The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you will use only active voltage reference component(s) the drift will be mainly governed by their spec. Any additional passive resistive element in the Ref (I see a trimmer in your photo) will translate the temperature settling of M2 VGS and the PPM of R6 by I to V action. Also the PNPs 2Vbe drift will add to Vo, but its minor percentage. The total drift it can be insignificant or objectionable regarding the application. Its not critical to start at 12.04V on powering an analog circuit and end up with 12V after a while for instance. These reg circuits are not conceived with precision applications in mind, but they can have a respectable amount of it if you will skip the adjustable Vo trimmer facility and rely on stiff active voltage references only. Wide bandwidth low flat Zo and low noise with minimal components in no series pass is their prime line of characteristics.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use only LEDs in the Vref if it not must be adjustable. Simple, cheap, low noise, effective. How many for your Vo target, 5-6? Try now that is handy on the breadboard out of curiosity. No, you do nothing wrong. These are hot running circuits, will show some temperature settling.

Buy a few dozen IR LEDs. These generally have a lower Vf.
You can mix and match the red and IR LEDs to give the Vref you require without having to include an adjustable resistor.

You can use a variable current CCS for the Vref string. This allows you to trim the Vref voltage by a few percent, since Vref is dependant on the current flowing through the LEDs/Zener/resistor string.
Once you know what Vref components get you into the output voltage ball park you adjust the CCS current to trim the Vref and finally swap the variable CCS current resistor element to a fixed resistor.

This does not get rid of drift due to semiconductor parameter drifting with temperature. But it does allow removal of resistance in getting your final voltage and this reduces the overall drift percentage.

Reflektor for Preamp Power Supply

Hi Salas

I would like to replace my PS Audio Preamp "Power Supply" with Reflektor,
hope may improve sound quality.

PS Audio Preamp use transistor MPS8099 and MPS8599 with data as below :

Vceo = 80 Vdc
Vcbo = 80 Vdc
IC = 500 mAdc
PD = 625 mW

Original Power Supply :
2 EA Troid Transformer CT, 24 - 0 - 24 VAC / 1 Ampere (Dual Mono)
Target Output voltage : 26 - 28 VDC.

I do not know power consumption, because I have no tool to measure it,
as well as no operating manual.

This old Flat Preamp, only volume control without trebel and bass control,
build maybe 1979 by Paul McGowan president of PS Audio - PS Audio

I only have DMM, it is possible to me to build Reflektor, please advise.

If possible, please info the lastest schematic of Reflektor suitable to my
preamplifier.

I confuse to use the correct Zobel value.

1. 2R2 + 2.2 uF
2. 2R2 + 0.22 uF
3. 0R47 + 0.22 uF
5. 0R2 + 2.2 uF
4. 1R + 470 nF
6. 1R + 33 nF

Regarding heatsink for M1 and M2 can I use heatsink data as below :

Length : 41.6 mm (1.638 inch)
Width : 25 mm (0.98 inch)
Height : 38.1 mm (1.5 inch)
Thermal Resistance (C/W) = 3.8
Surface Area = 13.765 mm2

Thank you for your help.

Rgds,
Sun

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The voltage is high limit the current is high limit in those MPS transistors, we don't know the real dynamic consumption of the pre though. If we must meet max of those transistors, then spare for M2 is high also since it will need burn double. If not, maybe your sinks could do. Better make some series reg you may fancy or a capacitance multiplier... Else, we need full data of that load. A current limited shunt plan must know all for any answers.

Thanks Salas for your replay.

Could you info me easy way, how to calculate full data of that load.

Do you think Series Reg or Capacitance Multiplier better than original LM317 and LM337.

I do not have any reference how to build Series Reg or Capacitance Multiplier, please advise.

Rgds,
Sun

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My Second Reflektor

A local DIY friend has happily taken over my first Reflektors (well, for free), after he was impressed by the SQ improvement it brought vs his LM317 supplies, and I made a second PCB which can take more LEDs, TO-247 MOSFETs, and use off-board heatsinks :)

Attachments

• Reflektor.jpg
    Reflektor.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 431
  • Reflektor PCB.jpg
    Reflektor PCB.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 426
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't do that with IRF9610 before you will inspect its datasheet carefully and make sure its internal temperature will stay at safe level on that sink along with the output MOSFET. The 9610 is a 20W at 25C max device, its in twilight zone when >1A and every operation parameter you decide or any heat transfer deficiency counts. There are stronger P-MOSFETs but more capacitive. If you will be obliged to choose stronger one, watch the Ciss parameter to be best available in power class.

Thanks Salas, I forgot to mention that M1 is currently FQP7P06 (45W/7A max, ciss 225p) and M2 is IRFP140N, would they be OK?

I want to compare if it will bring improvement over the AMB Sigma11 that is currently supplying my Raspberry Pi, and it takes up to 1A, though I probably won't use it for the long term due to the heat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.