• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

It's actually about 1.2-1.3v between + and _ rails and I find all the legs on Q3 have rail voltage on them. I should see about 2 volts less on the collector if I'm not mistaken. I think the diode may be toast. If it is, I think I know why and will discuss if correct.

Any thoughts you wish to through out are welcome.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Let's see if I can reply to the transformer snubber question. The goal of the snubber network is to contain the oscillations in the transformer secondary that get excited each half cycle when the rectifying diodes or in our case, the rectifying FETs, turn off. If you choose to tune it exactly it's a matter of following the process Mark Johnson has documented with the transformer plus the fixture to excite that oscillation. And an oscilloscope to see what's happening. The windings not being tested should be shorted You then choose convenient values for the two capacitors and adjust the resistance until the oscillation is damped out. Mark recommends the C in the RC leg be about 15x that of the other C. My choice was somewhat different. The value of R is not a knife edge value so getting close is good enough. I chose capacitor values of 10nF and 100nF and a resistor value that's in the ballpark based on use in other circuits. If you want to get closer use Mark's fixture and test accordingly.

@X or jhofland (I hope)

Got my new boards and parts to populate. Thanks to all who make that possible including Michaels time saving Mouser BOM.

My question relates to the snubbers discussion #216-218. I have gotten into the habit of Q test jigging all my trafos, so I would like to verify parts and position.
#1, Are R1 and R2 the snubber resistor positions and are C2 and C3 effectively the series capacitors for R1 and R2. Called Cs by Mark. and then C3 and C4 the parallel capacitors - called Cx by mark. #2, will I be oK with the values of 150nF for C2 &3 and 10nF for 3 & 4. R1 & R2 will be between 12 and 20ohms. New trafos coming.
Thanks for your oversight. Trying not to mess up the SLB project.
Regards,
Don

Joined 2019
Paid Member
thanks JT

The pinouts for J6 & J14 don't make sense to me.

After some testing with the ohmeter:

Looking into J6 (female on the PCB)

Pin 1 or 3 can go to the base of 2SC5200
Pin 2 goes to the collector
Pin 3 goes to emitter

Then the same is true for 2SA1943?

Actually ignoring the J6 J14 schematic and looking at the print, it makes sense, but looking at those with pins to J17-18-19-20 etc, is just confusing as hell for us newbs lol

JT

JT

I was just getting ready to start my SLB build when I saw your post. Thank you. I was thinking there was something wrong with me. My brain was really struggling to decode those J5-J7,J6-J14 pictograms.:eek::eek::eek:

And thanks to X for explaining the real way to figure it out.

Don

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Solder issue

Populating my v1.2 SLB boards. Great boards by the way. Thank you. Ran into the issue discussed in post #669. Happened on the C23 install. All was going smoothly until then. Thought it was a good idea to review my soldering practices. I use a Hakko 951 and on this board with a T15-D16 tip. The tip is a 1.7mm chisel tip. Been doing it hot, 750F. kind of a standard Kester 63/37 w/3.3% rosen 0.8mm dia.

Looking for specific suggestions on all these items/questions.
1. tip number or dimensions
2. temperature
3. Solder
4. possible cleaning with acid wash
5. possible (washing) with flux only and pre heating with said to prep pad

Did I miss anything?

My gut feeling is this is not a contamination issue rather a board build issue that causes imperfect technics to show up where I may have gotten by previously.

All comments and suggestions welcome. Has anybody knowingly solved this issue?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Don

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I did not experience any issues like that. I use 600-650 degrees usually, and truncated cone type tip (not a pin point SMD tip, flat end is perhaps 1-1.5mm). I remember reading about the issue. I did not use any kind of wash or pre-fluxing.

I use Cardas Quad Eutetic solder.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Either hot air gun works make sure the temp is not so hot that it melts your other components. What you want is to warm the PCB up to 125C to 145C with the hot air, that’s generally a safe temp for the components. Especially if blown from bottom side where there are no components. Then the iron has to work a lot less harder to melt and wet the solder. An IR thermometer is useful.

So I've spot looked through some postings but not finding what I'm looking for. How big of a class a amp will this support? What are the current capabilities or is it scalable with same boards.

When I tested my 4ohm Alpha Nirvana to clipping (1x SLB per channel), I got voltage clipping happening (22v DC rails ... into 3 ohms) when the amp board was pumping out 5.8a.

Andy

Gremlin Dispatched

It's actually about 1.2-1.3v between + and _ rails and I find all the legs on Q3 have rail voltage on them. I should see about 2 volts less on the collector if I'm not mistaken. I think the diode may be toast. If it is, I think I know why and will discuss if correct.

Any thoughts you wish to through out are welcome.

This post an another further back describe an issue I was having with the neg rail being 1-1.2v higher than the pos. I looked over all the solders with a big magnifier, saw nothing that raised flags and proceeded to test nodes. I found the first abnormal reading at C16+C18 1000uF caps, the reading were elevated here. I went on to test all the resistors and pulled the BJTs for testing. All looked good to me. I even lifted some connections so I could test caps properly... nothing amiss. WTF?

Okay, so for having looked at this over the course of 3 days, I came to the conclusion it was a board trace, or connection issue of some kind. I started running traces...

I got to one point in my work and found when I tested across one trace, which included a resister, I could see the proper resistance across the resistor and at both ends of the trace. OKay problem elsewhere... After going through everything I decided to drop some power back on and do some more tests. As I went back to the same trace again I had an open on the trace. Huh! shut down the power and wait 15 mins had a smoke and thought about that. Go back to trace and check continuity without power and guess what, I have it and can see the resistor too. WTF? I gator clip the leads on the far end of each trace and take a probe and push/pull jiggle, no change in reading.

Thinking I must have been wrong I dropped power on it again and checked again, but this time I pushed, pulled and jiggled and saw 3 volts where there was none before. Oh my, took power off and waited, then I got out the soldering iron and heated the part up and removed it... test okay, looks okay, so I put it back in. This was in an area of the board it can be hard to get solder flow on the pads.

Now take into account I looked at this area with a loupe and saw nothing amiss. I flowed solder from both top and bottom this time and fired it back up. Quick test with a bit of shake in my hands from ground to C16 and the voltage was spot on... switch to NVout and voltage is perfect. SONOFA

It appears as though the the connection was testing good when no voltage was present and opened when voltage was applied. That was a hard fix for a rookie like myself, but it was also a very rewarding to do it myself.

I had sent a PM to X on this asking for some help and he said he would give me a hand, but I really wanted to fix this myself. This circuit isn't very complicated and I couldn't believe it was kicking my *** so badly. It became I either fix it or take a hammer to it, but be damned if I was going to ask for more help.

Well, I'm glad the hammer remained in the toolbox. It's time to fire it up today. I already tested the MX board and just need to drop the daughter on and solder up the inputs. All goes well, I will be listening to my first true mono build of the M2X.

NOTE: Take extra care when testing with probes on this board. Large areas of the board (planes) are either hot or grnd and a probe slightly off the pad can pierce the insulation and cause a short.

Example, I was test the BCE for proper voltage and I slipped off the leg and the probe which pierced the insulating layer on the board. This took the 29v rail right into the ground plane. Crack! WTF? I was looking at the meter and didn't understand how I shorted something. THe probe was only off the intended position by a mm or 2, but enough. I guess my catlike reflexes and a very robust circuit saved my *** as the supply still works as intended, but mind your probes. Especially when you are trying to probe the proud soldered leads... You have to apply some pressure to get a proper reading and it's so very easy to slip off and if the barrel of the probe is still in contact with the lead and pierces the ground plane....

Be careful!!

JT

Last edited: