Those pesky Abbreviations!

I just lookes it up on wikipedia. It unfortunately is way more complicated (to me)
It sure does.
They even had to concoct something about different salt solutions to make any sense of it.
Hence my challenge about it being hooey. Who do they think is going to believe that?
My money says Perry Mason would make quick work of this.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
It is not. Two reasons:

(1) You can use any variable (or "letter") you like to indicate current, as long as the meaning of your variable is clear from the context. "I" is often used as the variable for current, but one should always define it's meaning. There is no universal notation that holds without definition of the variables.

(2) The ampere (A) is the SI unit of the current. There may be other units for current, and "ampere" is not the same as "current".

So I'm back on field one :( :clown:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The first few are anglosaxon and refer to body part lengths. A very long time ago in 1820, before the world adopted the metrical system, we had the "thumb" here which is exactly the same as an inch. Problem is that not every thumb is as large as the other and this also counts for feet :)

Units for things involving light are somewhat rare animals with lumen, candela and lux. Lumen simply means "light" in latin.

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Let's address the elephant in the room here - time

Measures of time are not metric, and we all use it, US, Imperial, everywhere.

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 28, 29, 30 or 31 days in a month

And who knows how long a year is (365 days, 364.25, 52 weeks, 12 months)?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
There were meetings many decades ago to make the time system metric but it just didn't work out that well :) I guess we learned to live with it.

The centiday (14.4 minutes) and decaday probably would not make people happy. A 2 centiday lunch break would then be 28.8 minutes Standard Old Time. That is less time than we have now.

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
To make things more confusing, US gallon doesn't equal an Imperial gallon. They diverge on the definition of a pint - 16 oz for US, 20 oz for Imperial. Which leads to a quart = 32 vs 40 and a gallon = 128 vs 160.

I think I got the numbers right, the idea is correct.

So watch of for cars' mpg ratings.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Although, time spans greater than one second may be given in units such as kiloseconds (ks), megaseconds (Ms), gigaseconds (Gs) and so on.

And, scientists often record time as decimals as they are easier to plot on a graph.

I remember an attempt (or game) where some folks wanted to introduce internet-time… (or Biel Mean Time… imagine this: Biel Mean Time, I mean, who‘s Biel? :D:D)

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
US length measurements under an inch are traditionally base 2, which is the second best base after base 10.

1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16... these are 2^-1, 2^-2, 2^-3, 2^-4 ....

Same for interest rates on mortgages.

Music theory is founded upon base 12 I think.

And then there's gigabytes (and megabytes). Do the prefixes mean 1000 or 1024?