The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Eek, describing sound is not my forté. They sound great. I think the DLCP-UcD combination was also pretty fantastic (especially for the price). I think they are delivering more resolution in terms of sound (like there is slightly more on the recording) and the amps seem to output more bass, could be the filters.

Bearing in mind this is currently a media centre, most music is streaming through Spotify at 320kps, cables are cheap/freebies and at the moment L&R speakers are just twisted together from one amp to get stereo. I think with two amps, some proper playing with filters and a measurement mic and these will be fantastic. I don't want to discourage anyone from buying some...

I have a new turntable, which I will try out in the next few days and see how that works.

As for the noise, its a very faint hiss, I would guess about 4-8Khz. About the noise of the quietist whisper you could do in someones ear, almost sounds like a CD player spinning if your really close. You can't hear it 50cm away, could be microphone issues in cables on my speakers? Just checked also that the Hypex speaker cables are not crossing the amp and the SMPS build it. I just tried with a SPL meter on my iphone, ambient in the room (windows open) 37.5db, right next to the driver 39db.

I just tried turning off the Mac Pro, and the sound is still there, as well as disconnecting the optical cable.

Control = more muscle or grip over cone movement.
Resolution = More information retrieval, finer detail in the music

So what actual physical properties (that a designer can try to optimize) of an amplifier do those descriptions correspond to? Control of cone movement (assuming sufficient power output) is pretty much a function of output impedance, but all the hypex amps are at levels way below the point where the speaker internal resistance totally dominates, and "finer detail" is a function of signal-to-noise ratio and THD (so basically THD+N), and again all hypex amps are way better than any recording out there.

As for the noise, its a very faint hiss, I would guess about 4-8Khz. About the noise of the quietist whisper you could do in someones ear, almost sounds like a CD player spinning if your really close. You can't hear it 50cm away, could be microphone issues in cables on my speakers?

That doesn't sound like oscillation, more like switching noise picked up by input wiring (as a guess).

@Julf. The units are stock and the cabling is tight, I would assume you mean switching from the SMPS. Does anyone else have theirs yet? Any similar issue?

@Audio Elite that was what I was thinking, could all simply just be me wanting to hear improvements in my system though. I was really happy with the DLCP set up. and these amps are actually less powerful 180w vs 120w. People seem to love the nCores.

One small other thing, I can't in HFD seem to change the settings on the first screen (not HFD). So at the moment its in the super low power mode, which turns it off if it doesn't see a signal for 15mins. Playing a signal through optical doesn't turn it back on, so I have to switch it off and on at the unit. There might just be a button I need to flick.

I got my FA252s in and got em on my bench.

0.0003% THD, 0.076% THD+N at 1 watt into 4 ohms
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

0.003% THD, 0.004% THD+N at 10w into 4 ohms
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

0.03% THD, 0.03% THD+N at 100w into 4 ohms

0.04% THD, 0.04% THD+N at 250w into 4 ohms

And noise on the bench with and without a 12db transformer pad. Volume on the amp was set at -3. No filters loaded. Pardon the pops as I was moving some connectors on the transformer.

YouTube

Last edited:
And FA252 frequency response

Nzt2hFm.png

For using the built in measurement function can someone (@ds23 man?) remind us all what microphone is recommended and if a power supply is also required, and cables etc.

There doesn't seem to be any info in the user manual, if anyone can provide a walk through of how to do this, or point me/us to a link?

Has anyone tried the MiniDSP Dirac Live equipment in the signal path, do you think a similar room EQ can be achieved with the HFD?

Why have they not issued the proper manuals yet? Still says on their website that only preliminary manual is available.

Anyone know the lowest frequency that eq can be applied? Also does it have subsonic filter and if so what frequency range can this be applied?

okay, got both amps up and running (FA503)
what however wonders me is that one of the amps gets significantly hotter so that the fan is running. the other amp is much cooler and the fan is not on.
is that normal?

and further, one of the amps has a more noise than the other.
one is just the usual white noise if you put the ear very close to the driver.
but the other one has this high-frequent interference noise which is fluctuating.

what however wonders me is that one of the amps gets significantly hotter so that the fan is running. the other amp is much cooler and the fan is not on.
is that normal?

but the other one has this high-frequent interference noise which is fluctuating.

The FA252 has the same noise issue. I didn't check any thermals or anything, but I'll do that later. I posted vid and graphs of the noise above

is that normal?No, please contact Hypex

is that normal?

Please contact support@hypex.nl