The food thread

I did a bit this week cleaning up things.

First I wet rendered a few pounds of fat. I simmer it in a pot of water for six or so hours. Strain out the liquid into another pot and let it cool a few hours. What is left is some of the whitest cleanest fat on top of a bit of water. The pot used to simmer the fat still has some left in it, but I do not go for any more separation.

Next was to sauté a few pounds of lamb liver and kidney in small pieces.

Those hand ground with a “meat chopper” mixed with a small amount of fat gave me a nice pate. Doused of course with a bit of brandy.

Also while cleaning up, brined, roasted and then smoked a small 12 pound turkey.

Next up brining and smoking some salmon.

Finally time to clean the kitchen floor, counters and a bit of cooking equipment.

In two weeks may be barley soup time.

I did a bit this week cleaning up things.

First I wet rendered a few pounds of fat. I simmer it in a pot of water for six or so hours. Strain out the liquid into another pot and let it cool a few hours. What is left is some of the whitest cleanest fat on top of a bit of water..

Just two days ago I made a pie crust which used 50% rendered beef fat. You have to break it up really well with a pastry fork.

The result was fantastic. (This year, for some reason, has been a bumper year for cherries.)

Last edited:
Tried some new tempura on Saturday. Is was quite good and really seemed to set the mood for the rest of the evening. Not sure what the veggie was, I just did the batter. Picture is kinda blurry. Not sure what's up with that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.45.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.45.03 PM.png
    924.7 KB · Views: 99
Last nigh SWMBO and I returned to the Wild Caraway, one of the most interesting and creative restaurants in the middle of nowhere. They are currently offering a prix fixe dinner menu with two choices for each course, so we just said "Bring us one of everything".

Starters (not counting a little plate of amuse bouche they brought first) were pea and mint pierogis with spring onion. bacon, sour cream, mint oil, and primrose flowers, or halibut poke with balsam fir, dulse, elderflower, spring onion and fried Irish moss with casava chips.

The mains were seared local scallops (12) with day lily and sunflower seed pesto, snap peas, kohlrabi, cucumber, and lemon, or house made cavatelli pasta with local lobster, lobster mushrooms, lobster sauce, lobster oil, snap peas, roasted cherry tomatoes, fennel, and fresh shaved parmesan.

All of the seeds, flowers, peas etc are grown in their garden or foraged (dulse, balsam fir, etc). They are located at Advocate Harbor, NS, a thriving fishing community, so the lobsters, scallops, and halibut are indeed fresh and local. Before desert they brought a primrose sorbet with wild blueberries from their own berry patch. The rhubarb Tom Collins was a nice start, too.