TPA3116D2 Amp

Hello,
How can I get the TPA3116 loud without shutting down?
I can use a enough powerfull supply but when I turn the volume up sound stops and came and go. Chip does not really get warm.
Thanks

Hi hansueli,

You say that the chip does not really get warm. Do you test that on the chip itself or on the heatsink?

What is your supply voltage and Ampere rating of the power supply?

What is your load impedance?

How long does it take from the sound disappears and until it returns again?

It sound like a protection circuit that is invoked and then activates the amplifier again.

Hi FauxFrench
Used with 5S4P Lithium Pack.
I want to use step-up booster for Changing the 18V to 24V to get louder sound. I want to use the 250W 10A Booster with TL494
Yours Loïc

Hi Loic,
Is it the amplifier with the red board or with the blue board that falls out when you play loud? I have the blue board amplifier and mine does not fall out.
Would you happen to have a 19V/90W laptop charger supply you can use as supply for the amplifier until the amplifier works stably?
FF

Hi FF
Both :-(

In such case I would use the laptop power supply on the boards individually and see if you have the same problem. If not and the boards individually work stable with the laptop power supply, it is likely to be the supply voltage that at a certain sound level (loading) takes a quick dive and makes the startup procedure reinitialize.

My reasoning is as follows:
Your amplifiers fail while most other have no problems. Both your amplifiers fail the same way. The chance that you have two bad units failing the same way due to internal defects is very small. That leaves three sources of failure – the power supply, the load and overload of the input.
You use batteries that appear to support high current and you have added good decoupling. It should not fail on the other hand there are failures. You have not identified the load but I assume it to be 4 Ohm or more. The input may be overloaded if the pre-amplifier can supply very high output levels or can provide low frequency DC that may be detected by the amplifier DC-protection circuit.
You will have to replace the elements one-by-one to find the source of the problem.

@hansueli: please answer FF's questions: what load/speakers are you using? Measure R of your speakers, there might be a short in 1 of the speakers.

Also change power to laptop power supply to check the power to the board.

Is the problem there as soon as you power up, or does it take a while? (something heating up?)

Going from 18V to 24V does not bring much: about 2dB.

Hi,

I am new on this amazing forum! I found it searching for a comparison between amplifier board tda7492 and tpa3116.

However, I haven't thought that they are many other amplifier board, and I am lost between all references.

I want to integrate two HP in my headboard. I have other electronic devices that I want to integrate in this headboard (Leds bulb, led strip, ESP32, googleHome) which are powered by 12V power supply.

I thought to use the same 12 VDC power supply for my audio system, but as I read some comments, maybe it is not the best idea. Do you think that I should use another AC/DC power supply dedicated to the amplifier board ? Or maybe use a higher power (24V) supply and add some DCDC converter (24VDC --> 12 VDC) for lights ?

Then, how can I choose between all amplifier board references for my use (TDA7492, TPA3116, TDA7498, ...) I even saw some project with this little amplifier board : OEP30W

51mqtu2wHhL._SX342_.jpg

I have no high expectation for this system, just to be able to have a nice sound in my bedroom, with bluetooth input.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I am new on this amazing forum! I found it searching for a comparison between amplifier board tda7492 and tpa3116.

However, I haven't thought that they are many other amplifier board, and I am lost between all references.

I want to integrate two HP in my headboard. I have other electronic devices that I want to integrate in this headboard (Leds bulb, led strip, ESP32, googleHome) which are powered by 12V power supply.

I thought to use the same 12 VDC power supply for my audio system, but as I read some comments, maybe it is not the best idea. Do you think that I should use another AC/DC power supply dedicated to the amplifier board ? Or maybe use a higher power (24V) supply and add some DCDC converter (24VDC --> 12 VDC) for lights ?

Then, how can I choose between all amplifier board references for my use (TDA7492, TPA3116, TDA7498, ...) I even saw some project with this little amplifier board : OEP30W

51mqtu2wHhL._SX342_.jpg

I have no high expectation for this system, just to be able to have a nice sound in my bedroom, with bluetooth input.

Thanks for your help!

There are indeed many boards to choose from. As a "newbie" you should at least once make a TPA3116 or TPA3118 amplifier.
They will work on supply voltages from 5V and up to 24V. 12V to 19V is recommended. They sound good and cost very little.
If you are interested in DIY, you will make many more later on. This is a good starting point.

There are indeed many boards to choose from. As a "newbie" you should at least once make a TPA3116 or TPA3118 amplifier.
They will work on supply voltages from 5V and up to 24V. 12V to 19V is recommended. They sound good and cost very little.
If you are interested in DIY, you will make many more later on. This is a good starting point.

Thanks you for your quick answer! I am ordering right now one of your proposal.

Do you have some HP references to work with this amplifier ? Maybe on the second hand-market with low prices ?

Thanks you for your quick answer! I am ordering right now one of your proposal.

Do you have some HP references to work with this amplifier ? Maybe on the second hand-market with low prices ?

Also I am a bit confused about the "HP". For long it was "Hewlett Packard". In the mechanical world I have sen it used for "High Power".

Should it mean something like "high preference" I give you a couple of examples:
DC 12 V 24 V TPA3116 D2 Hifi 2.0 Canaux 50 W + 50 W Stereo Audio Digtail amplificateur de puissance Conseil dans Amplificateur de Electronique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group
TPA3116 HIFI Haute Puissance classe D Numerique 2.1 Amplificateur conseil Caissons D'extremes Graves basse Haut Parleur amplificador audio 50 w * 2 + 100 w 10 25 v G9 010 dans Amplificateur de Electronique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group
Aiyima TPA3116D2 amplificateur audio Conseil Amplificador 100 W * 2 Haute Puissance HIFI Numerique 2.0 TPA3116 Double amplificateur de canaux Conseil dans Amplificateur de Electronique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group
DC 12 V 24 V HIFI TPA3116 Haut niveau Numerique amplificateur de puissance audio Conseil 100 W * 2 Deux Canaux Haute amplificateur de puissance audio Conseil dans Amplificateur de Electronique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

A few advises:
You will find TPA3116 amplifiers promised to deliver up to 2x150W output power. This is under very particular operating conditions and unimportant for you. Go for the high power amplifiers if you need once you know what to look for.
You can get TPA3116 amplifiers with a sub-woofer channel (2.1), with tone controls and with Bluetooth on-board. Many have noise problems with Bluetooth on-board and my experience is rather buy the amplifier and Bluetooth module separate such that you can use them independently of one another. You have Bluetooth "sticks" from $2 and upwards. For $12 you have a quite good Bluetooth receiver.
The power supply has to be more powerful than the power you expect to get out of the amplifier (trivial) and you control the max. output power with the supply voltage. A laptop 19V/90W charger (a "brick") is cheap and very useful for TPA3116 amplifiers. You should put 4700uF-10000uF extra decoupling between the power supply and the amplifier module as the decoupling on the amplifier board is very often a minimum.
NEVER operate a class D amplifier (like TPA3116) without a load (speakers). You may ruin the amplifier.
Good luck and welcome as DIY'er.

Last edited:
HP = Haut-parleur, in english loudspeaker (SP).

That I should have figured out.
You can use almost any normal "haut-parleur" with this amplifier. 8 Ohm, 6 Ohm or 4 Ohm. Choose speakers you like to use for the future. Eventually buy last years model on sale or even second hand. One day you will make another amplifier and then you have good speakers already.
TPA3116/18 chips are used in high quality amplifiers from "Allo.com" (to remain in the Canadian/French) and it is a semi-audiophile product when used right. Don't underestimate the quality due to the low price.

A few advises:
You will find TPA3116 amplifiers promised to deliver up to 2x150W output power. This is under very particular operating conditions and unimportant for you. Go for the high power amplifiers if you need once you know what to look for.
You can get TPA3116 amplifiers with a sub-woofer channel (2.1), with tone controls and with Bluetooth on-board. Many have noise problems with Bluetooth on-board and my experience is rather buy the amplifier and Bluetooth module separate such that you can use them independently of one another. You have Bluetooth "sticks" from $2 and upwards. For $12 you have a quite good Bluetooth receiver.
The power supply has to be more powerful than the power you expect to get out of the amplifier (trivial) and you control the max. output power with the supply voltage. A laptop 19V/90W charger (a "brick") is cheap and very useful for TPA3116 amplifiers. You should put 4700uF-10000uF extra decoupling between the power supply and the amplifier module as the decoupling on the amplifier board is very often a minimum.
NEVER operate a class D amplifier (like TPA3116) without a load (speakers). You may ruin the amplifier.
Good luck and welcome as DIY'er.
Damn!

Nice advices but I have ordered a board with Bluetooth embedded...
TPA3118 2x30 W 8-26 V DC Stereo audio Bluetooth Numerique Amplificateur de puissance Conseil Pour bricolage Jouets modele amplificador amplificateurs D3-001 de la boutique en ligne | Aliexpress mobile

Maybe I will order one of your above link. I haven't noticed the 2.1 version, maybe it is a good idea to add a subwoofer in my setup!

With yours advices, it is maybe a good idea to use a separate power supply just for the audio system, is a basic power supply like that is a good idea :

€ 0,42 30%de réduction | AC 110 V-220 V À DC 5 V 12 V 24 V 1A 2A 3A 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A 50A Commutateur Adaptateur Pilote led d'alimentation Bande Lumière
AC 110 V 220 V TO DC 5 V 12 V 24 V 1A 2A 3A 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A 50A Switch Adapter Driver Power Supply LED Strip Light -in Lighting Transformers from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I haven't any laptop power supply in my stock :(.

Thanks

Damn!

Nice advices but I have ordered a board with Bluetooth embedded...
TPA3118 2x30 W 8-26 V DC Stereo audio Bluetooth Numerique Amplificateur de puissance Conseil Pour bricolage Jouets modele amplificador amplificateurs D3-001 de la boutique en ligne | Aliexpress mobile

Maybe I will order one of your above link. I haven't noticed the 2.1 version, maybe it is a good idea to add a subwoofer in my setup!

With yours advices, it is maybe a good idea to use a separate power supply just for the audio system, is a basic power supply like that is a good idea :

€ 0,42 30%de réduction | AC 110 V-220 V À DC 5 V 12 V 24 V 1A 2A 3A 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A 50A Commutateur Adaptateur Pilote led d'alimentation Bande Lumière
AC 110 V 220 V TO DC 5 V 12 V 24 V 1A 2A 3A 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A 50A Switch Adapter Driver Power Supply LED Strip Light -in Lighting Transformers from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I haven't any laptop power supply in my stock :(.

Thanks

No problem. I have two different amplifier boards (TPA3110) that work without important noise. My concern with these boards is a female voice telling me, in broken English, if the Bluetooth is connected or not. A small issue of temporary irritation.

For the power supply, many use LED light supplies like the ones you suggest. I prefer "bricks" like this one: AC 19 V 4.74A 90 W Adaptateur pour Ordinateur Portable Chargeur Pour Leonovo 45K2225 ADP 65CH Un, IdeaPad Y510 Y650 5.5*2.5mm Alimentation F25 dans Adaptateur pour ordinateur portable de Ordinateur et bureautique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited: