The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2016 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Foobar... I know it supposed to be Bit perfect, unnecessary plugins out (I figured it out when I had some tik, tak noise and other junk coming from it) to load the processor, etc. I don't have external DAC, but isolated ground or fiber optic would be the way to go (damned Chicago downtown). I don't think that USB was designed for audio data transfer when it was introduced. I tried DSD files, but can not commend whether it sounds better - deafness and/or equipment not good enough up to the job. I'm a bit sceptical that I would hear improvement over regular but really very well recorded 96k, 88k PCM, even CDs and 48k - something along MA Recordings, etc. Maybe... Foobar converts DSDIFF, DSF to PCM, so I don't really see any advantage of 1 bit processing over PCM, in my computer set-up using Foobar.
Mark since your system is way better than my junk, any commends on your experience with DSD.

Tyler, any chance you could do a talk about USB and DAC's? (or maybe we can just have a chat at some point at the meetup)

One thing I was wondering about in regards to the USB -> I2S thing from DIYINHK is what the linux kernel support was like. I had heard contradictory information on that, some saying it doesn't work, some saying you need a proprietary driver others saying there was kernel drivers.

Also, do you have schematics up anywhere for your stuff? I'd love to take a look at the PCB routing stuff.

I'd like to hear this talk too, if you're up to it Tyler

Mark since your system is way better than my junk, any commends on your experience with DSD

To be a naysayer, If you have a good recording on CD or SACD even identical ones. It is very difficult to distinguish between them.

I can tell some interesting little stories about playback at audio shows if you guys remind me.

I have run two demo rooms at two different Rocky Mountain Audio Festivals.

And did it with equipment that was valued well above six figures.

Had some interesting insights.

Okay I put my USB DAC in the presentations sheet. I can't speak too much to the USB side, but I know a bit. I've always just purchased USB->I2S converters as most of the ICs involved can't be had in amounts of 1. I have and use both of the DIYINHK devices, the XMOS and the CM6631A. I can give lots of information on the design decisions I made in the actual DAC.

NB: I'm terrified of public speaking, no hecklers (Mark) :D

One thing I was wondering about in regards to the USB -> I2S thing from DIYINHK is what the linux kernel support was like. I had heard contradictory information on that, some saying it doesn't work, some saying you need a proprietary driver others saying there was kernel drivers.

Also, do you have schematics up anywhere for your stuff? I'd love to take a look at the PCB routing stuff.

Here's the thread for my DAC: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/271388-nos-pcm1794.html

As far as the XMOS DIYINHK USB interface, I had some trouble with Ubuntu 14. It worked fine if you were happy with 44.1kHz. If you wanted some upsampling, things got a whole lot trickier. I sort of got it to work with Jack2, but I also wanted system sounds and Chrome sound to work. Eventually I just gave up trying to get ALSA and JACK to play nice and went back to Windows.

Linux: PITA to set up for upsampling and mixing
Windows: requires driver
OSX: just works

Okay I put my USB DAC in the presentations sheet. I can't speak too much to the USB side, but I know a bit. I've always just purchased USB->I2S converters as most of the ICs involved can't be had in amounts of 1. I have and use both of the DIYINHK devices, the XMOS and the CM6631A. I can give lots of information on the design decisions I made in the actual DAC.

NB: I'm terrified of public speaking, no hecklers (Mark) :D

Just be yourself Tyler.

You are a natural at explaining things.

And what's a little ribbing among friends.

I'll pick on Dave while you are talking.

FWIW

My last dac was a single 1794 from Ross Martin Audio. It sounded good. I expect his dual 1794's sound great. It will be interesting to hear about what you've built.

If it helps instead of sitting down we should all just stand around. It will be less like "public speaking" and more like just having a conversation that way. There's no reason we can't do that.

Grant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.