The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2016 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Update...

Ohh, Justin - your little amp might be just what my piece of... junk, might need in bi-amp mode :spin: to sound decent - it would be cheap Panigale upgrade and power supply stays the same.
Testastretta is a bit pricey... , but very sexy and desirable :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone

BTW, how can I get the pieces of music that were used for evaluation.

Attachments

• IMG_20150703_095746853[1].jpg
    IMG_20150703_095746853[1].jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 100
Mark, hmmm modern 4x 75mm membranes in non-traditional quarter wave loading down to 20-30Hz - impossible ... - x-o with help of DSP, very interesting

It's called a back loaded horn. I didn't take the time to actually do a lot of explaining.

And yes the F3 of this horn is indeed 30 hertz.

And the DSP is used to do a little lift of 3db.

Not to much.

Because the rear of the drivers are producing the low bass, and they are horn loaded you can actually get some pretty serious bass out if them. I have demonstrated this in other meets.

They are very capable of shaking the rafters in the community center all on their own.

As we had them set up the sub was only filling from 40 hertz on down.

The two way cabinet is very solid down to 40 hertz. A region where many speakers are already pooping out.

Thanks everyone for a very enjoyable get together. Nice to meet so many new faces and catching up with old ones.

I'm glad the JRs were enjoyed. In honour of Grant, maybe I'll rename them the "Warhols"
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Warhol-Campbell_Soup-1-screenprint-1968.jpg

There was allot of good sound through the day but, Tyler, my vote is that next year your DAC become "the house dac". It's DIY and sounds very sweet indeed! It was the highlight for me, along with the nice (unexpected!) surprise from John's t-line

Now I'm being teased with Ducati's. Given the theme of the weekend, I think the 900SS would be the DIY mascot?

PS John K, please PM me, email to you bounced (questions about that nice pre of yours)

Mark, just teasing.
Dave, I love the way my friends 900SS sounded. Darek used to fix cars for Claude Fortier - John Otvos Waveform. Beautiful rich bottom end, nice lower mids - just like nice, big tube amp. I know a bit about the story of the first '916' in Ottawa ever since it arrived in the crate with big Cagiva elephant symbol on it - sex on two wheels. And Ducati is really whats left from BOTT that are still competitive in WSB racing, plus Aprilia. I confess of doing cafe racing in the past, and hanging around in garages with some weird characters - just like yesterday on DIY Audio meeting - totally charmless activities. I miss riding a motorcycle ....

There is also one of the kind engine of SOS fame by Ducati - Supermono. Very sexi, and ingenious design. I better stop or they kick me out from forum. But there is always something to learn from mechanical designs - subs with motors on opposite sides of the cone work just like boxer engines and push pull amps do the same thing.

Dave. the preamp is based on Owens original Bal to SE headphone amp, opamp and buffer inside the feedback loop. NO capacitors in the signal path and therefore DC coupled. I left out the coupling caps as everything I own has an output cap or an input cap. I left out the Bal parts and made it Se to SE with a gain of 4 (12db)? The only unusual bit is the balance control. I put the balance control in series with the volume pot and used half of the balance control on each channel. 1/2 10k linear stepped pot in series with a stepped 10k log pot. With the balance control centred the input Z is 15k. As the balance control is moved from extreme left to extreme right the input Z is 10k on left and 20k on right and visa versa. The balance control has a total maximum effect of 6 db. AT max volume setting there is always 5k in series with the input opamp. I tried the preamp without a balance control and it worked fine, but in my living room one side of the room has more reflections than the other side and so sitting in the middle between the speakers, one channel seems louder than the other. So a balance control was necessary in my situation. Power supply is an all fet series regulator I bought on ebay a while ago and I haven't seen it in a long while on ebay. I think Owen's latest low noise regulators are most likely better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.