The food thread

32 is pretty warm... Oh you mean Fahrenheit! :) .

Sort of a joke, thanks Ed my cheap Extech multimeter has a type K ice-point built in so I am set in either case. We did the temperature sensors for the heat shield on the space shuttle and had to keep 0.001 degree standards traceable directly to NIST at three temperatures, it does give one pause over where the tax dollars go.

( cabbage pizza on a regular basis)

There is quite a fun anti-authenticity movement going on here these days, master chefs doing clam pizza, spam and pineapple fried rice, etc. I have to thank you BTW every time our farm share sends a chunk of rump or chuck roast I make a batch of biltong out of it. I found a good recipe and adapted it to a standard food dryer. It will sustain us on an all day drive to SY country tomorrow.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Had a simple breakfast yesterday. Gluten Free Bread with Mainland Butter with Proper German Fleishweist from Berlin with tomato and spicy jalapeno sauce that looks like someone had a good time.

Attachments

• 137-diyaudio.jpg
    137-diyaudio.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 89
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Charles Darwin is correct on this. Devon is typically pork, but Bologna is usually every other meat thrown in.
Devon (sausage - Wikipedia)

The stuff that I had was a much more cleaner taste than the usual Bologna labelled as Devon that I have but very spicy but not overpowering, ie it didn't make me feel sick (Bologna typically makes me very sick).

I will say that I did like this type of Devon but I don't like cheaper Devon meats (that resemble Bologna but are sold as "Devon".). I suppose I do like some types of pork but this one that I had was very spicy and therefore tasty.

More plain porks, I'm not a fan. I would have to have spices in the meat and if that is the case then I might as well eat Tofu meat.

I love Salami.

Last edited:
One 350 gram jar of peanut butter costs roughly USD4 in the shop. One kilogram of roasted and salted peanuts costs approx USD3.30.

I buy one pack and simply puts them, little by little in the grinder/blender and processes them until desired crunchyness or smoothness. I run a little at a time as grounded peanuts are bit like concrete.
This process normally gives a pretty smooth butter, but occassionally (to many s, c or l?) I have to add some good oil and also a dash of honey, syrup to make the butter a bit smoother and a slight sweet taste.

And I like MY butter better than the readymade.

I like me a bit of peanut butter.
I usually buy the african version here which is meant for cooking because there is no sugar or salt added.
Tastes better without either I find.
Never thought about making it myself but in my defence the price difference is much smaller here.

My 'fruit salad' is very similar to mine but I don't blend it. Just cut it into cubes and leave it in the fridge for a while.

There's the pb grinders at a few of our local grocery stores. It's hardly more expensive than buying the plastic jars from the shelves and infinitely better.

(I probably eat a pbj for lunch 66% of the time)
(Also, homemade low-sugar strawberry jam)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Let me guess, you watched how it was made?

no for a long time my mum bought the cheapest "Devon" available which was basically just Bologna. The really. cheap. stuff.

More expensive Bologna I'm sure has its fans. And this is Bologna without olives, I love Bologna with olives aka Mortadella. I'm talking about the dog meat stuff that makes you want to throw up.

Last edited: