The food thread

I would agree that new crockpots have a metallic taste. This does go away with use. Fine for canning until broken in!

I disagree, our last crock pot was 20 years old (+/-) and used frequently when both the wife and I were working, the convenience outweighed the issue, but it never went away.....although for some reason (I could never pin down) about 1 in 10 times it just wasn’t there!
Near as I can figure it does something to the ph and hydrogen ion balance in the final product but even staying at a holiday inn isn’t gonna help with me understanding it!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would agree that new crockpots have a metallic taste. This does go away with use. Fine for canning until broken in!

Canning in a crockpot?

I think language is getting in the way again.

Crockpot:

SCCPVI600-S-1.jpg

I can't imagine how one would do canning in one of these, so I can only assume you are calling something else a crockpot (?)

Ed, thanks for going to the trouble to make those pictures but what does that have to do with making an omelet? No one would use a large cast iron pan to make a classic omelet unless they had to. It's to heavy for a line cook to use all day and it is too slow to regulate the heat up and down. Typical now are either non-stick or a standard carbon steel skillet (non-stick when seasoned).

Scott,

Using a cast iron pan with an induction cooktop allows precise control of the heat, large thermal mass so it doesn't change much when the food is added. Food doesn't stick and if you follow J.P. with the fine herb omelet and don't want any brown, it is the easiest way to go I know of!

Putting the eggs in a blender, cast iron fry pan, induction cooktop and I can crank out omelets almost as fast as they are consumed.

Then there is the fine herb vs western style omelet. I did like the sushi salmon one. Perhaps you would try them more often if you did use more interesting fillings.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Me too. A crock pot is made of ceramic and doesn't plug in. What everyone here, including what you have shown, is a slow cooker.

Except that "Crock Pot" is a brand of slow cooker that has become synonymous with "slow cooker". Sort of like "Kleenex" is a synonym for "tissue". When someone says "crock pot" in my presense, I immediately assume they are talking about a slow cooker. I can't recall that assumption ever being wrong.

For the record, I primarily call them slow cookers as well - but I would never consider using one for canning anything.

Last edited:
Today it was;

Breakfast, Turkey bacon, toast with cranberry sauce and fresh squeezed orange juice.

Lunch, Turkey and stuffing burrito, mineral water and reused sweet potato pancakes.

Dinner, Turkey mixed greens salad, salad dressing was just a bit of turkey gravy, apple juice and a small slice of pumpkinish pie.

Cal,

My slow cooker says "Crock Pot" right on it.