TPA3116D2 Amp

bump on Greutel's post #3217.

some kind of on-board llpxo?
lower low-pass output filter on the .1 side of things?
or does the end-user need to provide appropriate input?

I suppose each 2.1 board may handle this in a different way--
it would be a great help to know before ordering.
(yes, I'm that cheap right now)

bump on Greutel's post #3217.

some kind of on-board llpxo?
lower low-pass output filter on the .1 side of things?
or does the end-user need to provide appropriate input?

I suppose each 2.1 board may handle this in a different way--
it would be a great help to know before ordering.
(yes, I'm that cheap right now)

the stereo side is reported to be fullrange.
it is said that the subwoofer side plays below 150hz.
but there seems to be a consesus that says that those 2.1 boards are sub-optimal, because your speakers would have to fit the above.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi all,
After a successful tpa3116 build I am looking for a 6 channel amp solution.
Lookin to build the NaO Note II RS speaker, it requires 8 channels in total. I was thinking of using a 6 channel 3116 PCB for high, mid and lower mid range, and two bridged LM4780 to power the bass.
The NaO Note II RS uses the mini DSP system for the crossover, the model required varies on amp choice. This leads me to my question....

Can the tpa3116 & lm4780 be driven to full output with a max input of 0.9V?
If they can, would allow using the cheaper 2x4 minidsp, instead of the 4x10.
Many thanks
Ian

I use a 2x4 miniDSP to drive a pair of YBDZ 3116's and it appears to be quite capable of driving it to near clipping. I never have a need for more than 60% volume on the miniDSP output volume pot.

"it is said that the subwoofer side plays below 150hz"

have any brave souls been puttering around
with eensy-beensy capacitors or such to change the crossover frequency?

and without telling us all about it?

-The Peanut Gallery

I wouldn't know. i would search this tread for eg. "john8" to see if I had that board. I do remember some changing inputcaps. There was a measured operating problem with the .1 amp too, didn't synch switchingfrequency, even dropped freq to 100khz I remember.

Well if you rule out tonecontrol boards for lowered sound quality and just look at ebay offerings, 4 + 1 remain. The red, blue, green smd and hiamplifier green TH, and SMSL 36pro (tpa3118). That's just ebay.

edit: there is a 6th on ebay: WAV+MP3+TPA3116 TF USB Lossless music player digital amplifier 50W +50W

Last edited:
TPA3116 has 4 selectable gains, the highest of which (36dB) is more than adequate to swing the output to clipping from 0.9V input. An LM4780 can have virtually any gain you like above 26dB (just choose the feedback network resistor values to suit) so also can be driven from 0.9V.

Thankyou for the replies,
Looks like TPA3116 6-channel amplifier board would be a good choice.
Are there any different versions or variations of the 6 channel board to look out for?
Would the lm4780 be a good choice for Bass duties, each pcb powering 2 x Peerless 830668. Or would you advise on another solution?

Many thanks
Ian

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have found all the information about the Voltage in the WikiGuide.

But Some indication about the Ampere required?

I think you can back this out using Figures 13 through 16 on page 10 of the datasheet. Here's how I look at it:
  • Assume 4ohm speakers (Figures 14 and 16)
  • Assume 24V power supply
  • Maximum output power is 75 watts (at 10% THD+N, Figure 14)
  • Efficiency at 24V input, 75 watt output is about 88% (Figure 16, 75 Watts is off the graph, but I think it's a reasonable approximation)
  • If the output is 75 watts at 88% efficiency, then input power is 75/0.88 = 85 Watts
  • 24V power supply current rating needs to be at least 85/24 = 3.5 Amps.

Note1: Figures 22, 23 and 26 (pages 12--13) apply if you are using the amp in PBTL mode.
Note2: Of course you'll need to re-run the numbers if your input voltage and/or speaker impedance is different.

You'd probably want a little more current rating, just to have a some headroom. (Although, on the other hand, you're unlikely to be running continuously at the amp's max output rating, particularly at 10% THD+N, so those calculations already have some headroom figured in.)

Hopefully I'll be corrected if my thinking is wrong. That's all based on my intuition.

This would be for 1 channel then? 85watt supply with 100% efficiency for the supply itself, so technically for a 2 channel 90% efficient powersupply to power full power you would need a 190 watt supply?

Well most of times I use less then 2 watt I believe. I did hear more limited low bass running 2 PBTL boards of 1 smps supply the other day though.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
This would be for 1 channel then? 85watt supply with 100% efficiency for the supply itself, so technically for a 2 channel 90% efficient powersupply to power full power you would need a 190 watt supply?

I'm assuming the output power numbers from the datasheet are for both channels combined. I don't know that for a fact, but my thinking is that they always advertise the chip as a "2x50Watt" or "1x100Watt" amp. But the charts from the datasheet list output power >50W. But indeed, if my assumption is wrong, then you'd have to double the result.

I don't believe power supply efficiency comes into play here. I think most power supplies list their output current as a spec that can be interpreted at face value; how efficiently they achieve that is another matter. The efficiency only comes into play when you are concerned with the amount of input current to the power supply itself.

Having written that, I realize "input" and "output" need to be qualified. In other words, there are three "positional" power lines in a typical system:
  1. AC input to power supply (typically mains from the wall)
  2. DC power supply output, also known as DC amp input (between PSU and amp)
  3. AC amp output to speakers

Well most of times I use less then 2 watt I believe. I did hear more limited low bass running 2 PBTL boards of 1 smps supply the other day though.

I suspect a 50 W NES-50-24 would be adequate for a 4 R speaker, for 2 R maybe two?

Run it hard and see if the PSU goes into current limiting...

the watts in spec for powersupply often is output too like the A rating, I gather from ebay listings. the watt rating is independant of number of volt, so I thought easier.

2X50w at 21V for tpa3116, 50W seen in graph for 1% THD, so it looks like powergraph per channel

Last edited: