Those pesky Abbreviations!

I thought that mfd was used for all "condenser" values?
Here's a photo of a 1970s ELCAP electrolytic capacitor marked with MFD.

Short forms for micro farad include: MFD, mfd, MF, UF and μF.

Attachments

• ELCAP NP Electrolytic.jpg
    ELCAP NP Electrolytic.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I thought that mfd was used for all "condenser" values

e.g. 0.001 mfd, 10 mfd, 1000 mfd and even (I guess) 10,000 mfd ?

It is likely that the m changed to u to avoid confusion with milli. Millifarad isn't used a lot, but usual values for inductance can be uH or mH; same issue.

I guess the fd changed to F to be consistent with A, V, H, Ohm, Hz etc. All initials of the name-giver and thus capitalized (except as noted above). I don't know when that was introduced, maybe when the introduced the SI system?

Jan

"Recommended names and symbols for quantities are listed in many standard references ... However, symbols for quantities are recommendations (in contrast to symbols for units, for which the use of the correct form is mandatory). In certain circumstances authors may wish to use a symbol of their own choice for a quantity, for example to avoid a conflict arising from the use of the same symbol for two different quantities. In such cases, the meaning of the symbol must be clearly stated. However, neither the name of a quantity, nor the symbol used to denote it, should imply any particular choice of unit."

EXACTLY my point.

What is your point? I don't get it.

Since this thread has taken a different direction, I am out of here. If you want to continue the discussion send me a PM.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thank the electrons that we use µF or microfarad instead of MFD (which I always read as "manufactured"). Even worse is the stupid habit of MMFD. Using "millifarad" while already using "mfd" for "microfarad" did not make it better either :)

Here are two capacitors out of a 1928 Zenith model 39A.

A 1 MFD condenser from the radio, and the main capacitor filter block out of the power supply.

(Photo courtesy of azenithnut over on Antique Radio)

First time that I see both names being used in 1 device. Fascinating isn't it?

Last edited:
You'll be good at Latin abbreviations then e.g. etc. et al!

N.B. (;))

Latin is a dead tongue
As dead as dead can be
First it killed the Romans
Now it's killing me!

(Sunday Post, Comic Section, Oor Wullie, circa 1960)

Definitely not dead for me and a few friends. I have a book with some of the best Latin quotes somewhere in one of my bookshelves. Probably the best quote is "in excreta torres cerbrum vincit"

I shall leave that up to you to translate :D

m = milli (1/1000th) - of a metre
k = kilo 1000 - metres 1 km
M = Mega (10 ^ 6)
G = Giga (10 ^ 9)
et cetera

MFD would thus be Mega Farads - one fxxxked up big capacitor.

I suspect "condenser" was dropped in the English language due to the fact condensers are devices used to dry out air, viz. de-humidify. But I do not know - will research this sometime. Original use was probably to signify that a high charge was pushed into a small space, hence condenser. English can be an extremely confusing language :)

@ ferret

Do you mean cerebrum?

And I'm having difficulty with torres.

However, I've an inkling as to what you are suggesting based on the excreta!

P.S. My quote is from Oor Wullie, a well loved wee Scottish boy who features in his own cartoon strip.

It is not my personal opinion! :)

Attachments

• Oor Wullie.png
    Oor Wullie.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 58