The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Mine FA253 arrived yesterday.
Set them up in a master/slave config using the remote. Works pretty well.
Amps get equally warm.
I do hear the output of noise while the amp is doing nothing. Source is off. Noise is not volume setting related.
Is that normal? I think for a 2018 product the noise level is way too high.
You do have to move towards the tweeter. I can hear it at about 20cm distance.

I do hear the output of noise while the amp is doing nothing. Source is off. Noise is not volume setting related.
Is that normal? I think for a 2018 product the noise level is way too high.
You do have to move towards the tweeter. I can hear it at about 20cm distance.
Same here, I own 2 FA123. CH1+CH2 have noise that can be heart clearly with a midrange loudspeaker, sensitivity 90dBA. My Tweater has a sensitivity >>90dBA and there is only very, very little noise.

My fusion project with Rick Craig is going to be cancelled because the backlog and I need to get back to India with all the parts in August. If anyone has a Fusion 3way that they are willing to sell, please ping me. I know this is a long shot, but thought I would give it a try....

AK4454 Filter Selection

Hi everyone -- after discussing with Hypex is sounds like they may be able to add access to the filters in the integrated DACs (AK4454s)!

image.jsp

These filters are for the 4490. The 4454 has all of these except for the "low dispersion" filter, which gives a pretty wide selection to play around with.

Of course, a show of enthusiasm here would be very helpful. So if you're interested in having this feature, please give a +1. It sounds like they'll prioritize this feature based on the amount of interest shown.

+1

Hi everyone -- after discussing with Hypex is sounds like they may be able to add access to the filters in the integrated DACs (AK4454s)!
Not sure it is worth the bother. All those additional filters are just an attempt to please the people who look at oscilloscope pictures of DAC outputs when fed artificial, abnormal and often nyquist-violating test signals, and believe that "if you can see it, you can hear it".

+1

Julf have you ever tested it? I think you have not. In 44.1 khz these filtersettings are magnificant to the audiosignal. You easily hear the high/low end roll of especially when they're slow because it has to start near the frequencies in the range of human hearing obviously.

Also the changing Delay pos mind is a thing.

+1

Julf have you ever tested it? I think you have not. In 44.1 khz these filtersettings are magnificant to the audiosignal. You easily hear the high/low end roll of especially when they're slow because it has to start near the frequencies in the range of human hearing obviously.

Also the changing Delay pos mind is a thing.

Yes, I have tested it. Sure, some of the settings definitely have a (harmful) effect on audible frequencies. My point is that there is no need to use them - they only exist as a selling point to audiophiles who spend their night lying awake worrying about the "ringing" (which isn't really ringing) that can be seen on an oscilloscope display when using artificial test signals, but can't be heard. What is "pos mind"?

Last edited:
DAC manufacturers have been implementing "short" filters options in their products for decade to minimize latency in certain scenarios. This was not an "audiophile" thing at all: the rational was to use linear-phase brickwall filters for normal applications (most correct transfer function), and shorter (and possibly minimum-phase) filters for applications were latency matters, at the cost of HF attenuation and/or phase shifts.

DAC manufacturers have been implementing "short" filters options in their products for decade to minimize latency in certain scenarios. This was not an "audiophile" thing at all: the rational was to use linear-phase brickwall filters for normal applications (most correct transfer function), and shorter (and possibly minimum-phase) filters for applications were latency matters, at the cost of HF attenuation and/or phase shifts.
Yes, indeed, but in this case the DAC manufacturer is not talking about latency, but "Natural Tone", "Acoustic Tone", "Traditional Tone", "Harmonic Sound", "Acoustic Sound" and "Traditional Sound" :)