The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

I heard a hiss at first also. But it went down after measuring and crossover work. In my case the tweeter has now a -8dB gain setting. Mid is at 0dB gain and has a sensitivity of about 93dB.
I use no resistors in serie.

The older firmware used to have a lower tweeter gain of 5.6dB. at some point that has been corrected.

Perhaps reload it again to make sure...

Anyone here know how to reset a Fusion amp? I have a brand new FA253, and it goes into Protect mode upon turning on. I don't see any info on how to troubleshoot this in the manual or elsewhere. Thank you!

Nothing is plugged into the unit except for mains power, which I know to be functional.

mattsk8, two things you might want to explore. You only need one spdif output from your pre, you then daisy chain that signal to the second amp. You need to tell each amp if it is a left channel or a right channel amp.

I've looked thru both manuals and can't find anything that describes how this works (and maybe I'm over-thinking it). For me to use the spdif on the preamp... I will run the (optical in this case) cable from the preamp into the plate amp that I dedicated "left channel", and "master unit".

My questions begin with... Is the only way to "daisy chain" over to the other speaker's plate amp from the master amp to use the RCA style digital output? Or is it possible for me to use XLR from the "Master" amp over to the slave amp (the slave amp would be the "right channel" in this case, and the master amp would be the "left channel")? And regardless, I'm guessing I need to just deselect "Master Unit" to set the other amp as a slave amp?? The issue with this is that I lose the option for "Wake Online" and also "Activate Signal Detection". Guessing that when I de-select "Master Unit", this amp is now a "slave amp" and just follows the settings for the Master Unit?? (Aside from dedicating the now slave amp as the right channel)

I've looked thru both manuals and can't find anything that describes how this works (and maybe I'm over-thinking it). For me to use the spdif on the preamp... I will run the (optical in this case) cable from the preamp into the plate amp that I dedicated "left channel", and "master unit".

My questions begin with... Is the only way to "daisy chain" over to the other speaker's plate amp from the master amp to use the RCA style digital output? Or is it possible for me to use XLR from the "Master" amp over to the slave amp (the slave amp would be the "right channel" in this case, and the master amp would be the "left channel")? And regardless, I'm guessing I need to just deselect "Master Unit" to set the other amp as a slave amp?? The issue with this is that I lose the option for "Wake Online" and also "Activate Signal Detection". Guessing that when I de-select "Master Unit", this amp is now a "slave amp" and just follows the settings for the Master Unit?? (Aside from dedicating the now slave amp as the right channel)

Figured it out. First, set one of the amps to "Master", then select the desired channel (in my case it's the right channel). Then deselect "Master" on the other amp, and I set that one to left channel. Then I used a spdif cable from a Bluesound Node 2 into the "Master" amp, then ran an XLR cable from that amp over to the other amp. Now listening to stereo music using a Bluesound as the preamp and source (streaming Tidal). Not overly impressed with the way it sounds this way, it was better when I ran the Bluesound through my B&K preamp, then XLR from that over to the plate amps. Not sure if this is telling me the DAC in the Bluesound sounds better than the DAC in the Hypex or not.

With it wired this way, the soundstage is a tad crushed, and it doesn't have as much separation in the music as it did the other way (when it was wired thru my B&K). Will continue playing and report back.

Edit: I went ahead and wired it using RCA cables from the Bluesound to each of the Hypex amps and it sounds IMMENSELY better than it did using the SPDIF and daisy chaining. Going to chalk it up to the DAC in the Hypex being not-so-good. I don't seem to be getting noise from the long RCA runs, so I'll call this good and leave it this way.

Last edited:
Then I used a spdif cable from a Bluesound Node 2 into the "Master" amp, then ran an XLR cable from that amp over to the other amp. Now listening to stereo music using a Bluesound as the preamp and source (streaming Tidal). Not overly impressed with the way it sounds this way, it was better when I ran the Bluesound through my B&K preamp, then XLR from that over to the plate amps. Not sure if this is telling me the DAC in the Bluesound sounds better than the DAC in the Hypex or not.

Do you connected the Bluesound with spdif to the Master, then analogue XLR to the Slave or digital XLR, which is called AES/EBU? That is not clear from your write. Is it even possible to connecting together via analogue, from digital input?
The proper digital connection is digital from source to Master, then spdif from Master to Slave, at least according to the manual.

If you use full analogue connection, then the Fusionamp DAC is still in the chain, so you hear the performance of the Bluesound DAC and the Fusionamp DAC at the same time.
Btw, I think the Fusionamp DAC is technically far superior, but the Bluesound is not necessarily sounds worse to the ear.

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I think there are 2 scenario's you can try to compare.
1. From bluesound rca analog to left and richt plate amp. Both amps are master.
2. Spdif from bluesound to master plate amp and daisy chain via spdif from master to slave amp.

You can not daisy chain via xlr or rca. Perhaps daisy chain is possible via aes but indeed in the manual the only option given is spdif. In this scenario you must have volume remote control from hypex. (Or the bluesound might have digital volume control?)

In scenario 1 you use also the dac from bluesound to go to analog signal and in the hypex amp from analog to digital to analog again.
Scenario 2 you take the digital signal from the bluesound and feed it to the hypex.

Do you connected the Bluesound with spdif to the Master, then analogue XLR to the Slave or digital XLR, which is called AES/EBU? That is not clear from your write. Is it even possible to connecting together via analogue, from digital input?
The proper digital connection is digital from source to Master, then spdif from Master to Slave, at least according to the manual.

If you use full analogue connection, then the Fusionamp DAC is still in the chain, so you hear the performance of the Bluesound DAC and the Fusionamp DAC at the same time.
Btw, I think the Fusionamp DAC is technically far superior, but the Bluesound is not necessarily sounds worse to the ear.

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I don't remember which XLR I used, but it is possible that this is why it doesn't sound as good. If I understand you correctly... I should try the digital coax from the Bluesound into the Master Hypex, then another digital coax from the Master Hypex's digital coax output over to the slave Hypex input??

I think there are 2 scenario's you can try to compare.
1. From bluesound rca analog to left and richt plate amp. Both amps are master.
2. Spdif from bluesound to master plate amp and daisy chain via spdif from master to slave amp.

You can not daisy chain via xlr or rca. Perhaps daisy chain is possible via aes but indeed in the manual the only option given is spdif. In this scenario you must have volume remote control from hypex. (Or the bluesound might have digital volume control?)

In scenario 1 you use also the dac from bluesound to go to analog signal and in the hypex amp from analog to digital to analog again.
Scenario 2 you take the digital signal from the bluesound and feed it to the hypex.

The Bluesound does have digital volume control. I set the volume on the Hypex more as a limiter. I'll give the digital coax a shot, just nervous about running a 12 foot RCA cable from one speaker to the other and picking up noise somewhere.

This was actually what surprised me. I have that same Bluesound on my reference system and wasn't overly impressed with it's DAC, so I run that through an external RME DAC on my reference system. I've read that the DAC in these Hypex amps are actually very good, so I was pretty shocked when I fired this up using the digital inputs on the Hypex when it didn't sound as good. I'll keep playing and hopefully, eventually figure it out :D. I also know you can adjust the DAC filters on the Hypex, I played a little but I'm not sure what I'm doing by changing these settings (if I recall there were 3 different adjustments?). And I've scoured both Hypex manuals and there really isn't much info at all about what the different options will change or how they effect the sound.

Appreciate your input BTW, thanks :cool: