The food thread

I think this might be the year I finally plant some horseradish in a bucket (you have to constrain it as it takes over).

My mom's cousin (wounded in the Battle of the Bulge) was a barber and used to cut my hair when I was 3 or 4 years old. These old Poles made everything from scratch and had a bucket of home made horseradish in the basement. After I got the haircut one of the uncles told me to go over and smell the bucket. I fell over backwards and all the old roosters cackled.

Another uncle who was a Physician (to this class of the same "generis") had a woman patient with severe facial burns from grinding horseradish without a mask. As the old doc had served a couple tours of duty in Korea he would never touch the stuff.

Geez, know I can remember my Grandmother burning the feathers off the chickens -- eeooouuuwww.

would never touch the stuff.

My wife and I went on a search here in FL for the stuff and tried this promising looking one (not too commercial looking). Turns out it was from Eu Claire WI and blew the doors off. There appears to be a small group of mid-west German retirees here.

I was thinking after reading all the folks slamming sushi in American for not having real fresh grated wasabi someone should start a movement to just use fresh grated horseradish instead of the silly green colored powdered stuff.

The stuff I had was mild but flavorful.
Maybe the species ?

The bite and aroma of the horseradish root are almost absent until it is grated or ground. During this process, as the root cells are crushed, isothiocyanates are released. Vinegar stops this reaction and stabilizes the flavor. For milder horseradish, vinegar is added immediately.

Try it some time out of the garden for 15 min or so with no vinegar, it will ring your bell.

Combinations that are gross or maximization of the unhealthiness.
We must be getting something else here. The beef and lamb are those vertical meat tubes with bad stuff in them no doubt but the chicken is stacked boneless, skinless thighs with the rest of the ingredients being veggies, chili sauce and Tzatziki, (and sometimes Feta) inside a thin pita.

Nothing unhealthy about that, quite the opposite.

I bought the other half a new cooker over Christmas and the first thing to happen was the turkey got overcooked.
Then there was the nut and date loaf with Degrees F dialed into the Degrees C dial.
It rose all wrong but at least with the blackened top cut off the remainder was saved.
OOps!!!

Attachments

• DSCF4898.JPG
    DSCF4898.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 73
How about living for over 30 years with an army trained chef who has done a butchers course?
The local slaughter house is the go to place for meat.
The head and trotters are the first bits to go into the pot so that we can make what we in the UK call pork brawn.
All that on a day when the newspapers are telling us that factory prepared meals are bad for us.

Attachments

• DSCF4900.JPG
    DSCF4900.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF4904.JPG
    DSCF4904.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF4907.JPG
    DSCF4907.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 65
I like Snotty. I think that describes bad attitude pretty well :D

Finally worked out what you guys were talking about with the Donair. In UK these are not food. They are what you eat when you are too drunk to think and have shaggy style munchies. All town centres have a van of death serving these to the unsuspecting.

Currently Europe is trying to get them banned due phosphate levels in the meat.

They are definitely not trying to ban döner kebabs in Germany, it is the most popular fast food ahead of sausages&fries, burgers or pizza.
Instead in good german style they have been regulated for decades now.
One of the rules says that only a small percentage of the meat (none for chicken) can be mince (ground) meat, the majority must be sliced meat. They also use turkish flatbread rather than pitta.
Every time I visit Germany the first thing I do is to get me a really nice kebab followed by a Lahmaçun!
Last time I was in Berlin they just had had a survey of the best kebab stalls. The winner now has a permanent queue and you are lucky if you only wait for 'only' half an hour to get served!
However the one that was the best IMO closed down 15 years ago. Instead of skewered kebab meat they were just grilling a whole lamb in a giant rotisserie.

I don't eat kebabs in the UK since the meat looks like it is a mixture of cheap mince and even cheaper 'mechanically retrieved meat'.