The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2016 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks guys great day ... sorry Stuart and I had to leave early.
Count me in for next time.... Hard to top when I heard today .. If strapped for hardware at the next event I could bring my Amp Camp Amps, DC1B preamp and some FH3s with Alpair drivers.
Again thanks a ton.

Dave (and Stuart)

Fun day.

I really enjoyed yesterday and listening to the systems.

Many lessons learned yesterday since I don't usually move my system or set up for the room I was in.

Dave (DDF): Check out Me and My Guitar by Tep No. I think that's the one you liked. Thanks for the lesson on how a nicely integrated sub isn't overwhelming but adds so much to the music. Your little can set up sounded great.

Dave (newtoaudio): It looked like both you and Stuart were enjoying the day. The vibe just gets better when people are having fun.

Mark and Adam: Thanks for the hand with the equipment at the end of the night. Adam mentioned that I didn't have any bass showing up under about 100hz. We moved the speakers closer to the corner and that improved things a lot.

John: Your comment about one-offs, don't show up a second time. I'm thinking it would be fun to make some changes (including subs) and show up again next year. Time will tell.

Pierre: A pleasure as usual.

Tyler: The 1794 sounded great. That may be a direction I go again.

Ron and everyone who organized the day: Thanks for organizing. It was a great turn out and a lot of fun. I think the organization was good this year. Even the mice seemed to like it.

To the Toronto crew: I hope it was worth the trip.

To other people that I met and talked to it was a pleasure. I passed along to my better half that she got an ovation for letting me have big speakers around 4 o'clock. She laughed.

Thanks to all for a great get together.

Grant.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you all

Just want to say thank you all for making this 8th gathering of the Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY a success.

Grant - Kudos for your system, and putting the energy into transporting it to the Lodge and back. Glad you learned a thing or two. Don't we all ?

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 112
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We kicked off the day listening to John's 1980's KEF speaker kit. It is a three way design that has stood the test of time. We tried a variety of sources and amps, and the sound got more and more realistic over the morning. Very nice IMO.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0008.NEF.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 115
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dave brought his Jim Rogers JR149. He's changed the tweeters, redid the crossovers a few times, and tame the resonances of the cabinet. I liked how he voiced them (the subjective frequency response), and they worked surprisingly well in such a large room.

Attachments

• DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0063.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0063.NEF.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 115
Thank you to everyone who made this year a fantastic success! I met some great people and I hope you become regulars! The equipment, the presentations, the people all made for a thoroughly enjoyable day. Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone, but don't take it personally, I really had to rush off or risk losing my ride.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tyler - Thank you for joining us, and sharing your PCM1794 DAC design. This was my personal discovery of our gathering. It did tone, bass, inner detail, decay and soundstage better than the $$ commercial DAC we compared it to. IMO your DAC is in the league of the high-end SABRE-based DACs and the Altmann Attraction DAC. I would love to hear it again.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0019.NEF.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 109
Thank you to all, but especially the members of the "star chamber" (post 138, I think).

It was a good time. A lot to squeeze into one day, but planning (and MC) helped to keep things moving along somewhat on schedule. (I have to say "somewhat" because we did extend the end time, and my dogs were apparently quite anxious because I was not home at the scheduled/expected time.)

For newtoaudio -we would be happy to hear your projects (post 161) next time.

Great turnout & lots of fun, I thought.

- Ron

One of the best attended meetings we have had.

Grant (Pilover 2000) gave us both a great presentation and a great demonstration. I cannot mask my surprise as to how much better these speakers sounded from when I heard them last. Grant has a great set of ears and has really paid attention to the details in setting up his speaker system.

Well chosen tunes.

And what a monster system to ship!

20160409_154306.jpg

Tyler (Redshift187)

It was a privilege to be a part of such a carefully worked out test of the DAC's. Without Dave's excellently balanced speakers and a very revealing neutral amp it would have been much more difficult to hear any differences.

Output from the power amp (Ncore) from the signal feed was set to within a millivolt. John's preamp (OPC headphone circuit setup as a preamp) was used with a precision matched stepped attenuator (0.1% matched resistors). So about as neutral and fair a setup as can be contrived.

Tyler's DAC was very interesting. A testament to hard work and thoughtful design considerations. And not willing to give up and go the easy route!

I have to say that the ARCAM DAC sounds great. But what we heard from Tyler's work seemed to portray a greater sense of realism. More harmonic richness if there was there in the recording to be reproduced. I did not find it euphonic.

I pay particular attention to harmonics left over after a note is stopped, and their decay in the ambient environment picked up by the mics. This part of the reproduction just seemed more lifelike and involving from Tyler's DAC.

The greater presence in the ARCAM DAC was interesting, but not unappealing either. It reminded me of a bit of a presence peak in the 2800 to 3200 hertz region when one is working on a crossover voicing.

The ARCAM did not sound harsh or anything of the like. It sounded great. But the head to head contest revealed the differences.

20160409_134437.jpg

The presentation by John ( multisync ) was great. speakers old enough to have a pension plan that were really great to listen to. Great presentation to.

20160409_123329.jpg

A nice informative demonstration. Great choice in tunes to. And makes you really think about the amount of time required to make such a good sounding crossover when there were no real methods of doing the kind of calculation we take for granted today.

They gave a great soundstage and did not display any real colourations with the chosen and widely varied program material.

What about our M.C.'s?

Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)

Pierre.jpg

and John (bearberry)

John.png

A great job moving things along and keeping our show on the rails.

And Dave. Wow what a presentation and what great sounding speakers.

20160409_163637.jpg

Great music for listening to.

There was a very consistent standard for the sound reproduction this year. Every system was great to listen to.

Justin brought us a great chip amp that we listened to.

20160409_121253.jpg

And some of our new members brought a cool little setup with tiny speakers and a great little amp.
And I did not take a picture!

Nor do I remember their names. But I'm a legendary name forgetter anyway.

To everyone that came. You are welcome to come again. This type of a gathering does best with people who are willing to share and listen. You need not have anything fancy to bring. Great enjoyment comes from sharing and exchanging ideas and stories about what we both enjoyed and experienced.

Looking forward to the next one!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A few more photos.

First, many thanks to Mark and Adam for bringing their horn-loaded system. The voicing was different from last time, and the music that was played sounded great - as alway. Marc and Adam have participated since the inception of this annual get together in 2010.

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 99
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Felix is one of the newcomers to our event. He brought his analog front end, including moving step up transformers. The transformers were susceptible to EMI, so for shielding he put them in 90° iron elbow fittings. It works. His record clamp (a hockey puck) was equally ingenious.

Attachments

• DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 96
Wow, pics are on.
Biggest surprise - John's KEF T-lines setup driven by Dave's 'Testastretta - Hypex'. Kids whom I meet with boom boxes on 4 wheels should listen to it first before they put big bucks on some power hungry monsters in trunks and drive themselves to deafness. Classic good speakers design driven by modern source and amplification :D
Next, Tyler's DAC - head to head with commercial designs costing much more, a DIY at a level that I can dream of...
Dave's Rogers with ScanSpeak D2905-9000 - nice sound for such a tiny loudspeaker, with 5 incher and tweeter which are precursors of many similar drivers used today.
Mark, hmmm modern 4x 75mm membranes in non-traditional quarter wave loading down to 20-30Hz - impossible :whacko:... - x-o with help of DSP, very interesting :rolleyes:
Personally I would like to thank everyone who brought their HPs - I had chance to compare them side by side at the same time, something which would be impossible in Ottawa stores - turns out Beyers DT880-600ohm are not bright at all as I thought they are and are a bit laid back comparing to SennHD600, Shure 1440, 840.
As result of yesterdays meeting the ugliness with Focals that sits in my room might get a little different voicing, unless it is an amp issue (and most likely), just like in case Johns Kefs. In this case some form Testastretta will be considered. Yes, I like the sound of Ducks, especially 900SS with Termignonis - desmodromico classic, even more 916.

Attachments

• IMG_20151102_143113071[1].jpg
    IMG_20151102_143113071[1].jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 64
Just wanted to add how much we enjoyed the meeting and equipment....shame we did not get to hear more. We both learned quite a bit in the limited time we were there. Fascinating to see the contrast between our little HIFIberry AMP+ and all the other monsters. Thanks to John, Dave, Mark for the tips......pleasure to meet/talk with you. Terry and Lyne.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.