TPA3116D2 Amp

Looks good to me...just what the data sheet ordered...

The input jumper in lieu of the input caps is exactly the way I did mine.

:)

Sounds good also. I could not find any datasheet with a PBTL dedicated design.

The easiest path to ground :)

This board is very easy to work with and the PCB is of somehow good quality considering it's price.

I am looking for coils that can handle two boards in parallel with little heat and found the goods bellow:

Wurth 7443321000
Wurth 7443631000

Sounds good also. I could not find any datasheet with a PBTL dedicated design.

The easiest path to ground :)

This board is very easy to work with and the PCB is of somehow good quality considering it's price.

I am looking for coils that can handle two boards in parallel with little heat and found the goods bellow:

Wurth 7443321000
Wurth 7443631000

Is it possible to run two board in parallel?

If so, is this to say that one could have a 2x100wpc@4ohm?

Is it possible to run two board in parallel?

If so, is this to say that one could have a 2x100wpc@4ohm?

Yes, you can. My goal is to have two boards connected in full parallel to see If I can improve bass performance.

In your case you are looking for two boards modified to pbtl. Get two yuanjing 2x50W boards and modify to pbtl as per post 671 . One board for left and the other for right channel.

[]'s

That s not what my question meant. Perhaps I read your comment wrong. I am interested in having the 100w at 4 ohm.

Take two 2x50wpc boards and turn into two PBTL boards. At 26v @ solid 4 Ohms speaker you will have something like 70wpc or 90wpc at 29v, with a speaker that is more like 3 Ohms @ 26V you will have 112wpc or 140wpc at 29v.

If you want more than 120wpc of usable power per channel then you should join me in the trip of getting two tpa3116d2 to work in full parallel mode at 29V .

I would love to have Saturnus or other class D guru helping on the subject of getting these things to reach 190wpc :p

If you want more than 120wpc of usable power per channel then you should join me in the trip of getting two tpa3116d2 to work in full parallel mode at 29V .

This is what Im interested in. All single chip implementations options are fairly basic to my knowledge but what you’ve described is something I have been thinking about also. Its great to see cheap implementations of this IC turning up, I have been keeping an eye out for about a year now. Im sure the future should bring us some nice boards using this IC.

I have seem many requests on how to put the tpa3116D2 to work in PBTL and so there you go.

Having in mind that with this board we don't have the proper reference for components I am open to any questions you may have.

Awesome.
Looks much better than what i did to my board.
Can you please explain the benefits of all the parts you changed on the board.
I'm a noob and have neither knowledge nor a big stock of components.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have seem many requests on how to put the tpa3116D2 to work in PBTL and so there you go.

Having in mind that with this board we don't have the proper reference for components I am open to any questions you may have.

Virpz,
Thank you so much for such a detailed HOWTO guide on this procedure. I see that thread is going to be like the new how to mod your TA2020 thread. Just to clarify, are you saying that two boards in PBTL can be paralleled to provide 200 watts/channel to one speaker?
X

Thanks for the compreensive guide Virpz. Another thing to try in the future...

I'll end up getting a dozen of those boards...

When I first came here to diyaudio seeking for help on improving a circuit I had zero knowledge I could not read a datasheet. Comprehensive guides along with the answers of seasoned members really made the difference between "That's too complicated, Ill give up and purchase the plug an play thing" and "So that's how it works, amazing!".

I am still a noob with alot to learn but anytime I have the knowledge and the time, it is my pleasure to be here doing something that has been done for me before.

Gostaria também de saudar o compatriota e deixar um canal aberto para troca de experiências .

[]'s

Awesome.
Looks much better than what i did to my board.
Can you please explain the benefits of all the parts you changed on the board.
I'm a noob and have neither knowledge nor a big stock of components.

I will not enter into the dielectric type or the wire type discussion, let's just put that you change from polyester to polypropylene because you can.
From a non subjective perspective the values and some characteristics of these components will change the behavior of filters and so your speakers will also sound different. Inductors for example are one of the worst components to have in the way of an audio signal but they are also needed. In this case we are looking for inductors with high permeability core and high current capabilities at 1.2MHz or higher.

In the following link you can have a good read on that Trevor Marshall - Class D Audio Amplifier Design - TDA7498 Output filters

Here is how to properly calculate your filters
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-filter-your-speakers-all-boards-welcome.html

Here you can simulate filters
(Sample)RC Low-pass Filter Design Tool - Result -

here you can convert farad to microfarads mh to uh and so on and on
Convert Inductance

Virpz,
Thank you so much for such a detailed HOWTO guide on this procedure. I see that thread is going to be like the new how to mod your TA2020 thread. Just to clarify, are you saying that two boards in PBTL can be paralleled to provide 200 watts/channel to one speaker?
X

It's my pleasure .

I am saying that you can get two or more tpa3116d2 in PBTL config to work in parallel.
Since I don't have any directions on how to achieve that I will try to get two boards to work in parallel just for the experience of doing it. If the result sounds good then I will move forward and plan the pcb to properly connect two tpa3116d2 in parallel. By connecting two in parallel we will have a decrease in efficiency that is hard to know for sure but I guess it will be something between 84 and 86%.

Two TPA3116d2, PBTL, paralleled, 29V supply, considering 86% efficiency

@ 2 Ohms = 360W RMS
@ 4 Ohms = 180W RMS
@ 6 ohms = 120W RMS
@ 8 ohms = 90W RMS

Four TPA3116d2, PBTL, paralleled, 29V supply, considering 83% efficiency

@ 2 ohms = 698W RMS
@ 4 Ohms = 350W RMS
@ 6 Ohms = 232W RMS
@ 8 ohms = 174W RMS

:eek:

Two TPA3116d2, PBTL, paralleled, 29V supply, considering 86% efficiency

@ 2 Ohms = 360W RMS
@ 4 Ohms = 180W RMS
@ 6 ohms = 120W RMS
@ 8 ohms = 90W RMS

Four TPA3116d2, PBTL, paralleled, 29V supply, considering 83% efficiency

@ 2 ohms = 698W RMS
@ 4 Ohms = 350W RMS
@ 6 Ohms = 232W RMS
@ 8 ohms = 174W RMS

How did you remove/disable the 27V +0%/-10% overvoltage protection circuit to get it to accept 29V?

How did you remove/disable the 27V +0%/-10% overvoltage protection circuit to get it to accept 29V?

I guess we did lose some watts for now as I didn't even knew about this protection at 27v :D.

Any tips on connecting two boards in parallel ? Do you think it is worth of trying ?

I don't believe he removed it. I believe its more to do with a miss interpretation. Removing parts of the IC's circuit would indeed be impressive work;-).

I guess my scope is not enough :p

I guess we did lose some watts for now as I didn't even knew about this protection at 27v :D.

Any tips on connecting two boards in parallel ? Do you think it is worth of trying ?

No. Given that the chip is stable to 1.6ohm in mono mode and has over current trip at 7.5A that should be more than enough.

I'd not recommend more than 25V supply voltage, and certainly not more than the 26V max operating voltage specified in the datasheet.

Please note that this chip should not see a decreased efficiency in mono mode as one of the aspects of that is disabling the input and comparator circuit for one of the channels so idle consumption should be lower than with the chip in stereo mode.

No. Given that the chip is stable to 1.6ohm in mono mode and has over current trip at 7.5A that should be more than enough.

I'd not recommend more than 25V supply voltage, and certainly not more than the 26V max operating voltage specified in the datasheet.

Please note that this chip should not see a decreased efficiency in mono mode as one of the aspects of that is disabling the input and comparator circuit for one of the channels so idle consumption should be lower than with the chip in stereo mode.

Alright, better keep it within the specifications.

Please, correct me if i'm wrong: In PBTL mode, with 25v supply it will start clipping right after 79W RMS @ 4 Ohms, right ?

I really appreciate your inputs.

Thank you