The food thread

About to make a picnic into a ham. Takes about a week.

Wow, that was deep! :D

https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/brown-sugar-glazed-baked-picnic-ham/

I have always suffered from Low Blood Sugar. Especially in the Morning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Drops to 1.6 in the darkest Hours. Normal is about 6.0.

Happily my friends notice this and try to help.

IM000946.JPG

Bread Pudding. Bit Sugary, IMO. But appreciate it.

'People most commonly use berberine for diabetes, high levels of cholesterol or other fats in the blood, and high blood pressure. It is also used for burns, canker sores, liver disease, and many other conditions but there is no good scientific evidence to support many of these uses.'

I would do a titration of medication vs. blood sugar response and then quantify the dose.
Individual responses vary, and I know of cases where brothers living in the same house (same kitchen too) landed in the diabetes ICU, and had different responses medication.
Those are tough to handle, most are aged patients in partial shock and with old age issues.

So please do not endorse oral or injectible medicines without a proper medical check up, diabetes is sometimes undetected or untreated for years, and permanent damage can occur.

So please do not endorse oral or injectible medicines without a proper medical check up, diabetes is sometimes undetected or untreated for years, and permanent damage can occur.
Get a "proper medical checkup" and you're likely to be prescribed Metformin, which is now known to have some seriously deleterious effects on your health. Guess what? Medical "science" is just as fallible as any other. And I'll endorse whatever the hell I want.

Probably having a good meal with wine before banning some folks.

Now what did you last feast upon?

For lunch I splurged on a local pizza from a place often considered the best. They roll out a thin crust (yes roll!) and use their own tomato sauce (apparently without added sugar as some places do!) and a mixture of fresh mozzarella and imported provolone cheeses. Topped with a locally made pastrami, sausage and surprisingly high quality black olives.

One secret is the founder used to scoop out the cheese with two hands. I have actually heard one person complain there is too much cheese on their pizzas!!!

The result is “Not Bad”. ;)

Last edited:
:oops: Are you serious? I know there is quite a bit of Italian heritage in Pittsburgh area and because of it, that's just #@!%$^+. How do they even stay in business?

One of those places is located in a very white bread neighborhood! Quite popular there!! :(

I suspect enough sugar to taste it, is used when not using the right type of ripe tomatoes.

Last edited:
You are lucky, here the pizza is a ready made flat bread, topped with a mixture of cheese, tomato sauce and whatever you choose.
Then grilled or baked.

I prefer to make my own sauce, spread it on the bread, add topping, then cover with shredded cheese, a mix of mozzarella and cheddar (not much choice here in cheese), then bake in an oven with heat from top and bottom.
The cheese melts and the topping is sealed, and absorbs the tomato flavor as well.

The original Italian pizza used a rolled crust, which got baked along with the pizza, the dough was rolled or whirled, used to line the pan, and the pizza built up.

Boneless chicken tikka or boneless tandoori chicken is a popular topping here. Fusion cooking!
Not so strongly flavored chicken, capsicum, other vegetables, are other popular choices for toppings.
Chicken liver, pork, prawns, mutton...those are not so popular.

And some of the choices would make the Italians' head spin.

Tomato can vary in tanginess, there is a 'Brix' number for that, and maybe the too tangy tomatoes got sweetened up.
In any case, the American diet has a comparatively high level of sugar compared to the normal diet of other countries, some youngsters in other countries like American style food more than their inherited food.

Last edited:
As for diabetes medicine, yes, alternates exist.
There are medicines in Homeopathy and Ayurveda as well, but in every medical system the dose varies from individual to individual.
Diet and body weight are important considerations, so are availability.
A blanket endorsement is injudicious.

Last edited:
Now what did you last feast upon?
Well now, let me think...
I have enjoyed some classic Quebec "casse-croute" lately, yer basic steamies and poutine. Not sure "feast" is the right word.
Last night I sparked up the charcoal BBQ and when the coals were well lit I added a couple of small pieces of cherry wood, then placed some sweet Italian sausages on the side away from the charcoal, so they smoked a bit and cooked with indirect heat. I saw I had half an onion in the fridge (don't remember when I used the other half, can't have been too long ago) so I brushed the cut side with a bit of olive oil and tossed it on the grill. I cut a stalk of broccoli into 3 spears, drizzled them with oil and sprinkled with S&P and put those on the grill too. Cooked some farfalle, and when it was done drained it, and put some olive oil in the pot with some minced garlic and crushed chilis (and "Armenian pepper" which I am just figuring out), chopped up the grilled onion and tossed it in foir a minute, turned off the heat and added the sliced sausages and the chopped roasted broccoli, added back the pasta and some grated parmesan, tossed it all up and, yes, feasted.
If it's not snowing, or raining really hard, or maybe even then, I'm cooking on the charcoal BBQ.

It works, if properly done. Personal experience.

The US FDA thinks the tiny doses are useless, and does not bother to regulate it. Anybody can sell or use those, without fear of prosecution.

Opinions vary.

I am diabetic, it runs in the family, and I have seen the effects of improperly treated diabetes personally.
So again, I advise extreme caution.
There is a big difference between short or medium term illnesses, and permanent diseases like diabetes.
Insulin pumps are used by advanced cases, that is inconvenient I think.
Better safe than sorry.

Cal, your decision, if you feel it is not relevant.

Last edited: