The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

FabFilter Pro-Q 2, that's the one I use now for linear phase anyways. I can vouch for it working well (y).
I had this running in zero latency mode (IIR) for pré EQ for years. Never took the time to work out all the Q difference to swap out the old EQ.

I'll refrain from a definitive answer, but after living with FabFilter Pro, running in linear phase for a while I notice some hick-ups in movies, not in regular audio use. Every once in a while I get a slight hick-up (sounds a very quick repeat/scratch) usually once, sometimes twice during a movie. I've never had that with my previous Equalizer, so I'll look for a solution. Can't blame anything but the switches I've made (Win7 -> Win10, old EQ -> new EQ, Jriver 22 -> Jriver 30) yet. I'll probably try different linear phase EQ's first.

Never tried that one. I got Equilibrium up and running and it functions perfect in Linear Phase (using FIR) using a 32768 impulse length.
If I set it one step up to 65536 it seems JRiver runs out of space somehow as some plugins just stop working/responding. Never experienced that before. I do use a lot of Equalizer instances within Metaplugin. I never expected to run out of space as it had never been an issue before (and I've done plenty of crazy things). I don't need that kind of length though, at least not here.

Anyway, Equilibrium actually seems a bit much/overkill for what I need, even though it really does perform excellent. I prefer its GUI to Fabfilter. However, I don't really need a smooth GUI, just a well functioning LP EQ. I like the clarity Equilibrium offers to what it is using internally, FIR filters of a defined length, you get to set it's windowing etc. while Fabfilter only provides buzz words like: high, Very high etc.

I've searched quickly and ran into: https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAutoEqualizer, it seems that's one of the few EQ's I could find that features Linear Phase bidirectional processing (not FIR), just like my previous EQ did. I might try that in demo. It's quite affordable, but I think I'd need this one (10 band) as opposed to the cheaper and simpler MAutoDynamicEq that features the same techniques but has 7 bands. Currently one of my tweaks uses 8 bands, go figure :D.

8-bands.jpg

GUI of Equilibrium, simple, clear and a choice of text + graph.

So all in all I really really like Equilibrium, but it might be overkill for what I need. The control you have over quality is awesome though.

Listening to it it did nothing wrong. Very transparant. I'd almost say it is cleaner/more clear than what I had before. But that may be the psychological effect of liking it this much. :ROFLMAO: Anyway, 28 27 days more to decide.

Holy cow... is this really the effect of a clean and clear Equalizer? Never had this much space / openness / clarity before.
Exchanged all EQ instances with Equilibrium, minimum phase FIR for pré-EQ, linear phase FIR for mid/side processing.

FIR file length 32K, windowing with Blackman Harris. I swear I did not smoke anything. But I can't believe it either.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, we can expect things to move forward with plugins... ProQ has been around a while, and was great, but some will come and try to take the crown away... until the next one to be king!
There was all this buzz surrounding the kirchhoff, so that's why I mentioned it. I did not try it. But since you are in demo mode, you can have a contest between a couple of plugins and go for the one you like best.

Do you know how much work it is, just getting the Q of each EQ to align? :D.

It took me several hours to re-EQ everything for Equilibrium to match Fabfilter (to within 0.1 dB). I still need more time to listen to this and the fabfilter EQ. Acoustic music is 'out of this world' with this EQ. I kind of feel the balance can be a bit off on other stuff. But hey, that 'd be true for the Fabfilter version as well.

Quite a few days ago I received the ordered tweeters. I'm impressed with their weight, looks etc. It will take me a while to try them out. Flu season has got me. Still wondering how to use them.
Do I use one (in the center), in mono firing directly at me, as a substitute for the top end of the arrays?
Do I use one, firing at the front wall as ambient super tweeter?
Do I use both, each on top of the arrays, pointing back at the front wall/ceiling as ambient tweeters?

I can cross them appropriate, I can delay them etc. I think I feel best about using both as ambient (super) tweeters on top of the arrays.

Next point: what kind of amplifier do I need to come up with to do these some justice... Ahhh, the problems of excess...
What about the topping pa5?
I am planning to use 4 of them in my new line- array project :)

Well... I think I'll just enjoy this setup for a while and see. I need to do some measurements again first. Check all the alignments etc.
Check the left/right balance tweaks I did based on the prior measurements. I haven't measured in quite a long time. If it sounds this good the motivation is hard to find :).

I did not expect to hear any difference. I must say, I think it is the linear phase EQ that's making the difference. I did back to back listening of the same song on both Fabfilter and Equilibrium. I still choose Equilibrium, but this isn't a blind test. There's a difference in the upper end of the spectrum. How that sounds to me.
Anyway, both EQ's are able to project a close recorded voice up close, as in front of the speaker plane. Something I never really got with the unshaded TC9 array. Time was short and often broken with the shaded version, but I think this may be a difference between both drivers. The TC9 vs the 10F.
I can't be completely sure of that. All I know is there are several differences between the old unshaded array and the shaded version that could equally be responsible. There definitely is a noticeable reduction in floor/ceiling room effects that could be responsible for that change too.

I've shown the 10F to be cleaner overall in distortion (especially above 200 Hz, the TC9 wins below 200 Hz). All in all it has been a worthwhile journey and I regret not having as much time to play with it as I'd like.

What about the topping pa5?

That's the type of amp I was hoping to find (y). Hope it is any good, did not start reading the review on ASR yet. Class D on tweeters... it would be a first for me. Class D on the subs has been proven to work, ncore powered.

With my current EQ change I'll have my hands full for quite a bit longer than expected. I don't even remember why I changed them, other than to try and cure the HT audio stutter problem. I haven't checked it completely, saw half a movie without any hick-up.
I never expected to be floored by such a simple change.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Good to know about Equilibrium. I want to give it a try.

I have taken out all level boosts from Jriver’s built-in EQ. Even though I was nowhere near clipping anywhere in the chain, the difference was quite large. I also mentioned HQPlayer a few pages back but after trying it for a while with Roon, I am back to Jriver. Bottomline: yeah, these things can make a difference.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have also experienced "DSP" transparency improvement during the years... started with the Behringer digital EQ/Auto EQ unit, then to the very first miniDSP unit (these two where about equally bad :)), then to use the biquad ability of Soekris DAM DACs - I definite step up and now using camillaDSP which I can not fault in SQ - it seems utterly transparent to me - I really recommend to try camilla (IIR&FIR) - free and all ;-)
//

A while ago I mentioned upgrading the domed cap nuts I was using as poor man's spikes. Here's a picture of the new industrial feet I'll be using:
feet.jpg

It has a sphere shape in a damped foot so I'm guessing it will work just as well as the capped nuts.
And as a plus give better stability. They can carry up to 900 kg a piece!

Finishing the polish on the aluminium so I figured to post a picture of the new feet.
Do you have a link to where i can buy some feet like that...my speakers will weigh over 400lbs when completed and those feet look great!

Also what size threaded rod did you use for clamping the layers together? I am getting ready to make some 2' x 2' Synergy horns the same layered way.

I used M8 rods. Because I could get them in 3 meter lengths. The feet I got from an industrial shop, at a later date I could not find the exact same model again. My subwoofers have something similar.

feet6.jpg

A quick search leads to stuff like this: https://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/anti-vibration-foot-112175.html.
I'm in the Netherlands so I found a local shop carrying this type of stuff.
Thanks, my wife's sister lives in the Netherlands too. We are currently contemplating moving from Mexico to Portugal.