The food thread

2Kg beef bones, 1KG chuck roast cut in two. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Pour off water, cover with fresh water and simmer. Char 2-7cm pieces of ginger and a couple of onions, peel and add to the broth, add two scallions, 8 star anise, 6 cloves, 1 cassia stick, 2 tsp fennel seeds, 2 tsp coriander seeds, 2Tbsp sugar, 80ml fish sauce. Simmer for 5 hrs and strain.

No sure but it's shown in every Pho broth recipe. I too would have thought it might be to rid the broth of something undesireable. Something like not having refrigeration and the need to cleanse. Not sure but the tradition carries on no matter.

From the owner of "The Slanted Door",

In Vietnam, we generally don't have ovens, but we still need to make this broth be clear and flavorful. So instead, we blanch the bone. It takes 30 to 60 seconds, then you rinse it in cold water and put it back in your pot. Bring it up really slow -- never a super hard boil. This is to achieve clarity.

Jacques Pepin demonstrated the method for clearing broth -- requires lots of egg whites.

I suppose if you have some Slavic tendencies you can make babka with the yolks.

Just watched that last week, it's the waste that bothers me. Egg fining usually yielded only about 1/3 of the starting volume for me. His technique seemed better but the Pho technique gets enough and what's left is good for a lot of things.

Funny guy, he did a show with an old buddy and they both did one too many glasses of wine.

Last edited:
Graham Kerr, ah yes. At the start he'd be smartly dressed and by the end not so much.

My Mom watched the show. She would match him glass for glass.

The show came on at 4pm. Those were some interesting meals those evenings I'll tell ya.

My favorite GK moment was talking about walking on squid being like someone's scrotum with (well you know what).

Graham Kerr, ah yes. At the start he'd be smartly dressed and by the end not so much.

My Mom watched the show. She would match him glass for glass.

The show came on at 4pm. Those were some interesting meals those evenings I'll tell ya.

GK...and on top of it all he was an ex UK army hofficer!

Your mum would match him glass for glass during his show and THEN again as she cooked your food! What a girl!