The Weather

Sounds a lot like our conditions here. That makes sense since a lot of our weather comes from the south up the east coast. It’s been real wet here lately with a lot of rain. Another couple of inches coming today and tomorrow. It was dry and hot here this summer and some areas of the south west tip of Nova Scotia experienced drought conditions with many dry wells and water rationing. This rain will help them somewhat.

6 deg F (-14C) overnight. 11F when we went to 11am thanksgiving dinner. Peaked at 15F for 15 minutes and is going down again.

Balmy Boston may be a degree hotter?

Funny you should mention that, PRR. I was going to post that this morning when we got up it was 9F with -7F wind chill. Not too far south of you. Yes indeed, folks, it's COLD out right now. And at 9pm Thanksgiving day (11/22/18) it's 11F. WTF? It's still only November!

Carl

Yeah, weather “patterns” are funny that way, and I doubt Gaia gives a turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich about our complaints. She’s literally got nothing but time on her hands and will certainly survive the next several extinction class events with as equal aplomb as the others of which we think we understand the causes and timelines.

Hear that - is that high order harmonics of gravitational waves rippling through our collective consciousness, or just the Universe laffing?

Last edited:
Just north east of Maine near Halifax Nova Scotia it’s the same deal. It was -10C yesterday afternoon with a brisk wind (wind chill-20c). It’s the coldest November weather that I can remember. Sun is just coming up now here and it’s -11c although there is no wind. We had the hottest and driest summer on record here in Nova Scotia this year. Just looked at the low temp for yesterday from Environment Canada. -12.5c ! The record was-11.7 set in 1971. Looks lie temps will return to normal by Sunday with +7c and rain.

Yeah, weather “patterns” are funny that way, and I doubt Gaia gives a turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich about our complaints. She’s literally got nothing but time on her hands and will certainly survive the next several extinction class events with as equal aplomb as the others of which we think we understand the causes and timelines.

Hear that - is that high order harmonics of gravitational waves rippling through our collective consciousness, or just the Universe laffing?

Absolutely. The name, "Friends of the Earth" amuses me, like it gives a toss about us, it'll probably heave a great sigh of relief when we've gone. Plastics will become part of the geological structure, life will go on, but probably not as we know it Jim....

+1 to us being a insignificant bunch of bio-mass in the grand scheme of things. We're still very good at being stupid though, I know I do my part being an excellent example of waste of space and resources. But who knows? Maybe we can do something right some time in the future.

-11 c here.

Edit:
Had to add the picture, you guys have probably all seen it, but I just remembered it, and it's kind of funny so...

Attachments

• A cold winter day in Minnesota.jpg
    A cold winter day in Minnesota.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Kind of amused where we are at -14C overnight and +5C daytime high, roughly the same conditions as Toronto* and the UK today. Here it's "get out and enjoy the nice day" and in Toronto it's an Extreme Cold Weather Alert by the health authorities. In the UK they're just happy it's not raining but are wary of snowfall.

I understand that for a city like Toronto it's a means to open up shelters for the homeless and such, but that is not a cold day to me.

* Toronto just broke an all-time record where it went to -13C overnight, beating the old record by 2/10ths of a degree C.

Last edited:
Make that collective cluelessness, and I'm with you. As a species, I'm not so sure we have much of any kind of actual consciousness, collective or otherwise.

Incidentally, this reference ( Scientists weighed all life on Earth. It’s mind-boggling. - Vox ) estimates that humans + our livestock weighs 0.16 gigatons of carbon, while the entire "wild mammals" category weighs in at 0.007 Gt C.

In other words, we humans and our livestock weigh 23 times more than the combined weights of every whale, elephant, hippo, and rhino, along with the other approximately 5400 species of mammals. (Do the world's mice outweigh the worlds whales?)

The scientists didn't break out pets as a separate category. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out that dogs and cats together outweigh all wild mammals.

-Gnobuddy

But what about fish? Was farmed fish part of the equation?
The paper lists fish at 0.7 gigatons of carbon. Farmed fish wasn't broken out separately.

Considering the enormous size of the world's oceans and lakes, my guess is that farmed fish make up a very small percentage of the total number of fish on earth.

Keep in mind those are numbers from the present time, and most animals on the planet have been wiped out over the past few centuries. Also from the article:
The authors of the PNAS article estimate that the mass of wild land mammals is seven times lower than it was before humans arrived (keep in mind it’s difficult to estimate the exact history of the number of animals on Earth). Similarly, marine mammals, including whales, are a fifth of the weight they used to be because we’ve hunted so many to near extinction.
-Gnobuddy

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
6 deg F (-14C) overnight. 11F when we went to 11am thanksgiving dinner.

We went out before the crack of noon, not just to get a table, but to take this picture for holiday cards.

Three cameras, heavy coats, gloves, spectacles, and another tourist standing in the best spot and yakking in my ear at her cellfone. Obviously the dogs are 'shopped.

Attachments

• xmas-2018-sample.jpg
    xmas-2018-sample.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 80