• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A member asked me if the SLB could be used to provide 7A current at 22Vdc output at the load. Jhofland ran the sims and it appears that everything is still within design limits as long as we are using it at the lower voltage and that there is limited adjustment of the output voltage with the pot. It should be used to adjust the cap Mx to “eat” about 1v of AC ripple at the second cap. So this is about 3Vdc drop. But do not use for higher voltages than 22v at 7A. This is almost at the limit of the ripple current rating on the first cap.

You may know what Class A amp uses 7A at +/-22v.

The BJT pass transistors need plenty of heatsink though at 21W each.

Also, you should probably parallel the big power resistors, say two 0.22R side by side or use a 10W however you can fit them as they will get hot.

Last edited:
The idea was to have those positions available in case we see oscillation - but will initially leave unpopulated. As I said, our earlier tests with the CFP cap Mx had issues with oscillation. We will redo the simulation though to make sure performance is not too negatively impacted.

Just to confirm - do you populate both C24 (47pF) and C17 (1000uF) or do you leave C24 out if the SLB does not oscillate?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Not overkill but there are less expensive ways to get sufficient (and quiet) power for the TPA3255. An 800w 38v (can be tweaked to 50v) SMPS for LEDs can work very well.

If you must go with a linear PSU with a trafo and rectifier the SLB single rail can work well to provide a “hum free” linear PSU with much smaller bulk caps.

I have used Class D amps with a convention trafo, bridge and bulk caps - I can hear the mains hum.