The high octane phono preamp

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
atupi, thank you.
any idea what that three contact plug is called?

Use your imagination. Google 'TO92 socket'. See attached.

Jan

Attachments

• to92 socket.jpg
    to92 socket.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 302
Yesterday i was playing with High Octane preamp and with another diy preamp but OPAMP based (Rod Elliot P06). After listening some songs with opamp preamp i moved to High Octane and observed the trebles are faded out and started playing with loading resistors. In P06 i use standard 47k loading resistors the same in high octane but it seems high octane have a different behaviour regarding loading. Can someone explain to me why is that ?
I use a MM Nagaoka MP110.

Yesterday i was playing with High Octane preamp and with another diy preamp but OPAMP based (Rod Elliot P06). After listening some songs with opamp preamp i moved to High Octane and observed the trebles are faded out and started playing with loading resistors. In P06 i use standard 47k loading resistors the same in high octane but it seems high octane have a different behaviour regarding loading. Can someone explain to me why is that ?
I use a MM Nagaoka MP110.
If sound difference persists you can consider first some difference in RIAA actual curves (eg. tolerances) between projects.

Meantime i have installed the 100k input resistor and sound is more balanced. I would really love to have the fullbodied bass from the P06 opamp phono preamp on high octane, as details and openess is nice on high octane but bass a bit shy and dry

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
My take on the High Octane

Finally found some time to take some Snaps (had to listen before :D).

I used KSA1845, tried also BC550 but measured slightly higher noise (though still very low) and so the 1845 went in again. RIAA caps and resistors have been selected out of a dozen and final deviation is <0.5dB with channel mismatch smaller than 0.1dB.

PSU is a small DIY plug housing unregulated linear supply ~50V DC.

I like the sound, its very detailed and punchy :) Very nice Project, thanks a lot to Hannes :cheers:

kind regards, Daniel

Attachments

• IMGP8939.jpg
    IMGP8939.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMGP8940.jpg
    IMGP8940.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMGP8985.jpg
    IMGP8985.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 354
  • IMGP8986.jpg