The Weather

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I hope you sister is OK, flooded basements are not much fun.

It's a small world.. Wellesley.. Spent almost a quarter of my life there. No longer. Some of the earliest memories I have. I've been on the south shore within a stones throw of Boston Hahbah for even longer.

My wife has said in a moment of annoyance that you can take the boy out of Wellesley, but not Wellesley out of the boy. She is from Weymouth, another one of the many W towns around here. (Waltham, Weston, Winthrop, Winchester - all near by..)

My dad was a weatherman in the RAF ( 1950 ). Paper and pencil got you 18 hours. Super computers 5 days. It allows everyone to be an expert of saying not easy. My dad built radar stations. Weatherman was a task for who would do it. If German he built them for you.

Climate change people seem to think it's easy. They talk as if it is. Climate change likely is real. Solutions as yet are not. My big worry is Belgium, Holland and UK lands opposite. I don't care who is to blame. We have to fix it. The Dutch are world experts and won't wait for us make our minds up.

We are being treated to a glorious sunny day in NEOH with temps in the mid 70's -- just perfect for the Arboretum's summer festival this evening!

My wife has said in a moment of annoyance that you can take the boy out of Wellesley, but not Wellesley out of the boy. She is from Weymouth, another one of the many W towns around here. (Waltham, Weston, Winthrop, Winchester - all near by..)

Aren't they all featured as locations of bank robberies in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle"? (last night on TCM)

Chris, if I may, if you look at the shot in that link you’ll understand that doesn’t enter into this equation no matter how correct you are in other situations.

Late catching up on this, which shot exactly, Cal?
I do recall hearing that a short video clip of “a train on fire” was, as I think you noted, unrelated.
This could be one of those cases - rather like the hotel fire in Victoria a couple of years ago - where absolute certainty as to cause may not be possible.

Chris, my friend, the thought of a bottle and it's light focusing ability, I believe is not related to this. Yes you are right, but not here. I am of a strong belief this is human related and I don't think it's a human machine. I believe it's a single individual and they may never even have known how stupid what they did was. There are plenty of examples of that including a volunteer firefighter who carelessly flick his butt after taking a leak and then a break, and walked away causing one of the more devastating fires in our memory.

The pic I am referring to is the one in the previous link that shows whence it started and how the winds that howl up the canyon can't help but feed the fire.

Not at all an unreasonable observation. I can remember driving that long hill on a road trip to PG a few years before the Coquihalla was finished - an absolute wind tunnel for sure.
Can’t imagine being responsible for trying to identify the exact location cause of any such conflagration, but as I think you implied, even doing that is no guarantee that similar acts of human stupidity won’t be repeated; and let’s just pray that we don’t see too many more of these “1000yr events” in our lifetimes.

Such a gloomy-gus.

8 billion times the tiny possibility equals an event where nature attempts to reduce our numbers.

Get over it.

I recall back when my grandparents owned a 1955 Chevrolet, the sun shined through the windshield and caught the front seat on fire. That was back when the scientists of the day thought the next ice age was coming.

Thanks DT

All time heat records were broken in June and same is expected in July in Finland. 30C+ temps are common also above Artic Circle, whis is rather uncommon, and lake water surface is 23-25C everywhere.

My summer vacations started June 26th and I got a 3y rescue dog Patrick as partner to my 6y bitch Willa. High temp has perhaps helped to tame the dogs, and "second life" of two single dogs has started rather nicely. We have spent lots of time at our summer cabin where dogs are unleashed all the time. Wheaten terrier is perhaps the easiest terrier, but Pate has a lot to learn when meeting other dogs... Pate is the one with curvy tail.

Attachments

• foreca 120721.jpg
    foreca 120721.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 140
  • pikkukontiossa 0721.jpg
    pikkukontiossa 0721.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 120
  • veneessä 0621.jpg
    veneessä 0621.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
By the age of 10 I had already been putting out brush fires. All started by cigarette butts. The only part of a broken bottle that is convex is the bottom. Although you would think an intact bottle is double convex, the inside would be double concave. Of course to start a fire it would have to pass IR, which would rule out most colored bottles.

Of course blaming a fire on a bottle relieves liability of a forgotten cigarette butt.

Just tested a clear bottle and the result was a slightly concave effect!

Last edited:
The Earths' climate is dynamic. It has always changed and always will, regardless of human activity. A mere 10,000 years ago the ice was more than a mile thick in the spot where I sit and type right now. That's a small slice of geological time for such a radical change in the local weather. The current alarm over global warming is based on the unspoken notion that the climate is stable, so the entire argument has no basis in reality. Modern scientific measurements have only confirmed what the climate has been doing forever. No real cause for alarm unless you're planning on living for another 10,000 years.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Earths' climate is dynamic. It has always changed and always will, regardless of human activity. A mere 10,000 years ago the ice was more than a mile thick in the spot where I sit and type right now. That's a small slice of geological time for such a radical change in the local weather. The current alarm over global warming is based on the unspoken notion that the climate is stable, so the entire argument has no basis in reality. Modern scientific measurements have only confirmed what the climate has been doing forever. No real cause for alarm unless you're planning on living for another 10,000 years.

You may well be very right. But if, say, sea levels go up 50cm in the next half century, many people will get badly hurt. Including, if you happen to live at the wrong place, your children and grandchildren.
That is a very valid concern, and it is a good idea to think about what you can do to slow it down or prevent it.

Jan