The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There are two main observations. One is If we expand the OLG, the phase turn begins later. The other is it turns more viciously later on. With the 1u capacitor overall phase is smoother, does not skip zero point phase magnitude before it. Amplifiers reflect heavily on their hi-band behavior of stability and extension, plus what happens lower has its impact too. Not to mention after real parts, wiring, and layout, watching those sims is mainly academic. What counts for an experimenter is to keep stable and be happy subjectively. I can not possibly glean such refinements from sim graphs beyond alarming. So I prefer to recommend the conservative values for start. We don't know what happens in different layouts and load combinations yet. Looks like it can afford smaller C1 for now, possibly opening up also, and that's good practical feedback. Keep on reporting.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ricardo V1.2R up to 45V positive, I'm sorry for bad quality pic.

Attachments

• Salas shunt V1.2R.jpg
    Salas shunt V1.2R.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 484
Joined 2006
Paid Member
RFLKTR report.....

After many experiments (as usual) and critical listening tests, I decided to use 0.047nF on the output zobel. The polystyrene on Tin Foil has a distinct sonority that I really like. Not so strong presence as an Auricap, with very good extension but not steryle as an FT-1.

In the Vref, I am using a nonpolar 680uF EL bypassed with a zobel... In this case I opted for a 4u7 MKP bypassed with the FT-1.... resulting in very good extension but keeping the agreable low mid, high bass presence I lacked with the 1u or even 3u3 I experimented with.

IMO the output combo deals with speed and detail, The Vref combo deals with bass and presence presentation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.