The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Salas,
please explain.
On the one hand you say 36Vac nominal max and <=38Vac max.
On the other hand you state that k117 is at risk if higher PSU input voltage is fed in.

How can an output of 45Vdc be obtained from 36/38Vac with this high voltage drop regulator?

I did not subscribe to BiB and thus don't have build instructions.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
36VAC gives ~50VDC input to the regulator after it is full bridge rectified on board. That allows enough drop across the reg to reliably set for 45VDC out. The 2SK117 under the leds sees 50VDC-VfLedsTotal as VDS. ~44.3VDC with 3 leds. Its max VDS is 50V. Combined with its degeneration resistor, the Id gets small enough to take the dissipation. T-Bag's one of the two test protos was a 43VDC out affair for instance.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
36VAC gives ~50VDC input to the regulator after it is full bridge rectified on board. That allows enough drop across the reg to reliably set for 45VDC out. The 2SK117 under the leds sees 50VDC-VfLedsTotal as VDS. ~44.3VDC with 3 leds. Its max VDS is 50V. Combined with its degeneration resistor, the Id gets small enough to take the dissipation. T-Bag's one of the two test protos was a 43VDC out affair for instance.

3 or 4 leds are not associated with Vo but with CCS setting and resistors available. Please read the last section before notes area in guide. Download from builds and fairy tales thread, post#1 link to file server hosting firm.

Yes I know Salas that CCS is set with LEDs & resistor but when I read your answer to AndrewT I wanna be sure asking you about LEDs number.

Salas,
please explain..............
...............How can an output of 45Vdc be obtained from 36/38Vac with this high voltage drop regulator?

This statement does not explain how to get 45Vdc from a 36Vac transformer.

Who ever said that?
The usual advice for low Vdrop regulators is to adopt similar Vac transformer to required regulated Vdc output voltage.
At low DC volts the transformer needs to be slightly higher. At high DC volts the transformer can be slightly lower.

But for a high Vdrop shunt regulator the transformer Vac should be increased above that normally adopted. Thus why we went with 15Vac for the DCB1 which ran on 10Vdc. 12Vac can in worst case situations allow the regulator to drop out even though we are already 2V above the norm that could be adopted.

I cannot see how 45Vdc can be reliably got from 36Vac with a high Vdrop regulator.

When the question was first asked "how 45Vdc" those thoughts jumped to mind and that is why I suggested 40Vac as the minimum to obtain 45Vdc output.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The detail is, this is not a high series Vdrop regulator. It has a high need when pushed to its lower Vo regions because it needs enough drop to ground since its CCS is vertically referenced. Someone has to cater for all leds drop, plus ~1V for the K117 to develop steady IDSS. Thus the 6.3VAC min recommendation even when setting for 3.3V out. For its series drop, it can go very near Vo, but 5V are recommended to cater for transformers nominal tolerance, power ducking, mains variations. Give it sure DCin from a bench supply, say 25VDC, then trim up near that, and you will see it will go smack near before losing regulation.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The thing to know is drop across the setting resistor. That plus 1.5V maybe, will suffice for unimpeded CCS current. If it is a Vbe controlled reg (1.2 1.2R Reflektor) then its 0.6V+1.5V. About 2V and it will work. The 5V drop recommendation covers even the higher setting resistors drops when in led controlled regs (1 & 1.1, DCB1). Vrset=Vftotal-Vgs. MinDif=Vrset+1.5V. Vrset can be kept small if with red leds and small difference to Vgs is calculated. It will go even nearer than those thresholds I described without losing regulation but will start compressing CCS current after those. There is nothing more to it, given there is no big uncertainty margin for DCin value.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That is a pity.... I was starting to imagine what a V12R should sound without the output EL...

It is funny that I can clearly choose parts changes imagining the outcome before I do the mods.

For instance, in the RFKTR I got sparkling detail and transient behaviour by reducing output cap value.... After that, I subjectively lacked some presence in the upper bass, lower mids... After one thoghtfull night, I decided to increase the Vref MKP bypass (both in value and in size) so I went from a 3u3 400v mkp to a 4u7 600v mkp and the warmth became again.... without loosing any of the previous sparkle.

I can now imagine what it would be if I had a good 10u amphom or even better (obbligato), around.

This new design is so stable that is a delight for the "voicer", responding firmly and previsibly to any cap type/value choice.

Of course I will keep V12R in the top of my priority list because it is so extended and able to present a large and powerfull sounstage even with average quality components (once properly voiced together that is).

V12 is even more extended and able to recreate enourmous sounstages but very difficult to implement and highly dependent of the load... It can even pick up and amplify hum created by less than perfect gnd setups in the amp boards.

Anyway, I was never able to tune the V12 so it lacked some presence in my builds.

So IMO we have the following choices:
V1 - Super stable, good sounstage, almost perfect balance in terms of musicality versus detail. - A real singer.

Reflektor - Still in beta form, highly stable, fast voltage reaching, inexpensive easy build, can widstand the most outrageous mods responding with great predicability. needs some tunning to reach it´s best but rewards you with a very wide and deep sounstage due to it´s inherent large extension.

V12R - Super design, betters the previous ones in soundstage demonstration, bass and trebble extension and detail but needs very carefull execution. Can sound outstanding even with lesser parts but excels if built without compromises.

V12 - A special unfinished project (needing tunning) that produced the sweeter trebble and wider sounstage I ever heard from my riaa builds, but lacked the musicality of the V1.

You forgot the 1.1 Bib which is a fine solution for stability and building ease. For sonics it has good balance between those types you mentioned. You probably haven't used it yet.

Due to high voltage required I can't test BiB in Simplistic NJFET RIAA:mad:

I can do the test Vs V1.2R powering my BII, I will let you know subjective opinion.

Test V1.2R vs BiB 1.1 +BJT 5.5Vout both powering BII DAC, clear winner BiB: more harmonics so better resolution & the most impressive thing more tridimensional

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cruz is reporting on analogue. You should give opinion on apples for apples...:)

Anyway, all types have their best mates for synergy and to marry happy. Also many tuning voices. Nice toys, ha? Bib has another thing going. We know the layout works for everyone, always.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.