Those pesky Abbreviations!

As far as I know, ships are measured according to their displacement. I.e., a 100-ton ship will displace 100 tons of water. It has practically no relation to the actual weight of the ship.

Tom

According to wiki the long ton is also called the imperial ton or displacement ton and it seems the US navy uses it as the latter when describing their ships.

"In the United States, a short ton is usually known simply as a "ton",[1] without distinguishing it from the tonne (1,000 kilograms or 2,204.62262 pounds), known there as the "metric ton", or the long ton also known as the "imperial ton" (2,240 pounds or 1,016.0469088 kilograms). There are, however, some U.S. applications where unspecified tons normally means long tons (for example, naval ships)[2] or metric tons (world grain production figures).

Both the long and short ton are defined as 20 hundredweights, but a hundredweight is 100 pounds (45.359237 kg) in the US system (short or net hundredweight) and 112 pounds (50.802345 kg) in the imperial system (long or gross hundredweight)"

Of course the most important unit of volume is the hectolitre (100L) as that is the unit in which German breweries measure their output. ;)

Yes. And ships lay lower in warm water ;-)
To integrate with the theme of the thread, there's lots of abbreviations on Plimsoll lines!

Attachments

• Plimsoll Lines.jpg
    Plimsoll Lines.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 74
And it is 10kHz, not 10KHz or 10khz or any other combination. k stands for kilo, Hz for Mr. Her[t]z.

Yep, k for kilo is always lower case, unlike all the other prefixes above 10^0.

1 Hz is one Hertz. Not one Hert.

About a cubic decimetre of water weighing 1 kg at 25 ºC at the equator: Doesn't it technically need to be in a normal atmosphere (101.325 kPa, 25 ºC, at sea level)?

Maybe we should discuss the boiling point of water too... :) Where I'm at, water boils at 96.4 ºC.

Tom

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As far as I know, ships are measured according to their displacement. I.e., a 100-ton ship will displace 100 tons of water. It has practically no relation to the actual weight of the ship.

A ship will displace its weight in water. What other weight could it be?

Rating for tax and fees is based on the *volume of wine* inside.
"tonnage (volume) should not be confused with displacement (the actual weight of the vessel)" Tonnage - Wikipedia

I am not sure if this is a joke or if you missed my point (badly).
Why are you being so combatitive?

This is a light-hearted thread. :cool:

My point was simply that there is a very good reason for standardising the symbol for electromotive force in order to avoid confusion with other quantities with names beginning with 'e'. There should be nothing contentious with that.