The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
By "series resistor" he means put a resistor between the power amp and the speaker driver - for the treble channel that might be good advice. An other way is to introduce a damping network would be on the analog input of the plate-amp so you dont need to solder on the power module board. But of course it will attenuate "everything"...

//

I misunderstoud "series resistor".
It is the way the resistor is build to get the desired value. (As there are also parallel resistors).

Not a type of resistor, but a way to connect one or more resistors.

https://opentextbc.ca/physicstestbook2/wp-content/uploads/sites/211/2017/10/Figure_22_01_01.jpg

Getting confused about the options of all types of resistors...
Can anyone advise one?

For an input attenuator you would use metal film, but in series with a speaker driver you need a high power type (one able to handle a significant power dissipation), as part of the output power gets turned into heat in the series resistor.

I am not shure if the value calculation for a series resistor is the same as for the Rg resistor?

Totally different calculation. For 6 dB attenuation, you want a resistor that is the same value as your tweeter impedance. It will have to have a power capability of half your tweeter channel power. Be aware that the 6 dB is only true for the nominal impedance of the tweeter - the real attenuation will vary with frequency as the tweeter impedance varies with frequency. This might result in uneven frequency response.

No, you need one or more resistors combined up to the nominal impedance of your driver. So for example if you have a 4 ohm tweeter you need one 4 ohm resistor or two 2 ohm to get the level 6 dB. But the resistors will dissipate as much as the tweeter itself. So the efficiency will go down. But it appears that it does not harm to get the NCore higher in the power curve...

Fedde

I have the viawave GRT 145 tweeters. 4Ohm.
Actually 3.6Ohm at 2khz and going up as freq. rises.
No problem to measure frequenty curve of the tweeter (and adjusting) after implementing the resistor.
This way is also easyer for testing and trying it out.

Another question...
I use capacitors in series for dc protection. They act also as a first order passive filter at desired crossover point.
The cap value is calculated for the crossoverpoint for a 4 Ohm driver.
So the resistor(s) needs to be before the caps?

Last edited:
I use capacitors in series for dc protection. They act also as a first order passive filter at desired crossover point.
The cap value is calculated for the crossoverpoint for a 4 Ohm driver.
So the resistor(s) needs to be before the caps?

The resistor and capacitor are in series, so it doesn't matter which one comes first - the result is exactly the same.

software 4.95 is ready to download but the manual is not ready

Need the new manual to tell me how to use the EQ, and the master volume always default to ZERO, not sure how to make the changes stay.

Btw, usually I need to click the volume to -36db to trigger the plateamps, and now -50db will do.

Last edited: