Those pesky Abbreviations!

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Regarding jean-paul's post above, I thought there was a rule for 1.5V denoting a dc voltage, and 1.5v denoting an ac voltage. Or something like that.

I forget who it was that said, "The good thing about standards is there's so many of them."

I vaguely remember that for certain units, stringent people used lower case for instantaneous values, caps for average values.

Thus is the perfect discussion to help me figure out resistance as it relates to intrinsic device curves. V=I xR, we can agree on, which is the same as defining resistance as R = V / I. But would it be more accurate or useful or correct to say R = dV/dI (calculus derivative)?

I think the quote you're looking for is a grouchy Marx one:
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I've actually had to rise from my seat to get my headphones!

"A green worm pours a glass towards a glassmaker around eight o'clock."

"Un ver vert verse un verre vers un verrier vers vingt heures."

For those not familiar with the French language, the pronunciation of most of the words in this odd phrase sounds exactly the same.

No wonder I never understood French! :confused:

Nothing wrong with this sentence [emoji41]

I once cooked both my an my russian friend’s brain-cell with a „competition“: the sentence with more occurrences of the words [hare, hair, heir, here] won.

I won:
Here’s the hairy heirs hares hairs (and then some which I forgot)…
Prize was a drawing.
IMG_1938.jpg

The name was under consideration for change as far back as the 1930s. In another thread I read of a "Radio Physics Course" book from 1933 in which the term capacitor is described as having been "lately adopted" due to it being a better description of a device used to introduce capacitance into an electrical circuit.

Attachments

• Capacitor Sub Boxes.jpg
    Capacitor Sub Boxes.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 65
I also read that "condenser" seems to have faded from use from the mid 1930s through about 1950. Dubilier was using capacitor by 1940 but Allied catalogs didn't switch to capacitor until around 1950.

My uncle worked for TCC (Telegraph Condenser Company) in Bathgate in the 1960s and gave me a tour of the factory. I remember a vast hall full of winding machines spinning rolls of aluminium foil and waxed paper!

Telegraph Condenser Co.Limited opened at Whiteside in 1947 - known to all as the TCC- in 1965 it was taken over by Plessey and became Plessey Capacitors Ltd. In December 1981

I also read that "condenser" seems to have faded from use from the mid 1930s through about 1950. Dubilier was using capacitor by 1940 but Allied catalogs didn't switch to capacitor until around 1950.

My uncle worked for TCC (Telegraph Condenser Company) in Bathgate in the 1960s and gave me a tour of the factory. I remember a vast hall full of winding machines spinning rolls of aluminium foil and waxed paper!

Here are two capacitors out of a 1928 Zenith model 39A.

A 1 MFD condenser from the radio, and the main capacitor filter block out of the power supply.

(Photo courtesy of azenithnut over on Antique Radio)

I find history stuff like this honestly fascinating