The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

Logic circuit board recapped 🍻

1000046417.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Logic circuit board recapped

don't trust those indications, in the past I have found inconsistencies depending on the versions intended for export; rather check which capacitors are applied to your boards and replace capacitors of the same capacity, at most you can replace them with a higher voltage but the capacity must remain unchanged... and ask if you have any doubts.

Reactions: 1 user
I used few WIMA MKS2(red) and Panasonic ECQ(brown) polyester caps

I always consider it a good idea to use polyester or polypropylene capacitors than to use electrolytic capacitors as they are more performing and have better characteristics; unfortunately it is not always possible to use them because the dimensions beyond a certain capacity become important and it is not always possible to use them due to the limited space; therefore electrolytics due to their small size and high capacity become again indispensable.

SH-10B7 obsidian plinth question:
Looking at this ad for an SP-10R with EPA-100mk2 and SH-10B7 plinth.
https://j-corder.com/shop/ols/products/technics-sp-10r-wobsidian-plinth--epa-100-mk2-boron-tonearm
Seems like a reasonable deal for the new (albeit unboxed) SP-10R and the EPA-100mk2 (claimed to be in perfect condition) alone, but my wife is taken with the obsidian plinth. Dragon glass! I think she's preparing for the White Walkers. I think this plinth is actually an SH-10B5, though the add says SH-10B7, and my question is: does anyone know if this plinth is real obsidian? I've searched and searched and mostly found contradictory information.

Having owned two of those plinths [and also one of the wood + obsidian] I have to advise against them
as they are ultra fragile.

As for the arm, again I am unimpressed as and ex owner of two. HOWEVER I cannot knock them too
much as I was using very low compliance cartridges. Others who use more modern cartridges seem to
be happy with them.

SH-10B7 obsidian plinth question:
Looking at this ad for an SP-10R with EPA-100mk2 and SH-10B7 plinth.
https://j-corder.com/shop/ols/products/technics-sp-10r-wobsidian-plinth--epa-100-mk2-boron-tonearm
Seems like a reasonable deal for the new (albeit unboxed) SP-10R and the EPA-100mk2 (claimed to be in perfect condition) alone, but my wife is taken with the obsidian plinth. Dragon glass! I think she's preparing for the White Walkers. I think this plinth is actually an SH-10B5, though the add says SH-10B7, and my question is: does anyone know if this plinth is real obsidian? I've searched and searched and mostly found contradictory information.
Nope, I think they're a black glass/resin composite, but my B+/A- grade SH-10B3 does rather LOOK like obsidian.

I have an EPA-100 mk1 and it's a good arm especially with a few modifications. @brianco is correct the bearings are fragile and damage easily. Although the balls can be replaced with SI3N4. My modified EPA-100 performs equally with an SME-IV, I know this as I've had both on my SP10.

I had an SL1000mk2 herewith the Obsidian plinth and IMO is not worth it. You would be far better off with a Permalli/Panzerholtz plinth. At $13,000 I think you can do much better with an SP10mk2 and a Panzer plinth and SME-IV which will most likely cost you around 1/2 of that.

@Bon has both SP10R and mk2 if he sees this he can give you his opinion.