• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Think he means these X

Attachments

• E3EB5B30-85BE-4E69-8CD5-2CE4FA4E2BBD.jpeg
    E3EB5B30-85BE-4E69-8CD5-2CE4FA4E2BBD.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 156
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is what I am using. I love them - I wish I knew about these years ago. I found out about them here, when I realizedd the VFET board has no Fastons or Molex.

Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit, Preciva Hexagonal Sawtooth Self-Adjustable Ratchet Wire Terminals Crimper Kit with 1900pcs Wire Terminals Crimping Connectors Wire End Ferrules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XBLGPC...abc_9B03J8SMT1DG3NA5RWSG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I really like it - use it everywhere now. It’s like the little things on the end of your shoelaces. I have read that the pin end crimp allows you to not use solder to make a firm tip. The solder wicks into the wire and makes it a “solid” wire where it’s important to be flexible and will break from strain faster.

images

Example of hexagonal (radial) crimper:
515o1FycbFL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I first used these on the DIYA VFET amp and they allow flying leads to be soldered without becoming stiff due to solder penetration.

948318d1620027817-diy-sony-vfet-builders-thread-50d9fe0a-cb6d-4abb-a7b0-f515850cb44a-jpeg

948322d1620027819-diy-sony-vfet-builders-thread-f8dbac5a-635e-4efc-ab45-f8b1d8aec4c1-jpeg

Also used on the terminal blocks of my LuFo P2P prototype amp:
954041d1621739943-lufo-amp-39w-se-class-28v-rail-lufo-build-02-jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
This is what I am using. I love them - I wish I knew about these years ago. I found out about them here, when I realizedd the VFET board has no Fastons or Molex.

Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit, Preciva Hexagonal Sawtooth Self-Adjustable Ratchet Wire Terminals Crimper Kit with 1900pcs Wire Terminals Crimping Connectors Wire End Ferrules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XBLGPC...abc_9B03J8SMT1DG3NA5RWSG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I really like it - use it everywhere now. It’s like the little things on the end of your shoelaces. I have read that the pin end crimp allows you to not use solder to make a firm tip. The solder wicks into the wire and makes it a “solid” wire where it’s important to be flexible and will break from strain faster.

Example of hexagonal (radial) crimper:

I first used these on the DIYA VFET amp and they allow flying leads to be soldered without becoming stiff due to solder penetration.

Also used on the terminal blocks of my LuFo P2P prototype amp:
Great Thanks xrk

Hi Folks,
I have just had multiple requests to bring back the Yarra main board. I have added the listing back on my shop ans it’s accepting preorders. I should have the boards on hand by the end of the month.

It would make a * very attractive * bundle with the already “designed” custom HiFi2000 Yarra preamplifier case.
Do you know what was the MOQ on them?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
I have just had multiple requests to bring back the Yarra main board. It’s been sold out for some time now but I can reorder given that there is some interest. I have added the listing back on my shop ans it’s accepting preorders. I should have the boards on hand by the end of the month.

Great news!

Suggestion: It would be update the Etsy page re the amplifier daughterboards currently available

Currently it simply says - Compatible preamp core daughterboards modules include the Melbourne and WBA18.

Things have moved along quite a bit since you wrote that!

:king::cheers:
I can reorder given that there is some interest

Before a re-run: have there been any ideas or changes thought-of in the two years since they were first done? that means the board could be improved – and more saleable?

(That suggestion is a broader evolution of me thinking) if you had dropped the second set of line outs (?), I would think that would be an attractive added feature for some folks :cheers:

With an optional custom case :tongue: … ticks every box :king: :cool:

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Otto,
Yes, you are right - there are indeed two sets of RCA’s out on the chassis and provision for it on the PCB.
794311d1573581130-yarra-preamplifier-hpa-melbourne-db-buy-5fbc3d1c-d61b-4e27-8ea4-3cd81eff8743-jpeg

I will update the Etsy listing to describe all the available daughterboards. I think we just added an OPA454 with integrated sub mezzanine PSU for 70Vpp output and an Aksa Lender also coming soon. That’s 9 daughterboards total I think.

Hi Xrk

Thanks for the confirmation.
And updating the Etsy

Imo having different/ changeable amplifier daughter boards are an excellent approach. …

Hifi design evolution: Not just the Yarra, who first :idea: thought of that, first made interchangeable amps/ hifi core stages as modules?

Last edited:
The fitting - custom - case

That really just leaves one biggish issue - a suitable good case
I’m guessing it’s not likely there will be another run of the cases? (A finger to the wind guide to would be: how many were in the first run, and especially was their minimum order quantity fir the special price)

Halfway through writing this message it occurs to me - while the cost would of course be higher - as the customisation design is done, I could contact the maker of the cases and ask how much for a one off. (I recall they’re in Italy … do they speak English or should I run the message through Google translate?)

If anyone involved in setting up the case purchase has any little tips, or especially if there’s a design reference number that would be much appreciated

Actually, I haven’t read any feedback on the case, I should see if there is some, anything which in hindsight might of been a bit different?