The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Reflektor 2nd opinion.

Using a small cap in the output zobel is benefitial. Better detail, more "snap", better transient response.

Bypassing the Vref big cap is different. I started with 680uF // .25r + 10u // .015u FT-1

Very extended highs promoting very wide sounstages but somehow loosing the "Full On" presentation of other builds. It seems to have a holow in the lower mids.

After conferencing with Salas, I reverted to 1000u EL alone... Not bad but lacking some speed.

So I decided to try the other way around... reducing the EL cap value, keeping the 0.25r + 10u MKP but without the FT-1. Now I am rewarded with a full scale presentation with very good definition, nice transient reproduction.

The lesson is: Do not overdo. Too many bypasses can be worst than none.

FT-1 is NOT like the FT-3... It has good resolution in the highs but is not even (to my hears).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You should not reduce the polar cap too much though. Certainly not under 470uF for not upsetting spec. So in a nutshell what is the capacitors list configuration you feel best with? That could be a config to keep in mind although it has to be translating well in other systems and client circuits in the future on other possible attempts by members. I keep 2 basic conclusions. 1. Its always stable. 2. It ''listens'' to tweaks. Thanks for taking the plunge to do the first one 3rd party independent evaluation. Informative to all.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
C1 = 0.047uF
C2 = 330uF
C3 = 10uF
R7 = 0.25r
R3 = 2r2

It is super stable and responds well to every tweak.

Now I have a Full presentation with a good balance between detail, extension and stage size.

In my case, increasing C1, looses detail and bloats bass.
Too big C2 and the bass drags a bit.
c3 can also be smaller, giving tigher bass... A question of system tunning.

What should I expect by increasing R7 to .4r ? (I still have the vitreous resistors merlin sent to me but they measure 0.39r instead of 0.22r)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
C3 & R7 are just a bypass snubber, does not change the real electrical parameters of the reg. So you can do as you please. I would prefer you could be able to ''tune up'' your tone with a really big C2 and its bypass. Even up to 2200uF. That extends the really low bass spec. Anything negative towards that direction should be due to other reasons than value. Also see if you can make do with 100R shunt Mosfet gate stopper and still be stable with your 0.047u Zobel cap.

i finished the 1.0 and they sound a little harsh at times.
i know what they can do because i have built some before.
i ma using irf9540 until i receive irf9610 and i wonder if they
are oscilating.
unfotrunately i don`t have an osciloscope to test.
another reason could be long cables to the load 20cm.
what do you guys think?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
C3 & R7 are just a bypass snubber, does not change the real electrical parameters of the reg. So you can do as you please. I would prefer you could be able to ''tune up'' your tone with a really big C2 and its bypass. Even up to 2200uF. That extends the really low bass spec. Anything negative towards that direction should be due to other reasons than value. Also see if you can make do with 100R shunt Mosfet gate stopper and still be stable with your 0.047u Zobel cap.

With 1330uF (1000u // 330u) it really has something special about it.

With 2200u // 330 the bass is also very good but as I am using a 2200u ZLH, I must wait until it settles because it is also affecting the trebble.

I agree that the best bass comes from bigger EL in the Vref... and I did not use anything in the zobel yet.

PS:
Do you mean replace both 220r gate stoppers by 100r ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
i finished the 1.0 and they sound a little harsh at times.
i know what they can do because i have built some before.
i ma using irf9540 until i receive irf9610 and i wonder if they
are oscilating.
unfotrunately i don`t have an osciloscope to test.
another reason could be long cables to the load 20cm.
what do you guys think?

What 1.0 schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.