The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

Both the labels on both SP10's underneath are both "SP10MKII-XGE" - is that of special significance ie does it represent a special model of the SP10 (ie broadcast?)?

Does anyone have a copy of the service manual for that specific model? The only ones i can find on vinyl engine website seem to be for the M, MC, EG or XGF - not XGE. I could do with the right one so that the settings to check, when i come to re-cap, are done to the right tolerances (incase they differ between models)

Thanks.

Chris.

Can anyone help with a service manual for the XGE variant of the SP10MKII? (or can anyone confirm if the other service manuals apply - M, MC, EG, XFG etc)?

Only reason i'm asking is, if there is any difference between models, it's to ensure sure that the test values quoted in the service manual are right for my specific model (XGE) rather than using another set of values for another model that might not be right....(i simply don't know)

Many thanks as ever...

Chris.

Hi JP,

Im going to have another crack on Monday, as ive said in previous posts I don't really know where to start, the waveform that's in the service manual isn't whats being displayed on my scope, so im shooting in the dark really however i'll ask the question again should I check the waveforms on the logic board first?

Thanks

Chris

If your strobe isn't locked on 33 I'd adjust VR101 empirically at first to see if you can get it to lock. I'd then put one probe on point S, fire up the table on 33, and see if you can get the waveform. If you can, then put your second probe on point T and see if you can get that.

I don't think there's much need to measure deeper in the circuit unless this doesn't work.

Last edited:
Well,all up and running.Have tried to upload a photo,might have happened.
Yep.looks like it did.
The SP10 sounds great even with the SME on it.Have 2 Shure V15/3's, so have one in the FR and one in the SME.Just swapped the SAS stylus over to compare setups.Close,but the bass is tighter and cleaner on the SP10.

Attachments

• SP10 and 401.jpg
    SP10 and 401.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 432

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Glad to see it up and running! Great to hear the comments about the differences.

The SME is no slouch, it's a very, very good arm.

The FR64, on the other hand, is one of those pieces you build an entire system around...

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your comments.
Brianco..I'm not too worried about "thinner" as I don't like too much bass,and I have various cartridges to play with! As they all sound different (slightly) I'm sure they're not perfect neither!
Mainly find my Garrott P77 SAS the easiest to listen to,and that's a little fuller sounding than the Shure V15/3. And that will probably change once I move the 64fx to the SP10.
Must say I'm enjoying the V15/3 on the SP10/SME3 though!
Had to add a couple of mats to get the VTA right with the SME hard down..Might have to make a thinner armboard for the 64fx.
Also one of the feet has had it, so will have to find something else.