The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

A long long time ago in a different audio universe I had an SP 10 with a custom built base which was gorgeous. The kicker was that I had an M and K Rabco modification for the arm that worked flawlessly . I lucked out , got the arm for free but as i recall the mod was $$$. It was my second turntable and i needed more room. Needless to say I got a great offer for it or I wouldn't have sold it. Is it out there somewhere? Now thinking about doing it again but with a Black Widow.

I do, but for the SP series it's only applicable to the SP-10MK3 and SP-15.
Hello JP. Nice to meet you here. I have some questions about restore the Denon DP-100, your guidance would be a great help! The Denon DP-100 thread has been closed and I am too new to start a private conversation to you. I wonder if you can PM me on this matter? Thank you so much !

I have an inquiry about Platter Materials used on the Kaneta Variants of the SP10 MkII.
I ask, as I now have a Kaneta Variant, which is yet to be tried out. To achieve all of my ideas a Spindle Modification may be needed. As I now have a SS Platter, Phosphor Bronze Platter that can be adapted for use and options on other configurations to be used along with a OEM Platter, as done with Lenco's I am considering the Stacked Platter Method with a Newplast Modellers Putty as a filler for the Top Platter.
The option to use a AT 666 Vacuum Clamping Platter Mat is also a new option for the trials, but mechanically fastening this will be the challenge. .

I recollect from previous reading and inquiries that the OEM Platter with 20mm Acetal mechanically fastened had proved to be a very acceptable method to improve the sonic, when compared to the other materials used to produce a Platter.

Now the Plinth/Chassis used for the Kaneta Variants have moved on for some members on this forum, where Phenolic Resin Impregnated Densified Wood Board, such as Permali has become the materials that has Superseded the use of a Isophthalic Resins and Poly-bentonite being used for the same role, I am interested to learn a little more and see if my own upcoming investigations share a similar assessment, as I am a densified wood user.

The inquiry being, has anybody revisited the Trials undertaken with Platter Materials on the Kaneta variants used on the TT's with a Densified Wood Plinth ?
Is there any info that can be shared if this experience has been had ?

As a rephrase, I do believe that a Acetal Disc of 20mm Thickness mechanically fastened to the OEM Platter has proven to the end user who has experience of it in use, along with experiences of other materials used to produce a Platter, has discovered the OEM > Acetal stacked Platter has an attraction that is in keeping with the other alternative materials that have recently been seen to be used as a Platter for a SP10 MkII.

As the Acetal Disc used in conjunction with the OEM Platter as a method, is the one that is seemingly the most easy to produce as an alternative method to support LP during a replay, this is one that I have a interest in to experience myself against other owned materials to be used as Platter.

I am hoping some of these alternative designs for the SP10 MkII Platter have been used in conjunction with and as comparisons on the MkII's that are now being seen mounted on a Plinth produced from a Phenolic Resin Impregnated Densified Wood Board, such as the Brand Permali.

If any contributors to this Thread have experience of this, I am keen to hear your evaluations about Platters experienced in use with a increased weight as a result of a metal used, or a Platter with increased weight as a result of the composite method used for the construction.

It does seem with some of the Materials I have access to, that a Platter can be produced for the SP10 MkII that resembles the Composite Platter used on the SP10 MkIII or SP10 R, but in the case of the R, without the Tungsten Dowels in use as penetrations.
It is this design on the Mk III and R that prompts myself to have faith that something of value will be realised through producing a version of a mimic.
I can be very very wrong though, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Just remove the rubber plug in the base of the bottom cover, this is directly above the bearing assembly.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 144206.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
should I try a new cartridge?
I have restored my sp10 everything is perfect from a technical standpoint, but… for the past 10 years I’ve been putting the table together I pretty much dialed my digital chain. So now the vinyl gust doesn’t do it for me. Sounds nice, but nothing too “special” worth dealing with records.

I have 10” jelco 750 with VTA on a fly and denon DL-301ii. There is flaws, just this setup doesn’t bring anything to the table compare to hi-res or even lossless music. Should I try some different MC?

It is a very good possibility the sonic produced form a digital source is the one that you have Wed to, there is no harm in this, multiples have left Vinyl behinds as a Source for this very reason.
There is still a lot to be attained from a SP10 MkII beyond it being brought up to Spec' electronically, it all depends on how much the individual is wanting to extract as a betterment in relation to the mechanical interfaces for the critical parts in use to create the replay.

Vinyl will present a sonic with noticeable differences to the Digital Sonic, but not better/worse, on my view it is with a difference.
I have regularly found myself selecting the Digital Source to continue in use over the Vinyl Source, when having the same albums compared on both mediums.
Vinyl is my most preferred method to carry out a replay, but not for its sonic capability only.
The endless play with mechanical interfaces, Cart's, Tonearms, Platter Spindle Bearings, Support Structures, as well as Electronics is what has my attention as well, there is substantial incremental improvements to be created with a TT, by working with these critical parts.
Even though I am more mechanically tuned in, and lack the basics for the EE side, I can't quite detach from Vinyl for these reasons and have EE support at hand when needed.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Is your cartridge 10yr old? Might it be worn out…?

Stylus wear sounds very boring before it’s audibly scratchy.
It’s been seating on the shelf all this time, so has probably 100hrs at most. I was worrying about degraded suspension, but it seats on the record fine. But yes, if it’s a cartridge, which one to go to for my arm?

Thanks everyone, there is possibility that resolution and soundstage of digital formats is very important for me.

Not exactly on Topic, but on the Boundaries.
I have made reference to the Dr Kaneta Design SP10 MkII's in the past, and how some who contribute to this thread have produced a variant of a Kaneta design.
I myself also own a Kaneta Design variant yet to be seated on a chassis / plinth produced from Densified wood.

For many the idea of producing a Kaneta design has a hurdle to get over, being the Power Supply design.

It is the power supply that has prompted this post, as I have very recently discovered another variant of the Kaneta design, that is using a LPS to control the motor speeds.
A EE designer with a retail outlet based in NYC called OJAS has produced the Kaneta design using a 1200G Motor/ Stator assembly which has a LPS taking care of the other Electronic requirements.
This as a concept is new to me, Is the method adopted one that could be seen to have additional merits and worth encouraging further investigation?

The Link will show the TT that has been discovered.