The food thread

Start it breast down and flip it after a half hour or so. If the rack leaves rack marks, start it on a silicone sheet or multiple layers of parchment paper. Make sure it's well greased to prevent skin attack.

Good idea, the racks were nonstick and the turkey came off no problem as it was. Being one that doesn't care if there's marks on the turkey (especially once sliced!), I won't worry about sullying my silpat.

I'll be sure to try a chicken or three this method before next Thanksgiving (with the hopes that we're again allowed to be with loved ones, i.e. I'm not in charge of the turkey) to make sure I get it down. I would recommend the air drying-with-salt-coating (ahem, "dry brining") technique however. That did well.

The roast veggie medley went off extremely well, as it always does. It's always a good reminder how yummy oven roasted cherry tomatoes really are.

I have done the pie from real pumpkin thing a few times. Yes use pie pumpkins aka sugar pumpkins, not decorative pumpkins or leftover jack o' lantern. Cut them in half (I go stem to blossom but am willing to hear arguments fir equatorial), scrape out seeds, and place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven about 375-400F (you know your oven better than I do). Roast about 40 minutes until the flesh is soft. Reduce temp about 50F and roast a while longer. The pumpkin halves should collapse and most of the juice should evaporate. As they cool a vacuum will form under the pumpkin halves causing them to collapse even more dramatically. When cool scrape out the flesh and puree in food processor or mash. This puree will not look like the stuff that comes out of a can. If you are worried put an extra egg in the custard. I have never done this but wonder about putting some whole spices in the pumpkin cavities while roasting.

Anyway the results have always been good, but you gotta roast the bejesus out of the pumpkin!

I use green striped Cushaw pumpkin as they are the original squash used in the south from what I have been able to find out. One pumpkin produces about a dozen pints of canned squash for pies, rolls, etc.

03899_01_greencushaw.jpg

I grew turban squashes this year.
They roast well and if ripened fully the skin becomes hard enough that it can be used like a casserole dish if you cut around the boundary line left by the flower.
Very ripe ones are hard enough that you get a peat pot if you save the shell again.

Attachments

• DSCF6433E.jpg
    DSCF6433E.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 62
I've been baking a simple bread. I swear I can tell the difference between "Gold Medal" and "King Arthur" flower, but my wife says she doesnt sense it. Sounds almost like audio!

Could someone explain what the difference would be between these two flours using subjective terminology?

All I can say is I think the KA tastes better. Price difference is down in the noise too; we thought we'd try the GM just to see - as all flours arent available every time we go shopping.

Things cooked in a crock pot taste different to me, almost a metallic flavor even though the food is in a ceramic crock with a glass lid.......wife says I’m nutz.
Old flour is another one, old oil, etc. she can’t taste a difference but it’s night and day to me

Exactly like audio! Some people are just more sensitive to certain things than others.

I would agree that new crockpots have a metallic taste. This does go away with use. Fine for canning until broken in!

Breakfast, cranberry pancakes.

Lunch, thin sliced turkey sandwich with classic lettuce , tomato and a bite of mustard.

Dinner, Hot Brown!

Hot Brown Recipe - NYT Cooking

(I stayed quite a bit at the Brown while working in Louisville and have had the original!)

Last edited: