The Weather

Very cold with morning frost, sun/showers and an easterly wind.

Yesterday's beach constitutional was, as we Brits say, bracing!

Attachments

• RoughSea.jpg
    RoughSea.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 72
We have had several days of frosty mornings over the last couple of weeks with a few needing windshield scraping or pre-starting the car.

Saturday, Sunday and today have been rather crappy with 40 to 45 F (6 to 8 C) temperatures and constant drizzling rain. How bad is it? I have a shirt on. Still no shoes though.

Tomorrow is supposed to be rain free with some sunshine maybe, temps still just above freezing. I have a french drain system that needs repair to prevent a frozen front yard. That will require digging up some buried flex pipe to find the clog. Fun stuff.

We have had the driest Spring & Summer here in South East Scotland. The full length of the East Coast has been similar. Being a salmon fisherman I had hoped to get fit again following open heart surgery (back in April) by doing a lot of fly fishing! No chance! The local river, the world renowned Tweed - where salmon fishing as a sport originated - has had one of its poorest seasons in living memory. We have had failure of runs before, but never all three runs (Spring, Summer and Backend - Fall to most of you ) - have all failed this year. The reasons are many but the major factor is undoubtably the large number of Avian Predators (mainly Cormorant and Merganser) which we are sure are decimating the juvenile fish populations before they ever get to sea to grow to maturity. Seals populations have multiplied at a very very fast rate of progress and they too shovel out three or four mature fish a day and probably more when we have very low rainfall making the river too shallow and hot for them to enter.

It has now turned cold... but is still dry...we had our first white frost yesterday. A bitter NE wind is giving a very bitter wind-chill effect and the fishing does not show signs of improving before the end of our season on 30 November.

Last edited:
It was a lot of hard work growing blueberries here this year.
After every little shower of rain I had to run buckets of rain water from the water tank at the front where there is a big roof area and not much space to the back where the tank is big and the roof small.
They did well with only a little bit of scorching of some young shoots. They don't grow if you use tap water.

Even bomb proof plants had problems.
I had to spray the leaves on runner beans but no blight on tomatoes.