The high octane phono preamp

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hannes,

Got the board a couple of weeks ago and the parts I didn't have in my boxes arrived today.

I'm looking at using the Zetex ZTX651 transistors in place of the 2SC2547s, at least I can get them at Digikey and be sure they are not fakes.

I am curious about one thing... all of the shunt regulators I've seen use a 2 or 3-terminal current source in line with the active rail (positive or negative). You use the 180R/1w resistor there. Any reason not to replace that with a 2-terminal current source set to about .3a?

Greg in Mississippi

Joined 2003
Paid Member
RIAA cap orientation

h_a, I bought the RIAA caps from you, am using the new board and have a question. I notice the small silver colored RIAA caps have a black line around on end. Assuming they are not polarized, (or are they?) do they have a preferable orientation? If so, should the end of the cap with the line around it be next to the circular silk screen on the board, or towards the "hole end" where the caps other wire would go?

Abundance of caution and all that,

Thanks,
Russellc

If my old data books are correct the black band indicated the lead connected to the outer foil, this should be connected to the lowest potential point.
The reason given was that the outer most part of the foil has an effect of screening the capacitor.

In this case the black bands should all point in the direction of R3 (390R).

Sharif.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If my old data books are correct the black band indicated the lead connected to the outer foil, this should be connected to the lowest potential point.
The reason given was that the outer most part of the foil has an effect of screening the capacitor.

In this case the black bands should all point in the direction of R3 (390R).

Sharif.

OK then, I figured the black band meant something. Not polarized, so towards R3 it is.

Russellc

If RP1 is 180 or 270R is not relevant but the final voltage (43.2v in you case) is decided by RP2 and Rp3 and Led Vf. I will come in more details tommorow or you can search few pages back when i had some similar problems and some very kind guys (Hannes is one of them) explained to me how to adjust RP2 and Rp3 (this is a voltage divider) value in relation of Led Vf to set final voltage.
What voltage do you measure across led ?

If RP1 is 180 or 270R is not relevant but the final voltage (43.2v in you case) is decided by RP2 and Rp3 and Led Vf. I will come in more details tommorow or you can search few pages back when i had some similar problems and some very kind guys (Hannes is one of them) explained to me how to adjust RP2 and Rp3 (this is a voltage divider) value in relation of Led Vf to set final voltage.
What voltage do you measure across led ?

I've set the psu to 48V and checked the led there is 1.6v across it.
Across the SENSEV & SENSEGRD I measured 42.7v and on pin 3 of the THS4031 1.5V

I've just read the post at 125 and 126 and notice you changed RP2 (25K5) to 22K?

Sharif

Here are a few photos of my build.

DSCN0971.jpg

Simple psu using a 20va transformer was a very tight fit.

DSCN0973.jpg

Main board with a three transistor series regulator for the 48v dc.

DSCN0975.jpg

Rear panel layout.

DSCN0977.jpg

Rear panel assembly with a straight through connection and two switchable low pass filter at 500Hz.
This will allow for the extra 1-1.5db eq that needed for the Phillips GP390 ceramic cartridge.

Sharif.