The food thread

Meanwhile, in Norway:
Flippin' home made moose burgers, with home made burger buns, home made dressing and home made beer to go with. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_174513.jpg
    IMG_20181027_174513.jpg
    822.9 KB · Views: 112
Yes, I see it now. Assumed it had a different meaning, well, at least I learned something new today :D
Here's the most forum friendly version I could find:
"When a guy gets a wedgie between his balls and leg. Similar to a camel toe except for guys."

Shocked to see there's also being sold fancy clothing by this name!
Behold! The Moose Knuckle Look! even for girls!
MK2003LP_450_1.jpg

Lots being sold here!
Moose Knuckles(R) Fashion − 177 Best Sellers from 10 Stores | Stylight

Now I want to try that with habernero peppers...

Maybe I should just try the original proven formula first!
Habanero's don't work as well for me. I guess there's not enough sugar in the flesh so I always make a mixed sauce by adding some red and yellow bell peppers and/or chilies along with it. Habanero is such a nice flavour.

They tasted just like a proper burger should
Nice.
Got some legs of lamb I have been dry-salting for some days, have to hang them up to dry now.
Looking forward to your results.
Are they seasoned other than the salt?
How long did you salt for and how long will you hang them?
Room temp for drying?

No, room temp is way too high. Should be less than 8c. Both for salting and drying.
Salt them for between 0.6 to 1 x 24hours per kg. I smeared on a bit of honey as well.
Hang them up in a safe place, maybe like a airy but closed off woodshed or similar, put them in the freezer when day tempe gets over 20c, hang them back up when the temp gets reasonably low again.

It is important to massage out the blood before salting

I need to have Fenalår for Jul (I do not like the word "Chrstmas"). But it's good any time of year. Served with flatbread and sour cream it is the best thing to have with your drinking buddies, remember to have some Mead ready just in case any Viking blood wakes up.

What I learned about wood-pecker food. Woodpeckers in northern California where we are at the moment, farm their food. They place the acorns of these pacific oaks in niches of my son's house and harvest the larvae when they get hungry.

Of interest in the Sunday NYTimes -- candies around the world. For some of you aesthetes, yes there is a durian candy made in Malaysia:

These Are the World’s Best Candies. Want to Fight About It? - The New York Times

What I learned about wood-pecker food. Woodpeckers in northern California where we are at the moment, farm their food. They place the acorns of these pacific oaks in niches of my son's house and harvest the larvae when they get hungry.

Attachments

• 81BD94BE-2887-42F0-A3C5-3225192A9A4E.jpg
    81BD94BE-2887-42F0-A3C5-3225192A9A4E.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 687499D8-4C4C-49C4-8EEE-7C1723199C81.jpeg
    687499D8-4C4C-49C4-8EEE-7C1723199C81.jpeg
    669.9 KB · Views: 114
SO back from Russia bearing gifts!

So we stopped at the local Polish grocers and bought the ingredients for salted cucumbers: garlic, horseradish root, wild dill and tarragon. Together with black rye bread (caraway seeded) Baltic herrings, and a very smooth iced vodka, the last few hours have been very pleasant indeed!

Attachments

• pickles.jpg
    pickles.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 104
InstaPot pulled beef corn meal tacos, purple cabbage, green onions, Bermuda avocado guacamole, jalapeño peppers, and hot sauce. The first tray of three went pretty quick, but the forth and fifth took a bit longer. Unfortunately my cold/flu came back with a vengeance, and wasn’t able to wash them down with anything other than water.

Attachments

• BCAFF194-C95F-4A8A-A142-AF91BE721738.jpeg
    BCAFF194-C95F-4A8A-A142-AF91BE721738.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 77
I'm not fond of tarragon, but really like horseradish and dill.

I made a batch of all meat chili that turned out well. I put up 5 pints of what my son refers to as "Bunker Hill Chili".

I think I put the chili in too early and after cooking it for near 6 hours it has a very earthy flavor. Not a disagreeable flavor, just different.

Cal, that was Mrs B’s and our daughter’s doing -I can take credit for appreciating good grub, but do yourself a favour and decline anything I might offer that I’ve cooked myself more involved than scrambled eggs and bacon. ;)

These were some cheaper cuts of beef (oxymoron at these GPS coordinates) slow cooked for 5 hrs with some canned chili sauces. Made for some pretty easy “pulling”, and almost a day later absent the gastric after effects I usually encounter with any type of beef other than hamburger. Funny that lamb or pork never affect me that way.