The food thread

Oh I thought you harvested it from your back yard :)
In my yesteryears that would be the case but that is long behind me. Since I dropped down to two active brain cells, I keep them for other things like keeping my lungs breathing and my heart beating.

Oh and there's rum. I need to remember how to lift the glass to my lips without spilling.

Yesterday we picked chanterelles.
Today we had chanterelle soup with a chunk of salmon and some broccoli.

There's still hope for my Trinidad Moruga Scorpion!
Other chilies are looking okay as well, geting colder here now.
Yellow peppers starting to look yellow-ish.

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_170028_637.jpg
    IMG_20210812_170028_637.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210812_172112_301.jpg
    IMG_20210812_172112_301.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210812_172123_196.jpg
    IMG_20210812_172123_196.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20210812_172128_959.jpg
    IMG_20210812_172128_959.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20210812_172140_252.jpg
    IMG_20210812_172140_252.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 53
Hopefully, the investigators will believe you!

hehe, fully legal here. Strang thing is, I thought the streets were going to be full of it. Nope people still hide behind bushes in the parks and such even though you're allowed to do almost anything with it except sell it. That would robbing money from the Gov't. Something they take a dim view on.

There's still hope for my Trinidad Moruga Scorpion!
Other chilies are looking okay as well,
I am sad for your peppers K-man. What it just not warm and sunny enough this year?
Here we are watering everyday day as there has been no rain and it's heating up again. Today and tomorrow will get to 37º away from the ocean. Nothing like that heat dome 6 weeks ago but still pretty hard on a lot of food plants. Not to mention the young and old folks.

I'm really happy I might get to try the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, it's getting close to ripe. Not possible to buy here, so have to grow them.
That's between 1.2 - 2 million scoville units right there, in that teeny little thing!

The Thai chilies are about 35-45 000 or so scoville units, looks like I'll get a few of those as well, lots of those other thingies I'm not really sure about as well.

All of my peppers and tomatoes are a bust this year. Either they never really got going or they got sawed off by slugs and snails. I have some tomato plants just starting to flower now, and others that are about 4" high, which is about an inch higher than when I planted them. I don't understand what happened, except maybe I needed to start them sooner and transplant them later (in which case I don't have a place for them to grow and get light). Last year they were great

Edit: Last year the tomatoes were great, the peppers not so much.

After last year, with a ground-hog eating the tomatoes, the only thing we have growing are basil, rosemary and lots of zinnias, coneflower, nicotiana and cleome!

I trapped the ground-hog last year, released him at the "Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge" about 7 miles from our house...about two days he was back.

(PS if you use a "Hav-a-Heart" trap put newspaper down in the trunk.)

Yes our herbs (in containers on back deck) are doing great (mostly). Two types of rosemary, thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano, tarragon, and flat leaf parsley. The parsley was slow to start, and the tarragon is disappointing. The oregano seems healthy enough now but hasn't grown as aggressively as in the past.

Last year I planted some purple sage in one of our garden beds, and it came back this spring and is doing great, it even flowered! We have some mint which I think I planted a couple of years ago which sort of disappeared but now has come back in a different place and is spreading and growing like crazy. Some plants are about 3 feet high and the leaves are huge.

My corn had only a bit of one row sprout. The rule around here is “Knee high by the Fourth of July.” It is now ankle high. Curious to see if it grows any more height.

Grapes are doing well. Probably time soon to check on last years wine.

Most productive are the neighbor’s ducks. They got three female flightless ones and they each produce an egg a day. That is quite a bit more than they use. I feed them one of their favorites, lettuce. Fun to watch and nothing even resembling work to prep the lettuce. Also a bit surprised to find my body is noticeably happier when I eat a salad every day.

Who would have thunk it, you are what you eat

But then for the summer I bought some short sleeve shirts. American size Extra Large. They came in also marked with the size Canadian Large.

In the past few months I've been teaching myself to cook. As a single guy with few prospects of that changing - I'm 68, and have a low tolerance for women - it seemed like a good idea. And after eating a limited diet while living on a yacht for ten years, I'm enjoying the process.

I make hearty soups, pizza, bread, fruit loaves and cakes. I also make my own tonic water and orange soda. Living 48 km from the nearest supermarket has brought out my creative side, and I'm also saving a fortune. :)

Attachments

• Portuguese Tart (sliced).jpg
    Portuguese Tart (sliced).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Banana Bread 1 (sliced).jpg
    Banana Bread 1 (sliced).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Bread Loaf.jpg
    Bread Loaf.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Basic Pizza.jpg
    Basic Pizza.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Veggie Soup.jpg
    Veggie Soup.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Tonic Water.jpg
    Tonic Water.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 47
Since there is also some talk about growing your own ... this year I planted a peach, a nectarine and a dwarf Tahitian lime. The lime is still going strong, the other two appear dead. But it's almost spring here so maybe they'll bounce back.

I've also grown a small tomato plant in a pot - result, one tiny tomato - and some potatoes in a bag of potting mix. The potatoes were Ok but small and not very plentiful, enough for a couple of meals.

If I get my head outdoors some time in the next few months there may be more stuff planted.