Those pesky Abbreviations!

Really? I didn't know that. Are you sure about that?

Jan

Yes, see chapter 5 of the SI brochure: https://www.bipm.org/documents/2012...-1149-c3e029ad8232?version=1.14&download=true The rule that there has to be a space between the numerical value and the unit symbol is also in there.

Actually the IEEE demands that numerical values and unit symbols are hyphenated when used as an adjective, while the SI rules forbid this; according to the SI, a numerical value and symbol form a mathematical expression and mathematical expressions are not hyphenated.

Being German it feels wrong not to capitalize it.
English is currently the best way to share one’s research findings with scientists in other parts of the world.

I remember, while at school, being advised to study German, as that was the language of engineering.

I never got as far as studying German. I got thrown out of French class and made to do woodwork instead!

The woodwork classes have come in handy though!:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
English is currently the best way to share one’s research findings with scientists in other parts of the world.

I remember, while at school, being advised to study German, as that was the language of engineering.

It was still like that when I started my education. The transition to english came when I was in the second class or so. A few of my books were in german (this in the Netherlands). Heavy emphasis on the importance of the german language. Glad I paid attention ;)

Last edited:
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
In my school we learnt writing with capital. Same with writing 1.5V or 1.5 V…. Both being better than 1.5v or 1.5 v

Lower case v for volt is certainly wrong. It's upper case V for volt.

As for the space between the number and the unit, I was taught in grad school to add the space. The reasoning was that it should be written the same way regardless of whether you wrote it all out as text or used numerals and abbreviations. So "one volt" = "1 V". Space. Same with percent. "Ten percent" or "10 %".

Some formats (APA for example) dictate that there should be no space between the number and the unit. So my ten percent above would be 10%. I suspect that's to avoid line breaks between the number and the unit.

Tom

I never got as far as studying German. I got thrown out of French class and made to do woodwork instead!

The woodwork classes have come in handy though!:)

Never got to grips with French hence I chose Latin as my 2nd foreign language.

I am not sure if this is a joke or if you missed my point (badly).
Will copying this extract from the SI conventions, which is in accord with your original point, make amends? :hug:

"Recommended names and symbols for quantities are listed in many standard references ... However, symbols for quantities are recommendations (in contrast to symbols for units, for which the use of the correct form is mandatory). In certain circumstances authors may wish to use a symbol of their own choice for a quantity, for example to avoid a conflict arising from the use of the same symbol for two different quantities. In such cases, the meaning of the symbol must be clearly stated. However, neither the name of a quantity, nor the symbol used to denote it, should imply any particular choice of unit."

I've actually had to rise from my seat to get my headphones!

"A green worm pours a glass towards a glassmaker around eight o'clock."

"Un ver vert verse un verre vers un verrier vers vingt heures."

For those not familiar with the French language, the pronunciation of most of the words in this odd phrase sounds exactly the same.

No wonder I never understood French! :confused:

Last edited: