The Weather

Fish farming is a big thing, looking at the charts, Carp is still the most farmed fish at nearly 25 million tonnes, Tilapia are ca 3 million tonnes, and Salmonids are ca 2 million tonnes. But this is just the registered farming, in many countries people still farm their own fish in ponds for consumption. Farmed fish can cause lot of pollution if it is not done properly, just like all other kinds of farming. So just wondering what the estimated numbers are.

Was almost -10 c this morning.

Not being paid enough ... in Norway??!!:confused: ;)

Made a trip to the Sub-cambrian peneplain a few miles away. Hardly no wind, pretty cold 5-10C and a marvellous sunshine.

Attachments

• IMG_6275.JPG
    IMG_6275.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 139
Not being paid enough: to freeze. :)

But anyway, you probably know how expensive stuff is here. We had my wife's parents from Bali here some years ago, and let's just say that they do not ask for money often. There seems to be a big drain in my bank account.
We are so poor here, most people have to go to Sweden to afford some Bacon, Beer & Booze. ;)

Snowing.
Was a long day at work, people are slow in traffic. I'm blaming it on all the electronic systems that are completely useless in winter conditions, beeping for no reason at all... People don't watch the road or feel the tires on the surface any more. ABS is useless, TCS is silly, and those anti skid stuff ruins the fun.

Pisses me off every time I get an alert from the car when it's 4 degrees c, what is that for anyway? "Dingdingding!" says the car, and me goes: "****, what's wrong this time? oh, it's that useless 4c crap again..."

Hasn't happened on the Ford Edge yet. Mind you I'm only 1800 kms into it but so far so good. It's a bit overwhelming and somewhat unsettling at times when I am inattentive and the car takes over the driving for me. It'll take some getting used to but as I age, I think it's good that I dug deep into the piggy bank for things that might save my life one day.

Today: Clear and a high of 4º. Rain on the way.

I have no experience with the new style "help" systems. My 11 year old Honda Element has 1st Gen drive by wire. It abruptly cuts power when a wheel spins. You can disable the system, but not from the driving position. You need to hit a button on the leading lower edge of the dash as you are getting into the car. Once the engine is running the button has no effect, and you can't reach it anyway without mashing your head into the steering wheel unless you have really long arms.

So its snowing or raining outside and in a rush to get into the car, I forget to hit the button. Then I'm sitting at the end of our dirt road with wet muddy tires and I go to pull out into the main road. There are blind corners in either direction (mountain road) and a clearly posted 40 MPH speed limit, I don't see anything so I mat the go pedal (4 cylinder 140 HP), just as I see 45,000 pounds of flatbed coming out of the turn at 15 to 25 OVER the limit.....

The "help" system sees the inside front wheel spin, and cuts all power. There is about 1 second of hysteresis in the loop before power returns, and it's longer if the wheel spins again (a reflash to solve broken transaxles).

There have been too many close calls and several deaths caused by out of state drivers in the fracking industry going far above the speed limit in big trucks, water tankers and flatbeds. Give me back the spinning tire, at least I can get the car out of the way of the idiot that can't stop in time.

There have been too many close calls and several deaths caused by out of state drivers in the fracking industry going far above the speed limit in big trucks, water tankers and flatbeds. Give me back the spinning tire, at least I can get the car out of the way of the idiot that can't stop in time.

High 20's here in NEOH. Put snows on 2 of 3 vehicles this week.

Early Friday evening is the worst time to drive in the Cleveland area. Folks cash their pay checks at the gin mill. Biggest issues are the red-light-runners.

Last year was the worst for I-80 traffic accidents that I can ever remember, and I do this drive once or twice per month. When two more more trucks slow down to 45mph with their blinkers on, it's time to take a deep-breath, put on some classical music or Sinatra on the Sirius, and just bide your time along with them in the right lane.

Snowing.
Was a long day at work, people are slow in traffic. I'm blaming it on all the electronic systems that are completely useless in winter conditions, beeping for no reason at all... People don't watch the road or feel the tires on the surface any more. ABS is useless, TCS is silly, and those anti skid stuff ruins the fun.

Pisses me off every time I get an alert from the car when it's 4 degrees c, what is that for anyway? "Dingdingding!" says the car, and me goes: "****, what's wrong this time? oh, it's that useless 4c crap again..."

4C is when water molecules start aligning in the proper formation for ice crystals. In short, it starts getting slippery at that point. That's why the warning. And as they align, they actually get farther apart. So 4C is the most dense fresh water ever gets, and it tends to fall to the bottom or water bodies. And that's the only reason ice forms on the top of lakes and not from the bottom up (which would be disastrous). I've always thought it was a pretty fabulous system...

... I've always thought it was a pretty fabulous system...

Thank you for the information, it was new to me.
But where I live, I wish it could be turned OFF. Sometimes the same message comes up several times on a single drive even.

There's no message for wet leaves on the road, there's no message for undercooled rain, there's no message for ice, there's no message for snow.
Not to mention most of the sensors around the cars beeps and throws up all kinds of errors even before the snow starts coming down, it's just droplets of water that turn to ice around the sensors, and there you have it, errors all over.

Lights blinking, beeping sounds, I've started to completely ignore them, because they hardly ever provide relevant information to the situation at hand. And I think it makes people worse at driving.

It's completely allright that people want to be careful and take their time under difficult road conditions, but maybe it's a better idea to stop on the side of the road if a line starts forming, or when trucks or work cars catch up to you, to let them pass, many have schedules to keep, and hard limits on hours behind the wheel.

... Anyway, it looks nice outside now with the snow, much brighter.