The M2 Output Stage in Class A/B, and maybe a Power WHAMMY?

where is the greater sound jump? or your guess....

change from local to mixed FB?
or
go from Fairchild to Toshiba?

Harry

btw. i had for my F5 selected IRFP´s from diyaudio store....I prefere the fairchild, they are more clean, tranparent and punshier

Last edited:
The earlier builders posted some of their impressions.
But they were with their speakers, their system, and their taste.

Everyone has a different subjective taste / emphasis.
I cannot decide for you what you like better (e.g. how much 2nd harmonics).
I can only give you objective information, like measured values, etc.
The rest you will have to find out for yourself.
But that is the fun in DIY, not ?

For me, I like Japanese devices ever since I compared Toshiba to IRFP in my first project -- Aleph X.
Since then I have almost only use Japanese devices.
And I agree with Borbely who almost exclusively use Japanese FETs.
You can read his remarks here :
https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/BorbelyAnnalsMMM508.pdf

Having said that, almost all Pass Labs and First Watt products use IRFP in the OPS (but all Toshibas in first and 2nd stages).
So who am I to say they don't sound nice.

Patrick

Reactions: 1 users
Patrick, Which is the final/ latest version of your M2OPS board? Are you still using 2 larger caps to stabilize the FETS, or the smaller value single item as shown on your green boards?

I'm wondering about using an ACP+ pre direct into a Cinemag Autoformer, then into your boards. Although it might be easier to build using M2X or Teabag boards (??)

Thanks for all your work

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So my M2OPS is now in pieces for an overhaul into a proper chassis (4U 300mm). It was setup with local feedback, OPA604, 0R57 source resistors, and IRFP240/Harris9240. I've been curious about the mixed feedback option and will implement this, but I also have a quad of the Toshiba 2SK3497/2SJ618. Maybe this is the perfect time to put them to good use..... ;)

Reactions: 3 users