TPA3116D2 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm not sure that the noise I'm experiencing is the same as your "whooooooouuuuuussshhhh" noise. The noise I get is very high pitched, not unlike that of a mosquito, just a lot louder.

Many DC-DC power supplies or DC-DC step ups are not ideal for audio in that they whine like a mosquito. It may just be the PSU you are using.

Higher quality laptop SMPS from HP etc, tend to be quieter but this is not guaranteed.

Try a different SMPS and see if buzz goes away. Also, try adding a CLC filter in between the SMPS and your amp.

Try making a CLC with 1000uF//1mH//1000uF seems to make a lot of my noisy SMPS go quiet. Bypass the 1000uF caps with a 100nF film cap.

The interesting bit is that this noise is only generated when I power both amps simultaneously from the same SMPS. If I power the amps individually, using two individual SMPSs, there is no whining - see setup pic in post #10609.

I have a 19V laptop PSU that I can test running both amps at the same time, I'll see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
The interesting bit is that this noise is only generated when I power both amps simultaneously from the same SMPS. If I power the amps individually, using the same SMPS, there is no whining - see setup pic in post #10609.

I have a 19V laptop PSU that I can test running both amps at the same time, I'll see if that makes a difference.

I'd say it's not unexpected. You're probably unlucky, in that your choice of components manifests that particular artifact.

I have pairs of mono TPA3118 boards powered in pairs off ASUS laptop bricks. They seem to work OK.

J.

Is there any possiblity to make the TPA3116 Amp more sensitive....or how to say it?

I bought it mainly as amp for subwoofer.

Aiyima TPA3116 2.0 Digital Amplifier Board Amplificador 50W*2 Support PBTL Parallel Mono Model 100W DC12 24V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

My old amp is 35W Auna amp-2520 device.
Subwoofer pre-out level on AVR was set to 0dB (can be -10dB to +10dB).

Now, with With AIYIMA TPA3116, set to PBTL, I was expecting much more power.

But even with AVR's sub pre-out maxed at +10dB, I am getting at least the same level of sound, as I have from old 35W Auna amp.

I am suspecting, that AVR's pre-out signal is simply too weak for TPA3116 amp, so TPA3116's volume need to be set at at least to 75%, or even 100% to give the same, or slightly better louder sound.

They are writing on aliexpress page for the TAP3116 amp:
Audio input sensitivity: dual channel 700mV, associated with 850mV
Input impedance not known.

Old 35W Auna amp as input sensitivity 280mV, input impedance 47kOhm.

Is there something that I can do for make TPA3116 amp more sensitive to input signal?
While testing some mp3 from smartphone, it can do pretty loud sound, possibly because of stronger output from smartphone.

I have also found some other TPA3116 amp from AIYIMA, this one is PBTL only, with sub crossover. Its input sensitivity is 500mV. So it mean that if I connect it instead that on I already have, it will be louder?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Don't worry, with a 19-24V supply the TPA3116 can make almost all speakers play unpleasantly loud. It is just a matter of finding the reason.
Did you try it with the headphone output of a smart-phone directly?

Yes I have tried it first with old mp3 player, then with smartphone. directly connected to amp’s input. With smartphone the amp was louder while set at the same volume. Even with my test bass tracks.

But my AVR has apparently too weak signal on its sub preout, even when set to max. It can be from -10 to +10dB and i have it on +10dB.

I think that I just need to somehow raise amp’s input sensitivity, or the level of input signal = louder sound on output..... if its possible somehow.
I cant set it for bigger gain, its possible to set it to 26 or 32dB and I already have it at 32dB.

Is it somehow possible to change input sensitivity on those TPA3116?

I also found other version of my current amp - it have sub XO and advertised better input sensitivity - 500mV than current one which has 700mV.
Or, will some preamp (those based on NE5532 from aliexpress) help boost input signal?

As long as an amplifier works within its linear range, the output amplitude is the input amplitude times the gain. If the output is not enough, the gain has to be increased somewhere in the chain. The amplitude somewhere in the chain can be reduced by a too high loading of a stage.
To check how each stage in the chain amplifies the initial input signal, you can download a 440Hz/1KHz test-tone MP3 from YouTube. With that as source, you can measure the amplitude at each output in the chain with a multi-meter (AC voltage setting) and calculate the actual gain in each stage for control.

32dB in the TPA3116 should not be increased. You may need a NE5532 stage to "beef it up" some 5-10 times.
Sensitivity and gain between amplifier components is a problem because no standards are apparently complied with in practice.

If you put all volume controls at maximum, its is still not loud?

Last edited:
It is slightly lower, or the same, when I set TPA3116 amp to 100% volume.

Because of difference in output power (old amp 35W, TPA3116 maybe 60-70W PBTL into 4ohm) I expected much more power.

Considering all the info I from here, I will go for one of those preamps based on NE5532. I hope it will boost input signal enough to be as loud on TPA3116 output, as I want.
Lusya Single Power DC 10 24V Low Pass Filter Bass NE5532 Subwoofer Pre AMP Amplifier Board with volume adjustmentA5 011-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
...will this one be suitable?

I wanted to replace my old 35W amp for DIY home cinema subwoofer with TPA3116.

Old 35W amp was set at 90% volume to produce sound as loud as I wanted.
With this TPA3116 I have expected the same level of loud sound while it is set to 50-70%.

But it only closely match up the volume of old 35W amp even when I set its volume to 100%. Even when I additionally max up subwoofer pre-out on AVR, which doesnt need to be maxed out with old amp.

Because of this, I started to suspect that input sensitivity of TPA3116, which is 750mV. Old 35W amp has 280mV.

Just ordered that NE5532 preamp, I am curious how it will perform.

It is slightly lower, or the same, when I set TPA3116 amp to 100% volume.

Because of difference in output power (old amp 35W, TPA3116 maybe 60-70W PBTL into 4ohm) I expected much more power.

Considering all the info I from here, I will go for one of those preamps based on NE5532. I hope it will boost input signal enough to be as loud on TPA3116 output, as I want.
Lusya Single Power DC 10 24V Low Pass Filter Bass NE5532 Subwoofer Pre AMP Amplifier Board with volume adjustmentA5 011-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
...will this one be suitable?

The volume control does not tell how much of the absolute output power you use. The volume control is only an indication of how much gain you apply to the input signal. Fully right on the volume potentiometer means 100% the input signal times the gain in the power amplifier. That may be far less than what the power amplifier is designed to deliver, if the input signal is weak, or enough to take the power amplifier to hard clipping, if the input signal is strong. The volume control is no absolute measure for anything.

It is very difficult for us to judge how close to the capacity of the TPA3116 you are because what is perceived as loud is fully subjective. Let's hope the pre-amp will solve the problem.

Hi shironator,
Here is a link to the current TPA3116D2 data sheet:http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3116d2.pdf
Page 6, sect. 6.5 line "G" gain(btl) lists the two resistors that set the gain at power-up.
Pages 13 and 14, sect. 7.3.1 table 1 and figure 27 give more info on this. You need to locate the two resistors connected to pins 7 and 8 and change them to get the gain you want.

You can set the gain on the TPA3116 board such that it matches the input level signal and allows the power amplifier to deliver its maximum output voltage (and output power). There is only the gain adjusting means you mention. With 32db amplification, you should not raise it further because your hiss-level may become a problem.

An example using easy values for the calculations:
A power amplifier reaches its clipping point at 20Vrms. It has a gain of 20 with the volume turned to maximum. Therefore, we need 1Vrms at the amplifier input to have full output voltage and power (1Vrms*20=20Vrms).
For that power amplifier, we use a pre-amplifier with a gain of 5 (with the volume at maximum) from the input. Thus, at the input of the pre-amp we need 200mVrms to have the 1Vrms needed for the power amplifier.
Let's assume we use an MP3 player at the pre-amp input. That MP3 player must supply at least 200mVrms at its output to have the power amplifier deliver its potential maximum. But, let's assume the MP3 player, at full volume, can only supply 100mVrms. Then, the pre-amp output will be maximum 100mVrms*5=500mVrms. And, the power amplifier output will be maximum 500mVrms*20=10Vrms. Assuming this situation, the gain in the signal string is not enough and we can maximum have half the output voltage of what is theoretically possible with that power amplifier.
To remedy this situation, we can raise the gain in the pre-amp to 10. Then the calculation looks like:
100mV*10=1Vrms -> 1Vrms*20=20Vrms. the maximum gain (depending on the position of the volume potentiometer(s)) is correct.

Last edited:
Hi shironator,
Here is a link to the current TPA3116D2 data sheet:http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3116d2.pdf
Page 6, sect. 6.5 line "G" gain(btl) lists the two resistors that set the gain at power-up.
Pages 13 and 14, sect. 7.3.1 table 1 and figure 27 give more info on this. You need to locate the two resistors connected to pins 7 and 8 and change them to get the gain you want.
Thanks, yes, I know about those. I meant my question for what FauxFrench wite before - you adjusting the Gain of the amp by volume knob. Then, it was little weird for me, that there is also other adjustment - by those resistors about which you talking about. He also answered this later, so its okay :)

You can set the gain on the TPA3116 board such that it matches the input level signal and allows the power amplifier to deliver its maximum output voltage (and output power). There is only the gain adjusting means you mention. With 32db amplification, you should not raise it further because your hiss-level may become a problem.
True, because of that, I also dont want to raise Gain further, to its maximum of 36dB. 32dB is plenty enough and I will try to amplify input signal with preamp which I already ordered.