The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

Its not that the 64s is more bass heavy than the FX, it's just that the FX is very light weight and more nervous throughout the range; its - to me- far too 'screechy' and handles transients badly. Having said that I must say that I only ever used it on a well set-up Thorens 124 - and that with decent MC cartridges incl. an FR 701. But the V15s are far more forgiving. I am not surprised that you like the SME....within a few limitations it is a good arm with V15.

You have a couple of very good decks there!!!

You need to do what I said, I must have serviced 50+ and I'm fairly sure this will resolve your issue. If not it will guide us. Have you tried with the turntable the right way up and rotating as I suggested previously ?

+1 on LP's last sentence.

First time I've had chance to look at this over the last few days, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've put a probe on point 'S' with the probe ground on 'O' and I cannot get a waveform, I then put it on point 'T' this seems to display the correct waveform however the time isn't correct on this and will not adjust down far enough.

Screen shots as requested,

Connected to point 'S'

Attachments

• DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
    DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 394
unless I'm missing something?

Yes, but I don't know what. As we have all said many times now, you need the waveform shown, until you get that there is nothing more I can do. What you are showing, is as if your scope is showing nothing at all, there is no waveform as it should be, no signal, nothing at all ? It would not be rotating if that was the case.

Right I think I've got it? Different from last night, first is point S on channel one, yellow trace, second on point T blue trace, these were with the probes on one at a time, third pic when both probes connected again yellow on S and blue on T.

Attachments

• DS1Z_QuickPrint6.png
    DS1Z_QuickPrint6.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 478
  • DS1Z_QuickPrint5.png
    DS1Z_QuickPrint5.png
    35 KB · Views: 469
  • DS1Z_QuickPrint4.png
    DS1Z_QuickPrint4.png
    66 KB · Views: 466
tear-down starts...

Progress..(well, a little).

So the tear-down of the better looking SP10 MKII started well. Apart from looking like small animals have nested in the case (not really!) and a couple of bottom cover screws and couple of pcb screw heads giving way necessitating using a micro-screw extractor (which worked fine btw), looks very much un-touched since new.

Date of the motor is 7th Nov 1980.

Attached is some of the tear-down pics i'll later use for re-assembly/reference.

This is the less-corroded one of the two. Cosmetically, it should be pretty straightforward to sort. Not decided yet but likely to get it bead-blasted back to bare aluminium and either polished and clear-coated again or go down the powder-coat/paint route. I have some experience/contacts with classic bike parts and getting them re-painted so should stand me in good stead when it comes to it.

Chris.

Attachments

• SP10_1_topside.JPG
    SP10_1_topside.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 152
  • MotorDate_SP10_1.JPG
    MotorDate_SP10_1.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 156
  • SP10_1_underside.JPG
    SP10_1_underside.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 482
  • SP10_1_before.JPG