clarity TC600 85uf Capacitor.

ClarityCap TC600 Series Film Capacitor

I have also designed an amp based on the TDA7297 using this Clarity Cap.

Enjoy :D

The cap looks excellent for tube stuff but I agree with 5th element in that I question the use of a 600V cap. Even though it has an "ERS 3.0 mOhm" it is still only 85uF.

So an update.

I bought a nice shiny case from Aliexpress to put this in. I was quite surprised by the affordability of this as the entire case, shipped in under a week via DHL came to around £68.

Having done a lot of my own work on aluminium, both in terms of cutting it myself, having some laser cut and also doing a lot of brushed finishes. I can say it was worth every penny.

attachment.php

The case itself came flat-packed, with all screws and rubber feet included. Above you can see that the back panel has a cutout for an IEC connector. The case came with a fused connector too.

attachment.php

As you can see there is quite a lot of space left inside the case after the amplifier PCB. Mostly the width and height were required to fit in all the connectors on the back, but the length of the case was chosen specifically to allow for a suitable power supply at some point.

attachment.php

This shot gives an indication of how I've handled the heat sinking. Basically each chip has a small square of copper bar covering the thermal pad. This allows for greater separation between the chips and the heat sink above. As you can see I haven't exactly put a 'heat sink' as per say in place, but a thick aluminium bar. The bar is 15mm x 15mm, tapped with a 6mm thread in two places. This anchors the bar to the copper bar separators and keeps the chips cool. And if I need any extra performance I can easily put a heat sink on top of the 15mm bar.

attachment.php

With the lid on.

attachment.php

And on the Hi-fi rack, complete with colour changing illuminated feet. (Ignore the dust). The feet turn on and off when the amplifier is triggered from the preamp above.

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 842
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 870
  • case3.jpg
    case3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 828
  • case4.jpg
    case4.jpg