The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a question.

i want to power the input stage of hypex ucd700hg with hxr regulators.

the performance of salas is better than the hxr regulators.

should i remove hxr`s or i can leave them in place?

what happens when we put the two regulators in series?

will the second add noise to the first?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ooops sorry Ricardo yes I'm using Pana FC as per Salas advice.

That is a pity.... I was starting to imagine what a V12R should sound without the output EL...

It is funny that I can clearly choose parts changes imagining the outcome before I do the mods.

For instance, in the RFKTR I got sparkling detail and transient behaviour by reducing output cap value.... After that, I subjectively lacked some presence in the upper bass, lower mids... After one thoghtfull night, I decided to increase the Vref MKP bypass (both in value and in size) so I went from a 3u3 400v mkp to a 4u7 600v mkp and the warmth became again.... without loosing any of the previous sparkle.

I can now imagine what it would be if I had a good 10u amphom or even better (obbligato), around.

This new design is so stable that is a delight for the "voicer", responding firmly and previsibly to any cap type/value choice.

Of course I will keep V12R in the top of my priority list because it is so extended and able to present a large and powerfull sounstage even with average quality components (once properly voiced together that is).

V12 is even more extended and able to recreate enourmous sounstages but very difficult to implement and highly dependent of the load... It can even pick up and amplify hum created by less than perfect gnd setups in the amp boards.

Anyway, I was never able to tune the V12 so it lacked some presence in my builds.

So IMO we have the following choices:
V1 - Super stable, good sounstage, almost perfect balance in terms of musicality versus detail. - A real singer.

Reflektor - Still in beta form, highly stable, fast voltage reaching, inexpensive easy build, can widstand the most outrageous mods responding with great predicability. needs some tunning to reach it´s best but rewards you with a very wide and deep sounstage due to it´s inherent large extension.

V12R - Super design, betters the previous ones in soundstage demonstration, bass and trebble extension and detail but needs very carefull execution. Can sound outstanding even with lesser parts but excels if built without compromises.

V12 - A special unfinished project (needing tunning) that produced the sweeter trebble and wider sounstage I ever heard from my riaa builds, but lacked the musicality of the V1.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you cascade regs you can enjoy some pre-reg enhancement. What is best should go last, but if you don't have a choice, see with a test if its worthwhile. Be careful of possible bad interactions, like the last putting into oscillation the one before, noise, etc.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.