The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2016 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Grant you will be the only one to get the presentation!

About the google groups.

I accepted the invitation almost the second it came in.

I just went to the linked page and I see nothing there that will allow me to enter anything.

I openly admit that it is probably me that is having this difficulty.

What am I doing wrong?

The link sends me to:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/diyaudio_ottawa

I get no farther than this.

About the google groups.

I accepted the invitation almost the second it came in.

I just went to the linked page and I see nothing there that will allow me to enter anything.

I openly admit that it is probably me that is having this difficulty.

What am I doing wrong?

The link sends me to:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/diyaudio_ottawa

I get no farther than this.

Mark,

the email I had was your kravchenko-audio one - which I am guessing is not tied to google. Since the group is 'private' you're not seeing anything because it's not tied to the google account you're logged into.

You can still post to the group with email by sending email to: diyaudio_ottawa at googlegroups dot com

google groups function exactly the same as mailman or other mail lists software. The web part is just to make life easier.

To access the group document it has to be your google account on the list.

I can add your google/gmail account if you want. (PM or email me)

I can also make the group public to view if there is no objection (when I made it I simply turned on all the privacy settings)

On another note, I would be happy to bring some of my stuff if there is any interest.

I was hoping someone would be able to look at my lm3886 amp - it's nothing special one of those XY ebay kits, but I was hoping to get a pair of second or third eyes to tell me if I did anything horribly stupid.

I have a cheap aliexpress dac LJM--- USB DAC Kit CS8416 + CS4398

I may have a PGA2311 kit . Haven't got around to putting it in a case.

If time is on my side I may have my PGA2311 boards done ( https://github.com/jjrh/PGA2311 ) - mostly need to verify footprint sizes and order the parts. (lm78xx/79xx are built - https://github.com/jjrh/linear_psu_v1 ) and the relay board is done but not tested ( https://github.com/jjrh/audio_relay_input_switch )

Both git repos might be out of date if I didn't type git push.

so yeah if anyone is interested in any of this stuff i'm happy to bring it along.

DDF,

how are the Hypex 400 modules. Is it a High-RPM screamer (classic inexpensive AB, lots Hi-Freq dist., sterile) or Desmodromic Classic ? Or Something along Testastretta DVT. A bit weird descrition for an amp, maybe accurate one.

BTW, after listening to music using Foobar and Audacity with headphones, I found that Foobar sound compressed, bright and mechanical comparing to Audacity. Can anyone report on it, or is it my brain imagination.
I read somewhere, that someone didn't like the sound of Protools, preferring some other record editing tool ?!

The DAC I'm bringing is designed specifically to drive headphones differentially. The connector is a 4-pin XLR. I can provide wiring info for anyone who wants to make a cable for their own headphones, and I have cables that will fit many models of Sennheisers. It can also drive single ended amps via RCA outputs.

DDF,

how are the Hypex 400 modules. Is it a High-RPM screamer (classic inexpensive AB, lots Hi-Freq dist., sterile) or Desmodromic Classic ? Or Something along Testastretta DVT. A bit weird descrition for an amp, maybe accurate one.

BTW, after listening to music using Foobar and Audacity with headphones, I found that Foobar sound compressed, bright and mechanical comparing to Audacity. Can anyone report on it, or is it my brain imagination.
I read somewhere, that someone didn't like the sound of Protools, preferring some other record editing tool ?!

I hope the Hypex is anything but that! From all accounts it's not, it's supposed to be very clean without being sterile. If I get it done (50/50) will bring it to the event so everyone can listen.

I've been using foobar for years, it's bit perfect if set up that way. Go into preferences->DSP manager and remove any active dsp processing modules from there to avoid any unwanted processing. Secondly, run it using Wasapi event output mode to bypass windows kmixer doing anything you don't want. I use an asynch dac that takes full advantage of event mode to avoid any source jitter.

Finally, this made an immense improvement in the sound of my USB based dac set up.
https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/USB-ISO/
It wasn't even subtle and everyone readily heard it. The technical reason is that, when I switched my music set up PC, the new PC used a grounded power supply. Ground loops through the usb were causing what had to be bit errors. I could even hear EMI/RFI "swirlies" through the tweeter without it.

When I used an ungrounded lap top as the music player, the isolator made no difference. So, if you have a grounded plug PC, this isolator is worth a try. Couple caveats: the ADUM4160 chip used supports 24/96 max; I've only used it unpowered as my usb dac doesn't require dc supplied through USB.

While we're on about Foobar plugins, I use SOX mod2 to upsample to 176.4kHz/192kHz. It's adjustable as far as frequencies go and can be used to tune to your preference of pre or post ringing.

I've specifically set it up to upsample 44.1kHz to 176.4kHz and 48kHz to 192kHz as my DAC has oversampling disabled but still needs a high sample frequency for the analogue anti-imaging filter to do its thing.

While we're on about Foobar plugins, I use SOX mod2 to upsample to 176.4kHz/192kHz. It's adjustable as far as frequencies go and can be used to tune to your preference of pre or post ringing.

I've specifically set it up to upsample 44.1kHz to 176.4kHz and 48kHz to 192kHz as my DAC has oversampling disabled but still needs a high sample frequency for the analogue anti-imaging filter to do its thing.

Tyler, which technique are you using to isolate the USB? The ADUM4160 only supports 96k max. There is an alternative isolator out there that supports 196 kHz but its $$$

Tyler, any chance you could do a talk about USB and DAC's? (or maybe we can just have a chat at some point at the meetup)

One thing I was wondering about in regards to the USB -> I2S thing from DIYINHK is what the linux kernel support was like. I had heard contradictory information on that, some saying it doesn't work, some saying you need a proprietary driver others saying there was kernel drivers.

Also, do you have schematics up anywhere for your stuff? I'd love to take a look at the PCB routing stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.